Thread: Air Gauge

Air Gauge

I have had a Cycle Pump air gauge several for years. I just purchased another Cycle Pump air gauge. I notice the new one reads 4 more psi than the old one. For example, the old gauge reads tire pressure at 40 psi while the new gauge reads the same tire pressure at 44 psi. Is this typical? The gauge is pricey and I was hoping for good quality. While disappointing, I can live with it. I suppose I need to calibrate my gauges against a gauge I know is accurate. I am thinking about taking my bike to a shop and inflating it with their equipment and then checking my gauges, but that assumes the shop has accurate equipment and I suppose their stuff could be off too.

This reminds me of trying to set your watch to an accurate time source before modern technology made getting the correct time easy. Any suggestions?

Name:  IMG_20191003_161807.1.jpg
Views: 263
Size:  524.2 KB
    1972 R75/5
    1993 R100R

Quote Originally Posted by bluehole View Post
    I have had a Cycle Pump air gauge several for years. I just purchased another Cycle Pump air gauge. I notice the new one reads 4 more psi than the old one. For example, the old gauge reads tire pressure at 40 psi while the new gauge reads the same tire pressure at 44 psi. Is this typical? The gauge is pricey and I was hoping for good quality. While disappointing, I can live with it. I suppose I need to calibrate my gauges against a gauge I know is accurate. I am thinking about taking my bike to a shop and inflating it with their equipment and then checking my gauges, but that assumes the shop has accurate equipment and I suppose their stuff could be off too.

This reminds me of trying to set your watch to an accurate time source before modern technology made getting the correct time easy. Any suggestions?

Name:  IMG_20191003_161807.1.jpg
Views: 263
Size:  524.2 KB
    Contact David Peterson at Best Rest Products (https://bestrestproducts.com) and pose your issue to him. He guarantees his products so should be able to solve your issue one way or another.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

Quote Originally Posted by PGlaves View Post
    Contact David Peterson at Best Rest Products (https://bestrestproducts.com) and pose your issue to him. He guarantees his products so should be able to solve your issue one way or another.
    I had mine checked with a m/c tire guys tire changer that had just been calibrated. Mine was off 1/2# at 42#'s on the rear tire from his tire machine. I considered that close enough. Best rest will make it right if it's off, but I have a hard time thinking they sent a unit out that far off.
    Last edited by brownie0486; 10-04-2019 at 01:12 PM.
    The lion does not even bother to turn his head when he hears the small dog barking.

https://www.youtube.com/user/azqkr

I had Dave repair/recalibrate my gauge. Great customer service.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Fastman
    '86 R65, '96 R1100RS, '04 K1200RS, '13 K1300S 30th Anniversary, '16 R1200GSA - SOLD
    '19 R1250GSA
    The most notable thing you can leave for posterity is your name...signed Anonymous

Thanks guys. I will do that.
    1972 R75/5
    1993 R100R

Mine is 8 years old. Dave charged me $10 to recalibrate it. That is is essentially his cost to mail it back to me.
    Kevin Huddy
    The Outpost, Silver City, Montana

Never have 2 air gauges. Always 1 or 3.
    Tom Barrie
    http://bluegrasspicker.blogspot.com/
    2012 K1600GTL
    2002 R1150RT (sold)

Quote Originally Posted by bluegrasspicker View Post
    Never have 2 air gauges. Always 1 or 3.
    Assuming that you're extending the analogy of having two wives, are you certain that 3 wives is better than 1? While it's likely that 2 of the 3 will always be teamed against the 3rd, on a rotating basis, does that make the team of 2 any more correct than the odd ball? And, if the oddball is wrong, your current friendly wife has just led you astray to the enjoyment of the opposing team. Just think, it might be a long time until those alliances reform around some other issue. Until then, you're the dimwit that listened to muffin brains.

No. I would say, just have one. It might not be correct, but you'll have peace of mind.
    Cave contents: 16 R12RS, 13 Toyota Tacoma, 03 Simplicity Legacy, 97 Stihl FS75, Dewalt DW625 & SawStop PCS175
    1) My expectations are never low enough & 2) Incompetence is infinite ........David Brooks