• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

03 1150GSA Fork Lock Problem

gvilledave

I have an 03 1150GSA. I can’t get the fork to lock when I park the bike. Manual says to turn key to lock and turn bars fully left. When I have key at lock the fork doesn’t lock and the key can’t be removed... any ideas on what I’m doing wrong? I’ve tried turn bars left then turning key and vice versa.

You may have to wiggle the bars a bit to get the lock to engage. It's a bit fiddly from what I remember... Perhaps the whole thing needs a cleaning after 16 years....

Welcome to the forum!
This comes up from time to time. Older bikes, especially where the fork lock was seldom used, need to be “limbered” up. I can suggest a few applications of WD-40 and working the mechanism a bit. There have also been a few cases where an accessory would not let the forks turn enough.
Chances are you will be able to free it up.
Gary

Thanks for the advice! I turned all the way left. Then as I kept pressure on the key towards lock, I slowly moved the bars to the right and it clicked into place. Problem solved. I did go ahead and spray a little lube on the lock just in case...

Be sure not to go all the way CCW with the key!
If you go to the end click the parking lights will come on.
Do that on a sunny day w/o noticing and you will mostly likely return to a weak or dead battery.

Back