Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 93

Thread: E15 - Here it comes

  1. #31
    Registered User 36654's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Central PA
    Posts
    5,478
    I wonder if Harley and AMA will invite the South Dakota Gov, Senators and US Rep to the big party in Sturgis to celebrate they're delivery of E15?? They'll all psyched........

    https://www.argusleader.com/story/ne...ou/1327747001/

    This is just too darn funny........
    Cave contents: 16 R12RS, 13 Toyota Tacoma, 03 Simplicity Legacy, 97 Stihl FS75, Dewalt DW625 & SawStop PCS175
    1) My expectations are never low enough & 2) Incompetence is infinite ........David Brooks

  2. #32
    Addicted to curves azgman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    AZ
    Posts
    1,163
    OMG are these dopes kidding? We don't need higher octane, we need higher energy per gallon, (i.e. efficiency), and that ain't ethanol! What a typical bunch of self-serving politician crap!
    MOA #107139
    RA #28511

  3. #33
    Registered User Anyname's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Portsmouth, NH
    Posts
    1,145
    I think that quite a lot of newer fuel injected vehicles of all sorts are only designed for E10. E15 is likely to cause quite a mess.
    BMW R bike rider, horizontally opposed to everything...

  4. #34
    Quote Originally Posted by Anyname View Post
    I think that quite a lot of newer fuel injected vehicles of all sorts are only designed for E10. E15 is likely to cause quite a mess.
    Do holes burned in pistons and/or burned exhaust valves qualify as "quite a mess?" Just curious.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

  5. #35
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    gig harborr ,wa
    Posts
    893
    All the rubber parts in carburetors and rubber gas hoses just melted! A mess?

  6. #36
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    Arvada, CO
    Posts
    692
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega Man View Post
    It’s sooooo amazing how many people “think” they have some sort of power storage when they have solar installed
    OM
    Check out ZapGo the UK company developing carbon-based batteries. The article I read said their current models charge ONE HUNDRED times faster than Li ion, cannot catch fire, are recyclable, and I believe I read would give electric cars (presumably of some average type) 350m range with a full charge in UNDER FIVE MINUTES. This is exactly what is needed to move EV's to become uber practical. You simply install charging stations at existing fossil fuel filling stations for the long transition period and you're good to go. This is exactly what the EV sector needs to really take off.

  7. #37
    Registered User GTRider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Nibley, UT USA
    Posts
    1,202
    Quote Originally Posted by Visian View Post
    Before I die I am getting an electric bike, an electric car and a passive solar charging and storage system.
    You forgot the electric “Jazzy” mobility scooter...


    Best,
    DeVern
    DGerber
    1983 R80ST — 1984 R80 G/S-PD — 2004 K1200GT w/Hannigan S/C — 2010 K1300GT — 2018 R1200GS
    BMWMOA#52184, AMA#271542, IBA#138

  8. #38
    Registered User GTRider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Nibley, UT USA
    Posts
    1,202
    Quote Originally Posted by 36654 View Post
    I wonder if Harley and AMA will invite the South Dakota Gov, Senators and US Rep to the big party in Sturgis to celebrate they're delivery of E15?? They'll all psyched........

    https://www.argusleader.com/story/ne...ou/1327747001/

    This is just too darn funny........
    Easy for them to promote it to the farm sector; to folks who can have dyed non-ethanol gas delivered in bulk to the farm for use in all the older tractors and ag equipment.


    Best,
    DeVern
    DGerber
    1983 R80ST — 1984 R80 G/S-PD — 2004 K1200GT w/Hannigan S/C — 2010 K1300GT — 2018 R1200GS
    BMWMOA#52184, AMA#271542, IBA#138

  9. #39
    Quote Originally Posted by GTRider View Post
    You forgot the electric “Jazzy” mobility scooter...


    Best,
    DeVern


    That thing would never make it up (or down) our mountain!

  10. #40
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega Man View Post
    It’s sooooo amazing how many people “think” they have some sort of power storage when they have solar installed
    OM
    You’ll notice I said “charging *and* storage system.”

    You’re right, though.... so many people who think we should just junk our existing electric power infrastructure and go all renewable have zero idea about the creation, distribution and consumption of electricity. Outside of actual batteries and things like the Tesla “wall” the closest thing we have to a battery for the grid is a dammed up lake.

