• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Jacket no longer waterproof

Bobhudak

I was caught in a torrential rain last weekend. I have a Olympia all season touring jacket. The sleeves, from the elbow down, were absorbing water. Can anyone suggest a product to make the jacket water proof again? The jacket is several years old but I only use it for overnight trips on the bike. Usually 2-3 times a year. Thanks in advance.

Plenty of poor reviews, then I noticed it's not the same product used in the video.
The product in the link Durable Water Repellent.
The product in the video is Durable Water Proofing. https://www.amazon.com/Gear-Aid-ReviveX-Waterproofing-Outerwear/dp/B01KH37EUS

The video had good info comparing Wash In and Spray On options.

I saved the Durable Water Proofing in my Amazon List.

Years ago, I began to notice that my Aerostich was not that waterproof anymore. I bought something from Riders Wearhouse...I think it was a Nikwax product...it was a machine wash approach and I followed the directions scrupulously. The result virtually destroyed all the seams and inner layering for the seams. I checked with Riders Wearhouse...they said send it back. I did and they tried 3-4 times to do the same process and they could never get it to return to level of waterproof they liked. I ended up getting my suit back with the seam sealing fixed on the inside, but it wasn't good enough for the rain. I ended up getting a severe discount on a new outfit. So when I know it's going to be dry for local rides, I wear the old "comfortable" Stich...when I go on a longer trip, I break out the new(er) one.

My only point is that possibly some other approaches such as spray-on, etc., might be better then what I went through. Just my 0.02.

I wash my gear in warm plain ole water and revitalize the waterproofing as needed with spray on Revivex. Most of my gear is black (including a ten year old pair of Darien pamts) and comes thru this process looking good and as water resistant as new.

I use the Nikwax wash-in product with my Aerostich 1-piece a couple times a year. Make sure you read the directions (take out all pads, remove all traces of other washing soaps before use, etc.)

I also put my suit in the dryer for a little while to reactivate the DWR finish (that's recommend by Gore and Aerostich).

Back