• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

'03 K1200GT Key stuck in lock cylinder

lljanssen

I just got a new lock cylinder for my system case on my '03 K1200GT. I followed BMW instructions to match the new lock to my existing key. Instructions end with "Performance test". The key works--lock opens and closes fine. Thought I was done, but found the key would not come out of the lock cylinder. I can't figure out how to remove the cylinder, either. Will I be able to remove it if I remove the assembly that has the locking mechanism and handle?
Does had to fix this problem? Could a locksmith do it?
Thanks, any advice will be appreciated.

Thank you both for the responses. Very helpful. I also got a response on K-bikes.com with a link to a video on cylinder removal: https://youtu.be/1Ul9BjNjKQk
Still don't know if I'll try rekeying myself again.

The likely cause of your inability to remove the key is the 7th wafer. That spot should be empty. From the bottom, you should have the big release wafer, then a blank, then six numbered wafers. If you put a wafer in that empty spot for bags, the key won't come out. IIRC that spot is only used for ignition locks.

Thanks

The likely cause of your inability to remove the key is the 7th wafer. That spot should be empty. From the bottom, you should have the big release wafer, then a blank, then six numbered wafers. If you put a wafer in that empty spot for bags, the key won't come out. IIRC that spot is only used for ignition locks.

You are right. I mixed up the instructions for the ignition and the bag lock. Once I figured that out and did it correctly, it worked fine. Thanks again.

Back