    Ian

  11. #41
    Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat Omega Man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Mansfield,MA
    Posts
    14,266
    Quote Originally Posted by Visian View Post
    You’ll notice I said “charging *and* storage system.”

    You’re right, though.... so many people who think we should just junk our existing electric power infrastructure and go all renewable have zero idea about the creation, distribution and consumption of electricity. Outside of actual batteries and things like the Tesla “wall” the closest thing we have to a battery for the grid is a dammed up lake.

    Ian
    It’s good you realize the difference Perhaps you can spread the word to the poor souls being talked into putting panels on their roof.
    Around here, I don’t believe it will ever be cost effective when a homeowner moves forward with solar........
    Out west with a ground mounted tracking array with storage
    OM
    "You can do good or you can do well. Sooner or later they make you choose." MI5
    Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

  12. #42
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega Man View Post
    It’s good you realize the difference Perhaps you can spread the word to the poor souls being talked into putting panels on their roof.
    Around here, I don’t believe it will ever be cost effective when a homeowner moves forward with solar........
    Out west with a ground mounted tracking array with storage
    OM
    Where we live many of our neighbors use solar power as their exclusive source of domestic electricity. They have systems including panel, batteries, charge controllers, inverters, etc. With a population density of less than one person per square mile the distribution of power lines is expensive and limited, typically along the major roads and the settlements of Study Butte and Terlingua.

    Utility companies also use large solar arrays, if you consider 10,000 or more panels large. The electric cooperative in Taos New Mexico has several shade structures over its parking lot (like big carports) and there are solar panels atop those structures. Also, in some areas they use "net metering" wherein during the day folk's solar systems feed electricity into the grid and the meters run backwards. Nightime service comes from the grid using non-solar sources of power. We personally know folks in Hawaii and New Mexico who are connected to the grid but have zero or negative (they get paid) electric bills due to solar systems and net metering.

    In the City of Presidio, Texas there is a huge battery bank used to back up the system in the event of power failures. See: http://www.ettexas.com/Projects/Presidio.

    The technology is there, and rapidly developing - not fast enough for Earth, but too fast for the gas, oil, and coal industries.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

  13. #43
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    gig harborr ,wa
    Posts
    893
    Visian ,Post #41, You got that right!

  14. #44
    Registered User pappy35's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Location
    Collierville, TN
    Posts
    465
    Quote Originally Posted by Visian View Post
    ...closest thing we have to a battery for the grid is a dammed up lake.

    Ian
    A large lake at higher elevation. Isn't that's more like a capacitor?

    I'm just kidding around BTY. I only recently learned how water is pumped uphill into holding lakes and then released back down hill to recover the energy (or some fraction of it) used to pump it up.
    '13 R1200RT 90th Anniversary Edition

  15. #45
    Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat Omega Man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Mansfield,MA
    Posts
    14,266
    Quote Originally Posted by PGlaves View Post
    Where we live many of our neighbors use solar power as their exclusive source of domestic electricity. They have systems including panel, batteries, charge controllers, inverters, etc. With a population density of less than one person per square mile the distribution of power lines is expensive and limited, typically along the major roads and the settlements of Study Butte and Terlingua.

    Utility companies also use large solar arrays, if you consider 10,000 or more panels large. The electric cooperative in Taos New Mexico has several shade structures over its parking lot (like big carports) and there are solar panels atop those structures. Also, in some areas they use "net metering" wherein during the day folk's solar systems feed electricity into the grid and the meters run backwards. Nightime service comes from the grid using non-solar sources of power. We personally know folks in Hawaii and New Mexico who are connected to the grid but have zero or negative (they get paid) electric bills due to solar systems and net metering.

    In the City of Presidio, Texas there is a huge battery bank used to back up the system in the event of power failures. See: http://www.ettexas.com/Projects/Presidio.

    The technology is there, and rapidly developing - not fast enough for Earth, but too fast for the gas, oil, and coal industries.
    That’s why I said “around here”. Around here it’s roof mounts mostly, expensive to remove for roof maintenance. Homeowners deeds are “contaminated” by liens and loans. Realized expectations are “iffy”.
    Bigger companies (Cape Wind) do better with the tax credits than actual monetary gains.
    In your area, no doubt a winner especially if someone put some thought into the system.
    I guess it’s like the “savings” in car leasing. Mathematically, a car payment is not $199/ month with $3,600 down on a 36 month lease.
    OM
    "You can do good or you can do well. Sooner or later they make you choose." MI5
    Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •