Thread: Location of 10-pin connector for use with GS-911 diagnostic tool on 2016 R1200RT?

Location of 10-pin connector for use with GS-911 diagnostic tool on 2016 R1200RT?

I upgraded my bike from a 2013 F800GT to a 2016 R1200RT. I'm loving every minute with it. But still learning where all the fiddly bits are located...

I can't find the 10-pin connector to interface with my GS-911 diagnostic tool. Tried under both seats and under both left- and right-side triangular panels. Under-seat pix attached.

Any hints?
    Attached Images Attached Images

On my RS it's under the right side triangle panel next to the red cap.
    The connector has a cover over it.
    Lee
    2016 R1200RS
    MOA # 30878
    Past BMW Bikes: 2011 K1300S, 2003 K1200RS, 1991 K75S, 1987 K75T, 1984 R100RT

I had no problem finding connector plug on my WC GS.
    Being curious on the WC RT, I found this pic on the hexcode site.

http://dl2.hexcode.co.za/products/gs...nosticPlug.jpg

If you have the older yellow GS-911, you'll need to upgrade to the newer red Wi-Fi model. The Wethead bikes use different electronics with both a CANBUS and a LINBUS. The older yellow GS-911 will not work with these systems.
    Larry
    2006 R1200RT

Quote Originally Posted by blueridgegs View Post

Yep, under the right side cover next to the battery. And you need the red wi-fi gs-911.
    Pat

Ride Safe!
    '16 RT

Quote Originally Posted by blueridgegs View Post

Ah...problem solved!

Per the text on the website, I was looking under the triangular piece of fairing on the right side. However, the connector in the picture from the Hexcodes site you posted shows the plug not under the triangular piece but the piece in front of it. My fault for not being willing to poke around a bit more before posting my query.

Time to take off all of the plastics to learn where things are - without breaking the tabs on the upper side fairings...

Google search

Just bought a new GS-911WIFI, was looking where to plug it in to before I got started... wouldn’t you know a google search brought me to the place with all the answers. Thanks for those on this thread a couple of years ago who took the time to share what they learned.
    R. Reece Mullins Ebony R1200RT (Gretchen)
    MOA # 143779
    MOA Charter Club #5 #364 #100
    BMW MOA Vice President

Just a note to this conversation. starting with the 2017 models the diagnostic connector was switched to an OBD 2 type that will not connect to the early GS 911 wifi tool unless you have the latest tool with the OBD 2 connector.

It is called the U4 adapter. Your supplier should be able to get you hooked up if your red GS 911 doesn't match the connector on your bike.

http://www.gs911usa.com/GS-911_Accessories.html
    2018 R1200RT W - Continent traveler
    2016 S1000XR - Smile Maker
    1976 R90/6 - Just Plain Fun

Beware

Quote Originally Posted by gr8ridn2 View Post
    Just a note to this conversation. starting with the 2017 models the diagnostic connector was switched to an OBD 2 type that will not connect to the early GS 911 wifi tool unless you have the latest tool with the OBD 2 connector.

It is called the U4 adapter. Your supplier should be able to get you hooked up if your red GS 911 doesn't match the connector on your bike.

http://www.gs911usa.com/GS-911_Accessories.html
    Actually if you have a gen 1 GS-911 it won't work with your newer LC bike even with that adapter. GS-911 gen 1 was left behind with their new hardware, a choice GS-911 made that had nothing to the plug changing like they claim. Kind of a "tough luck" deal that I found out about through personal experience. After that I decided to ditch the proprietary GS-911 rig and go with Motoscan. About $100 total with no proprietary adapter and Motoscan software app. Adapter works on my cars too.
    Bill in Highlands Ranch, CO
    2012 R1200RT

I was just about to open a new thread when I found this. Next to the battery. Whodathunk it?

Thanks for taking the time to research this. Perhaps it should go in the maintenance sticky?
    Last edited by zoomie; 10-14-2019 at 09:34 PM. Reason: Clarify