• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

GoPro Remote Control Mount

mojoman

Got a new GoPro Hero 7 Black for my birthday. I bought a mount that puts the camera on the signal light unit. Looks great there and gets a clear view, however I have to reach down in order to turn it on or off. So I'm planning to buy a remote control but wondering how I can mount it so I can access it easily. Looked at the RAM web site but don't see anything there. Anybody dealt with this before? Any ideas?

Thanks for the link. Very informative. I have the app but I just ordered a GoPro Smart Remote so I don't have to depend on cellular accessibility issues. RAM emailed me with a link to a mount base for the remote so I'm good to go now.

the app does not depend on cellular accessiblilty......it talks direct to gopro.

Here you have it

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/122654541430
dd95aeccc91b4dc4a88d53a6e8d4ee94.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The only thing is already lost one to vibration
It has two parts
The back plate and the holding unit both attached by one screw that probably needs loctite.

the app does not depend on cellular accessiblilty......it talks direct to gopro.

However you would need to choose to have the phone connected to the TFT or the GoPro, can’t have both since you need cellular for the Nav, music or maybe phone call.. with the remote it’s a free for other tasks.

However you would need to choose to have the phone connected to the TFT or the GoPro, can’t have both since you need cellular for the Nav, music or maybe phone call.. with the remote it’s a free for other tasks.

that is assuming you have a TFT...which i suspect most here do not. my point it that gopro has nothing to do with cellular connections. there are three types of connections...cell network, wifi and bluetooth. you can be riding in a cellular black hole and the connection between phone and gopro will still work. gopro uses a wifi connection between phone and gopro. don't need cellular for nav either if you are using NUVI or other GPS unit.

Good point. For those with TFT or who uses the cellular connection for NAV or other (traffic, weather, Waze) then connecting the GoPro via internal Wifi network would terminate all other live functionality. I guess users will have to choose what’s important to them. For me, using the GoPro remote is a no brainer to free up the phone for other uses. [emoji109][emoji110][emoji109][emoji110]

Good point. For those with TFT or who uses the cellular connection for NAV or other (traffic, weather, Waze) then connecting the GoPro via internal Wifi network would terminate all other live functionality. I guess users will have to choose what’s important to them. For me, using the GoPro remote is a no brainer to free up the phone for other uses. [emoji109][emoji110][emoji109][emoji110]

yep! gopro remote is great option. i was just clearing up an apparent misconception that the gopro app needs cellular connection to work.

and on your point above...connecting gopro via app wifi does NOT terminate all other live functionality. gotta be clear on definition of "live functionality". :)

as i sit here i am running gopro app on phone controlling the camera, listening to music from my phone on the Sena and have WAZE navigation running on phone and in helmet. it all works. only thing gopro disconnects is home wifi connection. cell and bluetooth connections work. i would hook up my NUVI too, but it is not here on the kitchen counter.

Last edited:
yep! gopro remote is great option. i was just clearing up an apparent misconception that the gopro app needs cellular connection to work.

and on your point above...connecting gopro via app wifi does NOT terminate all other live functionality. gotta be clear on definition of "live functionality". :)

as i sit here i am running gopro app on phone controlling the camera, listening to music from my phone on the Sena and have WAZE navigation running on phone and in helmet. it all works. only thing gopro disconnects is home wifi connection. cell and bluetooth connections work. i would hook up my NUVI too, but it is not here on the kitchen counter.

Just tried to be sure and yup, I can’t stream when connected to the GoPro camera. I can have the music already downloaded play but nothing OTA. Google maps is working however I think it’s only because I have my area downloaded offline. I can not use any streaming apps while connecting to the GoPro WiFi. Interesting.

Just tried to be sure and yup, I can’t stream when connected to the GoPro camera. I can have the music already downloaded play but nothing OTA. Google maps is working however I think it’s only because I have my area downloaded offline. I can not use any streaming apps while connecting to the GoPro WiFi. Interesting.

sounds like you have a setup problem with your phone. even the gopro site specifically says gopro dominates the wifi, but all other apps will use cell link.

Get a Smart Go Pro Remote (about $65-75) and you can control multiple cameras and change settings remotely so you can put camera(s) in remote locations and turn on and off from riding position. Get a Go Pro remote accessory mount kit ($15-20) and you can use a stick-on camera mount or just about any Go Pro camera mount to hold the Go Pro Remote where you want it to be able to reach it and see the status on the LCD.

No need to tie up phone and remote is easier to manipulate with gloves, only 3 buttons to use all functions you need or want to use while moving.

77f5c29e856e649c0caf7dd03d5ef6da.jpg
53c19b6e909679e46b6d49a2c00676f4.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Get a Smart Go Pro Remote (about $65-75) and you can control multiple cameras and change settings remotely so you can put camera(s) in remote locations and turn on and off from riding position.

And, motorcycle riders complain about distracted car drivers.

The phone remote idea is much more distracting and more to fiddle with than this simple remote. The GoPro remote is just the push of a single button to start recording, you don't even need to look at it. Much safer that reaching for a mounted camera or looking at a phone screen for the RECORD button, which may require you to unlock phone and open app. You would set up the remote for how you want to use it before you started riding. No more distracting than switching any button on handlebars if you mount it in easy reach.

And, motorcycle riders complain about distracted car drivers.

Back