Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: E15 - Here it comes

E15 - Here it comes

https://www.politico.com/news/2019/1...iofuels-027499

"The administration had been expected to remove barriers to the sale of 15 percent ethanol by permitting gas stations to use the same tanks they use for 10 percent ethanol fuel — the standard gasoline used in most cars — for E15, ethanol and oil industry sources said earlier this week, though the EPA official did not address this topic on a call with reporters today and it was not mentioned in the agency's announcement. The move could be crucial in increasing ethanol sales and taking advantage of the administration's decision to allow year-round sales of E15 in a rule proposed this summer.

The biofuels industry praised the deal, insisting that Trump has now come through for farmers.

"It’s been a long process, but when the chips were down, President Trump delivered for farm families and biofuel producers," Growth Energy, an ethanol producer trade association, said in a statement.

EPA will issue a supplemental rule to add to the proposed rule that sets blending requirements for 2020 and 2021. The EPA official said to expect the proposal to be in the Federal Register next week. The agency is required to issue a final rule by Nov. 30."
    Cave contents: 16 R12RS, 13 Toyota Tacoma, 03 Simplicity Legacy, 97 Stihl FS75, Dewalt DW625 & SawStop PCS175
    1) My expectations are never low enough & 2) Incompetence is infinite ........David Brooks

Better get those phone apps ready, gotta start planning your trips around gasoline stops and pure gas...

Big John in Arkansas
    2014 K1600 GTL
    2007 R1200GS Adventure (Sold)
    MOA# 200130

Left Coast Rider
    As I have mentioned before, Chevron 94, Esso 91 and Shell 91 are ethanol free coast-to-coast in Canada. There are many others.

Ethanol won't matter to me once I go full electric!
    MOA #107139
    RA #28511

Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat Omega Man's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by azgman View Post
    Ethanol won't matter to me once I go full electric!
    I wonder where all this electricity is going to come from? With all this electricity, will the system shift to a “pay by miles driven”?
    Probably thoughts for another thread.
    OM
    "You can do good or you can do well. Sooner or later they make you choose." MI5
    Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

Not to worry, just carry a wooden board with an electric outlet, plug it in over night, ready to go in the morning.

Quote Originally Posted by 8ninety8 View Post
    Not to worry, just carry a wooden board with an electric outlet, plug it in over night, ready to go in the morning.

Scary part is I believe some people think it is that easy! The electricity just magically comes out of the wall, no clue how, why, or that they have to pay for it.

As for the E15, I don't understand it at all. I understand why we would want to get off of fossil fuels, but ethanol in it's current corn based form is not the answer.
    From the only real Fargo, ND!

Quote Originally Posted by Omega Man View Post
    I wonder where all this electricity is going to come from? With all this electricity, will the system shift to a “pay by miles driven”?
    Probably thoughts for another thread.
    OM
    The electricity will come from NG. Minimal fuel transportation cost, minimal fuel handling cost at the plant and less manpower for plant maintenance and operation.
    Cave contents: 16 R12RS, 13 Toyota Tacoma, 03 Simplicity Legacy, 97 Stihl FS75, Dewalt DW625 & SawStop PCS175
    1) My expectations are never low enough & 2) Incompetence is infinite ........David Brooks

Quote Originally Posted by 36654 View Post
    The electricity will come from NG. Minimal fuel transportation cost, minimal fuel handling cost at the plant and less manpower for plant maintenance and operation.
    The people living in the Merrimack Valley are currently groovin' on all that less manpower and maintenance program.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Merrim...gas_explosions

But what the hell There is a Hydrogen station in town and I have never seen a car there fillin' up......I don't think I have ever seen anything past the Hindenburg runnin' on H.

But it's all "trendy".

OM
    Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

Quote Originally Posted by PoorUB View Post
    Scary part is I believe some people think it is that easy! The electricity just magically comes out of the wall, no clue how, why, or that they have to pay for it.

