Thread: Convert 12 volts to 5 volts

Convert 12 volts to 5 volts

I would like to find a source for a electronic gizmo which will drop voltage from 12 to 5 volts.I saw one as an aftermarket on a K16 this summer at a rally. It was connected directly to the battery and the gizmo was the size of a relay with a 4ft lead running from it to connect to a device.
    Presently i have a converter connected to my SAE 2 pin plug but would like to keep this connection for a heated vest, etc.

What i would like is the gizmo to be connected to my secondary fuse panel so when i turn on the moto, power is supplied to the gizmo. TIA

There are several examples available on Amazon, a 12Vdc to 5Vdc converter rated for 3 Amps can be had for under $20.

Bill,

If you connect such a device directly to the battery, it will probably draw current even when nothing is connected to the 5 V side since the voltage conversion circuit runs continuously. If you do install it, check the current draw with everything shut down so you don't wind up with a dead battery.
    Karl
    2007 R1200ST

Quote Originally Posted by kthutchinson View Post
    Bill,

If you connect such a device directly to the battery, it will probably draw current even when nothing is connected to the 5 V side since the voltage conversion circuit runs continuously. If you do install it, check the current draw with everything shut down so you don't wind up with a dead battery.
    That's a legitimate concern, and should be checked. But FWIW, I had a cheap USB connection wired directly to the battery for a few years that drew no measurable current unless my phone was plugged in. I checked it several times with three different mA meters, could not measure any current, never saw any reduction in starting power.
    Larry
    2006 R1200RT

What are you powering with it? Tons of 12 volt to USB cables on Amazon. Pretty inexpensive too. I bought one to power a Garmin GPS but it didn't work and found a Garmin cable that worked.
    From the only real Fargo, ND!

Quote Originally Posted by PoorUB View Post
    What are you powering with it? Tons of 12 volt to USB cables on Amazon. Pretty inexpensive too. I bought one to power a Garmin GPS but it didn't work and found a Garmin cable that worked.
    Battery tender has a USB port that connects to a SAE pigtail. Amp rating 2.1

https://www.amazon.com/Battery-Tende.../dp/B00DJ5KEF4
    Cave contents: 16 R12RS, 13 Toyota Tacoma, 03 Simplicity Legacy, 97 Stihl FS75, Dewalt DW625 & SawStop PCS175
    1) My expectations are never low enough & 2) Incompetence is infinite ........David Brooks

Quote Originally Posted by kthutchinson View Post
    Bill,

When the time comes to make connections, I have a spare switched fuse panel (which I installed with a relay) which I will connect the converter to, so there will be no power to the converter when the RS is turned OFF.

12 volt converter to 5 volts

Thanks for the replies. I will do some searching on Amazon.