Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6

Thread: E15 - Here it comes

Quote Originally Posted by PGlaves View Post
    That old quarterly report, you know.
    I don't think you understand what I am talking about.

... and we are way OT.

Here is a link that explains the basics. We are a long way from relying on renewables to sustain a base load. This does not mean that it will never happen and/or we should not be investing in such a direction, it simply reflects the reality of the power generation/distribution/consumption enterprise today and for the foreseeable future.

And you better hope for a profitable power industry, their stocks are probably owned by your pension fund. I know that I have invested in them.

Quote Originally Posted by Visian View Post
    Actually, while not there yet, base load is the easy part for renewables to cover.

And using corn squeezings to reduce mpg of vehicles while using more energy to produce than provided by the burning is a horrible waste of precious energy. (Back on topic)
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

Quote Originally Posted by BC1100S View Post
    You're talking about "social licence". Unfortunately that's a fiction of some creative people's mind.

With some folks, you won't get the first syllable of the word fracking out of your mouth before their head explodes.

Note: I'm not making an argument for or against oil or natural gas. My comment applies equally to these as well as hydro, wind farm, solar, nuclear, etc.
    You'll always have those folks on both sides of the argument. However, if you institute the proper safeguards, the majority of rational folks will support a project.
    Cave contents: 16 R12RS, 13 Toyota Tacoma, 03 Simplicity Legacy, 97 Stihl FS75, Dewalt DW625 & SawStop PCS175
    1) My expectations are never low enough & 2) Incompetence is infinite ........David Brooks

And part of the equation has to be efforts to contain or reduce the base load. More and better insulation, higher efficiency appliances and equipment, etc. That includes increasingly higher fuel economy requirements, which apparently cause consternation in some segments of our society.

Best,
    DeVern
    DGerber
    1983 R80ST 1984 R80 G/S-PD 2004 K1200GT w/Hannigan S/C 2010 K1300GT 2018 R1200GS
    BMWMOA#52184, AMA#271542, IBA#138

Quote Originally Posted by Visian View Post

... and we are way OT.

Here is a link that explains the basics. We are a long way from relying on renewables to sustain a base load. This does not mean that it will never happen and/or we should not be investing in such a direction, it simply reflects the reality of the power generation/distribution/consumption enterprise today and for the foreseeable future.

And you better hope for a profitable power industry, their stocks are probably owned by your pension fund. I know that I have invested in them.
    Define profitable power industry? The power generator, the distribution company or the folks that build equipment. For the most part, the company we own stock in is the distribution company.

The Base load argument is real but often co-opted by Nuclear and Coal power generator seeking subsidies. The Coal stockpile concept is my favorite bending of logic to avoid direct competition with the NG power generators. Nuclear is purely an economics issue as demonstrated by Vogtle. Cost over runs, very reminiscent of the plant builds in the 1970's, have been so bad.......Toshiba could only escape corporate bankruptcy by selling/liquidating Westinghouse/Stone&Webster/Chicago Bridge & Iron to some consortium which appears to be the owners of Vogtle. In the case of existing Nukes, the issue is how many extensions on operating life can companies like Exelon get before the plants are deemed too old.

If you want to track the profit, follow the distribution companies. Just like the NG pipeline or Railroads (Coal) owners, they own the means of transport. The producers (Drillers, Coal mining or Power generators) are working in a world of rapidly declining profitability.

BTW-Thanks for posting a link from my Alma meter and former employer
    Cave contents: 16 R12RS, 13 Toyota Tacoma, 03 Simplicity Legacy, 97 Stihl FS75, Dewalt DW625 & SawStop PCS175
    1) My expectations are never low enough & 2) Incompetence is infinite ........David Brooks

I thought we were discussing E-15 gasoline here?

To discuss e15 or anything connected to power, fuel, electricity, the whole ball of wax, starting with global warming, environmentalism, all the crises thereof, has to be discussed. But it's political, ergo, it can't be discussed. E15 is so far past what motorcyclists think. We've been conditioned. When the UN gets lectured by children, you know there's a problem in river city.

We think the weather can be controlled by not putting good gas in motorcycles? Bikes should have been exempted when all this stuff got legislated. The big players still would have got their cash. Bureaucrats could still have had their coffee and doughnuts, politicians would still be at the trough. And the few bikes on we see on the road would be happy. So have it. Try to figger out something that left the barn forty years ago. Without discussing the politics.

Ethanol in fuel damages and/or destroys some parts in some BMW motorcycles. E15 will be worse than E10. That is not political. It is simply a physically observable fact. I don't like that fact. I don't like destroyed K75 fuel systems or dissolved carb diaphrams and fuel lines. That is not political. That is a fact. This is a technology issue. Not a political issue. The fact that politicians are responsible does not make this a political issue. Or, we have no business discussing toll roads, speed limits, highway construction, road maintenance, wildlife warning signs, and a whole plethora of other motorcycle related topics under the direct or indirect control of politicians.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

Gas

Yes Paul. We are talking about ethanol to my motorcycle ,boat if I had one ,chainsaw and lawn equipment and what this E-15 will do to them. I agree with you.

Google 'history of ethanol mandates and politics.'
    Last edited by 8ninety8; Today at 06:58 AM.