• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

2016 GTL Exclusive OE Extra Tall Seat vs. Aftermarket Seat

swanee53

Swanee
I just picked up a new-to-me 2016 K1600GTL Exclusive with the OE Standard height seat. At 6' 3" and a 34+" inseam I feel like I'm sitting in a hole. The dealer tells me the OE Extra Tall replacement seat would be perfect. But, before I drop $1,000 on a factory seat, are there any better aftermarket options?

Also 6'3" and 34".
I went with the Sargent option.
Fits me fine but I also lowered the pegs.

Joe

I just picked up a new-to-me 2016 K1600GTL Exclusive with the OE Standard height seat. At 6' 3" and a 34+" inseam I feel like I'm sitting in a hole. The dealer tells me the OE Extra Tall replacement seat would be perfect. But, before I drop $1,000 on a factory seat, are there any better aftermarket options?

Any of the quality seat builders can add height to a stock seat during a rebuild. Going shorter is the hard part. And virtually all of them can do it for less $$$ than the BMW tall seat.

Well, since I'm keen on keeping things as close to OE as possible (in this case, matching seat material with back and arm rest material), I went with the BMW OE Extra Tall seat, finding it for almost $400 off the $1,035 BMW List price my dealer, Engle Motors, and Bob's BMW both quoted me. Sierra BMW in Reno, NV, sold it to me for $665, delivered. And that's $100 less than Sargent quoted, as well.
It was a breeze to retrofit, completely opposite the forum threads I found complaining about the difficulty of the electrical connector and needing to take the seat to the dealer for lock tumbler R&R. It took me 5 minutes, total.
And boy, is the seating position a world of difference. Instead of feeling as though I'm squatting in a hole with my knees above my hips, I'm riding "on" the bike now, not "in" it.

im only 5-11 and found my 2016 gtle seat very low, my wife who is only 5-2 hated not having me block the wind on her. being cheap i bought a fuzzy seat pad that is gel which raised me about a inch.

maybe someday i will buy another seat but suspect it will be attached to a new bike....so for now this is a solution that has worked.

Back