• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

2002 K1200LT 32k miles value.

richw

There is one for sale near me. I rode it some time ago, and had no issues. Ran smoothly, started and shifted well, reverse worked. Radio and cruise worked. ABS lights seemed normal. No serious cosmetic problems, perhaps a scratch or two.

Don't know the maintainance history, but it looks good. 2nd owner, and he doesn't ride it. (Harley-guy)

NADA shows $2535 to $2980 average retail (depending on whether it is Custom, Elite, or Standard). I included cruise (only) as an option. Think it was standard on most or all models, although there may be other options.

Kelly Blue Book is higher. $2765 to $3105 trade-in, depending on model. $3965 to $4455 retail.

It has a trailer hitch, heated grips and seat, and CD player.
Ignoring the KBB retail, the highest price for any model is $3105. I was thinking of offering him that. Any thoughts as to price, or things I should look for or need to expect?

Edited:
Forgot to mention, it indicates 32k miles.

Last edited:
There is one for sale near me. I rode it some time ago, and had no issues. Ran smoothly, started and shifted well, reverse worked. Radio and cruise worked. ABS lights seemed normal. No serious cosmetic problems, perhaps a scratch or two.

Don't know the maintainance history, but it looks good. 2nd owner, and he doesn't ride it. (Harley-guy)

NADA shows $2535 to $2980 average retail (depending on whether it is Custom, Elite, or Standard). I included cruise (only) as an option. Think it was standard on most or all models, although there may be other options.

Kelly Blue Book is higher. $2765 to $3105 trade-in, depending on model. $3965 to $4455 retail.

It has a trailer hitch, heated grips and seat, and CD player.
Ignoring the KBB retail, the highest price for any model is $3105. I was thinking of offering him that. Any thoughts as to price, or things I should look for or need to expect?

$3,000

$3,000[/QUOTE

Offered $3k. He says 4k or he'll keep it.

Well, don't fail to buy a bike you want because of my opinion. If you decide what you think it's worth then ...

Almost nobody pays KBB "retail" in a private sale because retail pricing presupposes some degree of scrutiny and an obligation of truthfulness from a dealership which is seldom present with a private sale. On the other hand NADA is just a book to wave around when they don't want to allow much in trade in, and for insurance adjusters to use to give lowball settlement offers. Ask me how I really feel about that little orange book.

Just an opinion after owning a K1200lt for about 125,000 miles. I loved the bike except at low speeds. It never left me on the side of the road but EVERYTHING that has been reported as a weak point broke and had to be replaced to my bike. (Clutch slave cylinder leak which took out the clutch, rear end bearing failure, rear brake rotor wore out, abs module failed,the poorly tempered springs had to be replaced along with the shocks) Maintenance is difficult and expensive and it goes through expensive tires like there is no tomorrow. Maintenance and repairs cost in excess of the retail price of the bike while I had it.

I loved mine. I was very happy to see it leave and I would never recommend anyone waste their money on one.

[/QUOTE Offered $3k. He says 4k or he'll keep it.[/QUOTE]

He's dreaming. Let him keep it. The K1200LT at this point seems to be the most unwanted BMW motorcycle out there. And for good reasons. The previous poster pointed out a lot of them. They are heavy, outdated, difficult to work on, and, as that guy will quickly find out, just about impossible to get rid of. I've seen them for $2000 and no one will touch them. There must be a reason you are considering purchasing one, but for the life of me, given all the better BMWs out there, I can't figure out what it would be. Check out Chris Harris's video and opinion on the K1200LTs. I think you'll find it enlightening.

Thanks for the input.

I presume you meant this video:
https://youtu.be/lxbO7QV067s
I think I deciphered how Chris really feels.

When I bought my RS I had considered an LT, but figured the number of times I would take a really long ride would be few and far between, and the number of times I regretted buying an 800+ pound monster not-so-few. I think I made the right decision. On the other hand, for those really long rides, and if I had two. . .

Thanks for the input. I don't feel bad about not getting it.

I pick up two of them one is a 2000 with 23k and the last one is 2001 with 14k. I happen to like that style of BMW. If you cannot work on them your shelf and have a lot patience then I would stay away from them. The last one I got for $1800.00 nice and clean. And a friend just pick up a 2000 with 10k for $2500.00 There is a lot of go deals out there. I look for the 2001 and early as there brake system is less complicated.

[QUOTE:I don't feel bad about not getting it.[/QUOTE]

Good for you. I really think you've saved yourself a lot of grief. Keep looking. You'll find a better machine that suits you. There are lots out there. But don't be surprised if you get a call from the guy in a few weeks saying he'll "let it go for $3000."

RichW, Its an awesome bike when everything works and its nice to get a BMW at a low price. That being said, I currently have a 2001 that I bought 8 months ago because it was such a great deal at $1,000 from a guy that just didn't ride anymore. I spent a few bucks on a windscreen, backrest, new tires and changed all fluids. Now I have about $1,600 invested and last week the clutch started slipping....... Its not the clutch its a leaking main output shaft seal leaking oil on the clutch. $38 seal and a hell of a lot of work to replace! Dealer wants $1,200 buck due to 10+hours of labor. If the bike worked 100% I couldn't get my $1,600 out of it. My 2cents, look for a well maintained bike with some records over a low mileage bike and don't pay too much. Like many have stated, lots of them for sale

Don't really want to start a new thread, but I found a 1999 K1200LT, with 55k miles - under $2000.

Based on VIN it has heated seats, heated grips, cruise control, high windshield, chrome package and CD changer. Warranty work for radio, throttle cable, sensor defect code 6510007700, and an engine guard (whatever that is), according to a nearby dealer.

Seller says it has never been down, everything works, it is rideable, and it needs a battery.

This sounds more reasonable, and I think I'll take a ride to look at it tomorrow.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Update:
Sounded too good to be true, and it was.

It had been down on both sides. Not hard, but down. Battery dead. Jumped it off, and I rode it about 5 miles. ABS never stopped flashing. Returned, and reverse didn't work, either (although I suspect that may be just the battery.

Too bad, it had the suspension upgraded and stainless steel brake lines.

I passed on it.

Last edited:
Baitweller points out one of the Achilles Heals of these bikes, and one of the reasons they are selling so cheaply: rear main seal leaks. These LTs are now nearing 20 years old, and those seals seem to fail with age rather than miles. In fact low mileage may be worse for them. And as mentioned, the seal is cheap, the labor to replace it is not. The $1200 quoted sounds cheap to me. I've seen quotes over $2000.
The older K12LTs are popping up around me for around $2000, which makes them tempting. But I'd recommend that buyers either find one with the seal already replaced, or have the willingness to do the job yourself.

OK. Rear seal and more miles may not be a bad thing. . .

Just got off the phone with a man from nearby who has an '01 k12LT listed at $2,200, but is clearly willing to sell for less. Rear end replaced at 44k, clutch (and presumably seals) replaced some time after.

The bike has 110k miles on it, and normally I would dismiss it out of hand - but perhaps that is wrong. Assuming the bike is in good shape cosmetically, and rides and shifts OK, ABS (and indicator lights) are functional, etc. Is it worth considering?

I understand that it is better to ride one regularly and maintain it than to ride it sporadically and not maintain it - but how many miles is too many?

OK. Rear seal and more miles may not be a bad thing. . .

Just got off the phone with a man from nearby who has an '01 k12LT listed at $2,200, but is clearly willing to sell for less. Rear end replaced at 44k, clutch (and presumably seals) replaced some time after.

The bike has 110k miles on it, and normally I would dismiss it out of hand - but perhaps that is wrong. Assuming the bike is in good shape cosmetically, and rides and shifts OK, ABS (and indicator lights) are functional, etc. Is it worth considering?

I understand that it is better to ride one regularly and maintain it than to ride it sporadically and not maintain it - but how many miles is too many?

Those engines are generally bullet proof for the first 250,000 miles or so.

Long time owner of K1200 LT ( 2)

In short, its a used exotic that is expensive to work on and anything that goes wrong with it costs 2000 to repair. Lots of things are reported by owners but that being said, I love mine and keep it because it isn't worth anything and its as reliable as rain getting me from point A to point B. I would rather sell it for 1000 to a guy that would use it than just sell it for 2000 to anyone. I have worked on mine and find them fairly easy now that I have done it a while. They are gorgeous bikes. Offer no more than 2500 for even the best of examples. Look for Ohlin shocks, replaced and no rear main seal leaks.. ( I have one for about three years.... bike runs flawlessly.

I mean really... a used bmw of that age is a crapshoot unless you want to take a risk.. same with an old car ... but on the other hand.. its only 2000 bucks..

If you want a reliable bike, I will sell you my 2000 for 1800 and guarantee it will get you to wherever you want to drive it home. I am in Mesa.

I have three bikes besides that one.

Paul

So I think the value is 2500 at max even for the best LT.... Anyone who wants more is

Going to keep it for a while. And lots of us do keep them rather than unload them. Almost all BMWs are valued by their current owner at about 25 to 40 percent more than they are possibly worth and thus they don't sell very well. My theory is that all used buyers are infinitely aware of the potential for disaster with repairs.

Dealers have the ability to take trades, warrant a bike briefly and have done safety checks. For my money, I would get an old GS 1150 for 2500 to 3500 as it will open more doors and is infinitely more resaleable. Or get both.

I almost went to the "dark side" and bought a 'Wing I ran into, but at the last second went and looked at at K12LT with 110k miles on it.

Really well cared for, and records of clutch, clutch master cylinder, main seal, and rear end replaced in the last 30k miles.

No doubt it contributed to the end of the previous owner's motorcycling - I ended up with multiple helmets, jackets, pants, rainsuits, and a K1200LT for $2000. I love it so far, and am hoping for the best, but prepared for the worst.

Back