• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Calculating minimum turning radius

brownie0486

I'm looking to find out what the minimum turning radius is on my 2012 1200GS.

I'm not a math wiz, so formula's won't help me unless it's simple math. Links maybe?

Thanks

I read in a Rider Magazine article that the author did a u-turn in two parking spaces. So that's a general idea.

The minimum turning radius at full lock and the radius which can be achieved by a trained (moto Cop style) competitive cone rider are not the same and would be hard to calculate in any event.

This procedure gives the turning radius for the motorcycle at full lock and zero degrees lean angle. Better make sure your training wheels are attached firmly.

LOL..yeah, that website is pretty useless....unless you are just looking for upright duck paddle radius.

Well brownie0486 did not say what the number would be used for. Maybe he wants to know whether he can make a U-turn with his bike by moving it by hand/feet in his garage? In such a case the number calculated by math would do.

/Guenther

Hold the front brake, light up the rear tire, pivot it around on your foot. Turning radius is your wheelbase. :laugh

If we can establish an upright turning radius, then it will be less when leaning the bike in cone events. Just looking for the turning radius of the bike if you walked it in a circle bars at full lock.

2 parking spaces is 18 feet in diameter. I know the GS is less than that, some guys are getting into 16 foot circles cleanly. I was just wondering what the minimum radius would be for the bike. As I mentioned, higher level math isn't a strong suit. Some good with the numbers could probably run the numbers based on the wheelbase though, :thumb

Actually, this is an excellent rider training exercise to each low speed turns. The handlebars to full lock, lean the bike towards the direction of turn and position yourself to the outside of the bike (counter-weighting the bike). This should enable you to make the Moto-Cop turn described by Mr. Glaves. It's also a good prep move for right-hand turns to avoid running wide into oncoming traffic.

Is this a legit question? Why in the name of all things holy would you even care...?

When we were preparing to go riding in Southern Africa Voni and I both practiced doing U turns to the right and to the left until we could do them within the width of two parking places. Why? So we were sure we could do a right-hand U turn on a typical paved roadway with traffic riding/driving in the left and not right lanes. Preparing with these kinds of skills has the ability to save a persons life in a pinch.

Is this a legit question? Why in the name of all things holy would you even care...?

Of course it's a legit question. Top competitors ride certain bikes due to rake, wheelbase. If wheelbase matters relative turning radius' then the next logical question is what the numbers look like.

Go out to a parking lot, put the bike in neutral, and stand it upright. Move the bars to full lock and walk the bike thru a 180 degree turn. Measure the diameter. The "real" practical answer is going to be somewhere between what you measured and two parking spaces.

When we were preparing to go riding in Southern Africa Voni and I both practiced doing U turns to the right and to the left until we could do them within the width of two parking places. Why? So we were sure we could do a right-hand U turn on a typical paved roadway with traffic riding/driving in the left and not right lanes. Preparing with these kinds of skills has the ability to save a persons life in a pinch.

It's also critical for those folks that ride in side-by-side herd formation. If the rider on the right, doesn't make the low speed right-hand turn within a very small radius, the whole herd can go down.

Go out to a parking lot, put the bike in neutral, and stand it upright. Move the bars to full lock and walk the bike thru a 180 degree turn. Measure the diameter. The "real" practical answer is going to be somewhere between what you measured and two parking spaces.

Like this guy. Upright, it appears his GS turns in something around 15 feet [ two car slots are 18 feet ]. When he leans the bike, looks like he's scrubbing another 2+ feet off that diameter for something around 12-13 feet in diameter.

It's also critical for those folks that ride in side-by-side herd formation. If the rider on the right, doesn't make the low speed right-hand turn within a very small radius, the whole herd can go down.

Deservedly so. :banghead

Back