• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

E15 - Here it comes

Well, this sucks. My bike is so far out of warranty that I don't have to worry about it but I'd just as soon not have to replace it if the engine is destroyed by corn gas.

Yes there are workarounds, but they're not practical for me. There are no ethanol-free gas stations within 50 miles of my house, and they're only useful if I'm already going that direction anyway. Ride out onto the (possibly floating!) gas dock to pay 25% more for boat gas? Try to talk my way onto the apron at a general aviation airport?

"Politics is too serious to be left to politicians." Arendt.

That's why motorcyclists should have been involved. IMHO, every gas station in the US should have a pure gas pump labeled for motorcycles, lawn mowers, boats, snow blowers, antiques, etc. Said it before, say it again, the useage of these engines could in no way warm the globe. There's just not enough. But the pols never counted. Bikes just got lumped in. You know, extrapolated. Somebody said, "Golly, there's sure a lot of motorcycles registered!" Nobody asked, " How many did you see going down the road?" Bikes got lumped. How many sit in the garage or a shed most of the year? No one counted.

It's like, "Don't eat bacon and eggs washed down with coffee!" a couple decades past. Settled science. Oops.

So, where's the big push from the AMA???

If you do a Google search on "AMA E15" you'll get one hit after 2016 on the first page of listings. Why was it a big issue for the AMA up to 2016, but not so after?

I get regular update email from AMA. AMA is but one organization. Considering the dwindling numbers of actual riders, pols really don't need consider motorcyclists. Simple, numbers. Motorcyclists are easily dealt with since most are involved with their bikes, not with american culture/politics drifting. As we've seen here, politics is just so messy. A better question instead of politics; why does everyone get so pissed each time the topic comes up? How did we git there?

Here it was a nice sunny day after several cloudy. Went to the park for a bicycle ride. Saw two bikes, one a trike. On the way back a Harley lane splitting and one on the freeway. Not exactly coughing the way to global warming. No ethanol needed. Guess that makes me an expert. Actually counted. Anecdotal reigns. Could we count?

Well there are traffic cams everywhere. There's no place we can go and not be on camera 24/7. So, yup, bike traffic could actually be counted and their real contribution to global warming could be extrapolated. And the question of meeting the automobile standard could be examined. I met a pol a few times. Didn't seem too bright. I wondered why I would expect this guy to run anything for me? Asked a pol at the front door a couple questions about what wound his clock. He couldn't explain and went to the next house.

I fully expect the actual effects of burning ethanol on our environment, if politically viable, will be revealed somewhere down the road. Like the diet conundrum.

Awhile back heard talk of regulating lawnmowers? Yup, that's gonna control the weather.

Is E15 de facto worse for moto engines than all other ICEs? What is the reason for the uproar? I don't understand why moto owners would be any more affected than all other ICE owner operators.

For carbureted engines, the use of E15 can make the engine run lean. This can lead to over heating, particularly with air cooled engines. In extreme cases this can result in burned valves and holed pistons.

I wonder where all this electricity is going to come from? With all this electricity, will the system shift to a “pay by miles driven”? :deal
Probably thoughts for another thread.
OM

Before I die I am getting an electric bike, an electric car and a passive solar charging and storage system. :nod

Before I die I am getting an electric bike, an electric car and a passive solar charging and storage system. :nod

It’s sooooo amazing how many people “think” they have some sort of power storage when they have solar installed :eek
OM

OMG are these dopes kidding? We don't need higher octane, we need higher energy per gallon, (i.e. efficiency), and that ain't ethanol! What a typical bunch of self-serving politician crap!

I think that quite a lot of newer fuel injected vehicles of all sorts are only designed for E10. E15 is likely to cause quite a mess.

I think that quite a lot of newer fuel injected vehicles of all sorts are only designed for E10. E15 is likely to cause quite a mess.

Do holes burned in pistons and/or burned exhaust valves qualify as "quite a mess?" Just curious.

It’s sooooo amazing how many people “think” they have some sort of power storage when they have solar installed :eek
OM

Check out ZapGo the UK company developing carbon-based batteries. The article I read said their current models charge ONE HUNDRED times faster than Li ion, cannot catch fire, are recyclable, and I believe I read would give electric cars (presumably of some average type) 350m range with a full charge in UNDER FIVE MINUTES. This is exactly what is needed to move EV's to become uber practical. You simply install charging stations at existing fossil fuel filling stations for the long transition period and you're good to go. This is exactly what the EV sector needs to really take off.

I wonder if Harley and AMA will invite the South Dakota Gov, Senators and US Rep to the big party in Sturgis to celebrate they're delivery of E15?? They'll all psyched........

https://www.argusleader.com/story/n...r-round-e-15-heres-what-means-you/1327747001/

This is just too darn funny........

Easy for them to promote it to the farm sector; to folks who can have dyed non-ethanol gas delivered in bulk to the farm for use in all the older tractors and ag equipment.
:banghead

Best,
DeVern

OM

You’ll notice I said “charging *and* storage system.”

You’re right, though.... so many people who think we should just junk our existing electric power infrastructure and go all renewable have zero idea about the creation, distribution and consumption of electricity. Outside of actual batteries and things like the Tesla “wall” the closest thing we have to a battery for the grid is a dammed up lake.

Ian

Back