Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Does anyone know ?? Rear Drive Compatibility

Quote Originally Posted by BC1100S View Post
    Nice price if its as advertised! It certainly appears that it will fit your 1200S. I'll venture a guess that one should work.
    If the photo is correct and the description is in error it should work. If the description is correct and the photo is not, then it won't work. Call the seller and ask which is correct.

ADDED: I just got on eBay and contacted the seller to point out the discrepancy between the description and the photograph. The question and answer should show up on the item page. If I get a direct response I'll let the Forum know.
    Last edited by PGlaves; 10-10-2019 at 12:11 AM.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

Quote Originally Posted by Lee View Post
    Just thought of something. You may want to look for one that has a drain plug in the bottom.
    I don't know what year they started using a drain plug.
    The drain plug adds convenience in servicing, but negates the one one advantage of the earlier drives—where changing gear lube forced an inspection of the splines on the FD. I like to think BMW Engineering considered that in the design, hence the lack of an easily accessible drain plug. Then Marketing stepped in, and “Lubed for Life” was born. Later, the drain plug got added due to customer feedback, FD splines started getting ignored, Engineering got to point out how stupid Marketing can be, and here we are...

Best,
    DeVern
    DGerber
    1983 R80ST — 1984 R80 G/S-PD — 2004 K1200GT w/Hannigan S/C — 2010 K1300GT — 2018 R1200GS
    BMWMOA#52184, AMA#271542, IBA#138

I received an answer from the ebay seller - see my Post # 16 - and the seller confirmed that the photo is correct and the description is incorrect.

The seller's response was, "Thank you for looking at our products,
    You are absolutely right and thank you for pointing it out to me, the pictures are the right ones.
    I took them a fews days ago. I will change the text description accordingly to a K1200S/GT or K1300S/GT."
    Last edited by PGlaves; 10-10-2019 at 04:30 PM.
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell

Quote Originally Posted by PGlaves View Post
    I received an answer from the ebay seller - see my Post # xx - and the seller confirmed that the photo is correct and the description is incorrect.

The seller's response was, "Thank you for looking at our products,
    You are absolutely right and thank you for pointing it out to me, the pictures are the right ones.
    I took them a fews days ago. I will change the text description accordingly to a K1200S/GT or K1300S/GT."
    Now that we know for sure, it looks like a good price.
    Lee
    2016 R1200RS
    MOA # 30878
    Past BMW Bikes: 2011 K1300S, 2003 K1200RS, 1991 K75S, 1987 K75T, 1984 R100RT

Thankyou Gentlemen for your interest and responses......an offer has been made, so now we wait.....
    2000 R1100RT , 2005 K1200S w/hack
    Niagara BMW Riders #298 BMWMCO #45
    "Always look on the bright side of life" (Monte Python)

Well I got it.....200US dollars all in shipped. The unit looks great cosmetically and appears to be solid

K1200S rear drive.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by snookers View Post
    Well I got it.....200US dollars all in shipped. The unit looks great cosmetically and appears to be solid

K1200S rear drive.jpg
    Excellent. I love it when stuff works out like this.

Left Coast Rider
    Quote Originally Posted by snookers View Post
    Well I got it.....200US dollars all in shipped. The unit looks great cosmetically and appears to be solid.
    Nice! If you ever need it you've just saved a tonne of dough.

And if I ever need one, I know who to call!

Left Coast Rider

Another thought.....

Would it be possible that one of the reasons for your FD failure is the addition of the sidecar has placed a not-designed-for side load on the bearings due to the "no lean" cornering attitude of the rig?
    Last edited by BC1100S; 10-22-2019 at 12:32 AM. Reason: typo

Quote Originally Posted by BC1100S View Post
    Would it be possible that one of the reasons for your FD failure is the addition of the sidecar has placed a not-designed-for side load on the bearings due to the "no lean" cornering attitude of the rig?

Time will tell......time will tell...….although, the previous owner told me that a local shop had replaced the BIG and needle bearings on the drive approx. two years before I purchased it. Perhaps the failure was the result of shoddy workmanship? I'll be monitoring the drive at every oil change in an attempt to have it not fail on me while on the road......but we all know that s_yt happens