As for the E15, I don't understand it at all. I understand why we would want to get off of fossil fuels, but ethanol in it's current corn based form is not the answer.
    Excluding the pollution benefit of ethanol as an oxygenate for gasoline, true value of ethanol is as a mandated subsidy for the Ag Industry.

cornuse.jpg

Getting rid of ethanol means more farms have to go out of business and Monsanto has to make less money. Remember, we export feed grain and those exports have been cut due to trade issues. We are the someone that has to pay.

Quote Originally Posted by Omega Man View Post
    The people living in the Merrimack Valley are currently groovin' on all that less manpower and maintenance program.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Merrim...gas_explosions

But what the hell There is a Hydrogen station in town and I have never seen a car there fillin' up......I don't think I have ever seen anything past the Hindenburg runnin' on H.

But it's all "trendy".

OM
    How old were those lines and don't you think something bad would happen if you put 75-psi gas in a 0.5psi line. That's only a factor of 150x.
    Last edited by 36654; 10-06-2019 at 09:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by PoorUB View Post
    This has NOTHING to do with reducing dependence on fossil fuels or improving the environment (the very suggestion of that is laughable given this administrations full frontal assault on environmental protection.

The reason is that certain "actions" under way at the moment have caused pain to farmers. Mandating increased ethanol in gasoline means more demand for corn which means more money for farmers (especially the big corporate farms) whose businesses are being hurt by these "actions." So, we all get to pay more (ethanol increase results in lower fuel economy and I bet you E15 WON'T be cheaper per gallon) so that the target of these "actions" will supposedly pay for them (not us or our farmers).

It stinks to high heaven of politicians (or a particular politician) playing games with our pocketbooks to prop up their narcissism.
    '13 R1200RT 90th Anniversary Edition

Quote Originally Posted by 36654 View Post
    How old were those lines???
    They were fine until “less (knowledgable) maintenance and reduced management/manpower started in on it.
    From the Wikipedia link-

According to the NTSB's preliminary report, customers in the accident area received gas from a low-pressure (0.5 psi) distribution network which, in turn, was fed from a high-pressure (75 psi) main pipeline via regulators controlled by sensors measuring pressure in the low-pressure pipes. At the time of the accident, workers were replacing some of the low-pressure piping, but the procedure set out by Columbia Gas for doing this failed to include transfer of a regulator's pressure sensor from the old, disused piping to the new. As a result, when the old pipe was depressurized, the regulator sensed zero pressure on the low-pressure side and opened completely, feeding the main pipeline's full pressure into the local distribution network.[8]

Took ‘em a year to confirm the obvious.

A week ago they thought they would go “exploring” again. That episode took another toll on people’s nerves-

https://www.wcvb.com/article/major-g...ence/29260322#

I still remember Seabrook and “electricity too cheap to meter”.

OM
    Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

Quote Originally Posted by BC1100S View Post
    As I have mentioned before, Chevron 94, Esso 91 and Shell 91 are ethanol free coast-to-coast in Canada. There are many others.
    Could be true, might not be.

The Harper Gov't mandated a minimum of 2% renewable resource in all motive fuels in Canada. They also said that any fuel above 5% of renewable resource had to be reported at the pump.

Define renewable resource as you like but I can tell you with certainty that PeCan, Shell and Esso fuel quality at Premium varies from station to station.

Bacteria in Diesel has now become a three fold disaster: Plugs fuel filters and destroys exhaust after treatment and is a health hazard. That is a direct result of using a renewable resource.

My girlfriend's DI car is now on a third set of injectors and a replacement head. She tells me she always uses premium fuel and the dealer is accusing her of using backyard gas.

Read my comments and interpret as you like.
    1997 R1100RT, 1981 KZ 440 LTD, R80RT, R90/6 sidecar, K1100RS,1983 K100RS (Cafe now)

“The major civilizing force in the world is not religion, it is sex.”

Quote Originally Posted by dieselyoda View Post
    My girlfriend's DI car is now on a third set of injectors and a replacement head. She tells me she always uses premium fuel and the dealer is accusing her of using backyard gas.
    I see Canada has some "quality" dealerships just like in the United States.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/