• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

Does anyone know ?? Rear Drive Compatibility

snookers

DBLUPPR
Does anyone know :scratch if a rear drive from a 2006 BMW K1200 LT/RS, will fit on a 2005 K1200S. Looking at having a spare unit on hand.

I can't help much with the question, although the part numbers between the two are different.

I'm going to edit the title in order to add some context to the thread so people have a general idea of what is being asked about!

I'm interested in knowing if the rear drive unit would fit, as I'd be using it with a sidecar rig and really don't care if the bike does a 150 miles an hour

If the illustrations in the parts fiche are correct the answer is no. The K1200LT uses the same final drive style as the earlier paralever equipped bikes, but the K1200S appears to have the later design "big hole" final drive with a large hole side-to-side through the center of the final drive. The former has the paralever strut below the final drive and the latter has that strut above the final drive.

Can an owner of each of these models please verify what their bike has please?

If the model in question is actually the K1200R Sport, that bike uses the big-hole style FD in a 32:1 configuration, while the K1200S also uses the big-hole FD but in 31:11 ratio. There could also be differences due to ABS1/ABS2 implementations. The diagrams in the parts fiche are useful for finding which bits BMW sells today to fit those bikes, but can’t really answer questions like this one. This needs input from owners of the respective machines and/or a service tech who has lots of hands-on with these two bikes. And K1200R Sport production was pretty limited IIRC...

best,
DeVern

If the model in question is actually the K1200R Sport, that bike uses the big-hole style FD in a 32:1 configuration, while the K1200S also uses the big-hole FD but in 31:11 ratio. There could also be differences due to ABS1/ABS2 implementations. The diagrams in the parts fiche are useful for finding which bits BMW sells today to fit those bikes, but can’t really answer questions like this one. This needs input from owners of the respective machines and/or a service tech who has lots of hands-on with these two bikes. And K1200R Sport production was pretty limited IIRC...

best,
DeVern

DeVern has verified that the K1200S has a big hole drive. Now will some former Curve Cowboy please verify that the K1200LT does not? Please?

Well, I’m cornfused so let me get my head straight.

K1200RS: https://www.motorcyclespecs.co.za/model/bmw/bmw_k1200rs 01.htm

K1200LT: https://www.motorcyclespecs.co.za/model/bmw/bmw_k1200lt 06.htm

As Paul pointed out, both the above machines have the older-style, “non-big-hole” FD. They also have the swingarm on the RH side of the bike and FD pivot concentric with the driveshaft u-joint. Personally, I don’t see any interchangeability between these and the bikes listed below, both of which have the big-hole FD with swingarm on the LH side of the bike and the FD pivot below the centerline of the driveshaft.

K1200R Sport: https://www.motorcyclespecs.co.za/model/bmw/bmw_k1200r_sport 07.htm

K1200S: https://www.motorcyclespecs.co.za/model/bmw/bmw_k1200s 05.htm

I would strongly suspect the FD units from the last two bikes to have some interchangeability, and they do have different FD ratios according to RealOEM, but I can’t vouch for that or for ABS compatibility. Owners to the white phone, please.

BMW hasn’t made it easy to track models, doing things like producing a K1200GT in both brick-k and wedge-k formats. And, I seem to remember some of the literature of the day referring to the K1200R Sport as “K1200RS or K1200R-S”. Still easier to sort out than the alphabet soup that H-D uses, tho-just sayin’...

Best,
DeVern

Last edited:
Does anyone know :scratch if a rear drive from a 2006 BMW K1200 LT/RS, will fit on a 2005 K1200S. Looking at having a spare unit on hand.

Short answer - no. The K1200LT/RS used the brick motor and the final drive (notice I didn't say differential, Paul :)) was not the big hole variety. Also, it was located on the right side of the bike - opposite side to the K1200S.

Question - Why do you want a spare? I don't think the big hole FDs have a history of failure. :scratch

BC1100S;1180984
Question - Why do you want a spare? I don't think the big hole FDs have a history of failure. :scratch

I have a 2005 K1200S and recently replaced the rear drive because of a rear drive bearing failure on my sidecar rig. The failure resulted in taking out the bevel gear as well, hence the replacement. Both rear drive units below have the large hole in the rear drive housing. I suspect, correct me if I'm wrong, that the difference in the drives is the gearing. Because I'm running the K1200S with a sidecar, and really don't care about the high speed this bike is capable of, I'm wondering should the rear drive from the K1200 LT/RS fit on the "S" bike, might it be a better choice as a drive unit for my application.
And BC1100S, I only want a spare unit sitting in the garage as a spare, and am not in a hurry to attain one but wanting to do some research with the vast resources available to me in this forum.
And I thank all those who have chimed in so far

2006 BMW K1200R K1200S K1300S Right Angle Final Drive Axle p/n 33 11 8 530 085

2006 BMW K1200 LT/RS Right Angle Gearbox Final Drive Rear Axle p/n 33117661909

As BC1100S said, it will not work.
The LT/RS final drive is on the right side of the bike.
The LT/RS torque arm id on the bottom.
The LT/RS rear brake mounts on top.

IMG_0036.jpg

IMG_0112.jpg

Nice price if its as advertised! It certainly appears that it will fit your 1200S. I'll venture a guess that one should work.

If the photo is correct and the description is in error it should work. If the description is correct and the photo is not, then it won't work. Call the seller and ask which is correct.

ADDED: I just got on eBay and contacted the seller to point out the discrepancy between the description and the photograph. The question and answer should show up on the item page. If I get a direct response I'll let the Forum know.

Last edited:
Just thought of something. You may want to look for one that has a drain plug in the bottom.
I don't know what year they started using a drain plug.

The drain plug adds convenience in servicing, but negates the one one advantage of the earlier drives—where changing gear lube forced an inspection of the splines on the FD. I like to think BMW Engineering considered that in the design, hence the lack of an easily accessible drain plug. Then Marketing stepped in, and “Lubed for Life” was born. Later, the drain plug got added due to customer feedback, FD splines started getting ignored, Engineering got to point out how stupid Marketing can be, and here we are...
;)

Best,
DeVern

I received an answer from the ebay seller - see my Post # 16 - and the seller confirmed that the photo is correct and the description is incorrect.

The seller's response was, "Thank you for looking at our products,
You are absolutely right and thank you for pointing it out to me, the pictures are the right ones.
I took them a fews days ago. I will change the text description accordingly to a K1200S/GT or K1300S/GT."

Last edited:
I received an answer from the ebay seller - see my Post # xx - and the seller confirmed that the photo is correct and the description is incorrect.

The seller's response was, "Thank you for looking at our products,
You are absolutely right and thank you for pointing it out to me, the pictures are the right ones.
I took them a fews days ago. I will change the text description accordingly to a K1200S/GT or K1300S/GT."

Now that we know for sure, it looks like a good price.

Back