Thread: Airhead trouble

Airhead trouble

Hi I am new to the Airhead scene. I have a 1985 R80RT that just wont run correctly. I went to a tech day several years ago to get this bike that was sitting back on the road again. Carbs rebuilt, new plugs, wires, coil, new fuel lines filters, petcocks, valves adjusted.
    Symptoms, Bike will start right up idle fine, when riding sputters up to 3500rpm, at higher rpm it appears to be better but not perfect. The warmer it gets the more it sputters. Thanks For your help.

Quote Originally Posted by jrv_hd View Post
    Hi I am new to the Airhead scene. I have a 1985 R80RT that just wont run correctly. I went to a tech day several years ago to get this bike that was sitting back on the road again. Carbs rebuilt, new plugs, wires, coil, new fuel lines filters, petcocks, valves adjusted.
    Symptoms, Bike will start right up idle fine, when riding sputters up to 3500rpm, at higher rpm it appears to be better but not perfect. The warmer it gets the more it sputters. Thanks For your help.
    Back to basics. Check everything in the carbs. Correct jets. Jets clean. Passages clean. Float levels correct. Floats not sinking. Enricher (choke) parts installed correctly and not backwards. Diaphragms sound and not mushy or punctured.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

Welcome to the forum! As Paul says, probably best to start with all of the usual suspects - I would add ignition timing and valve clearances to the list. Maybe the ICU module needs some new heatsink paste smeared on the bottom...could be it's getting hot and malfunctioning.

Where are you located? Which TechDay did you attend? Maybe there's someone local that can commiserate with you as you step through these things...or maybe there's another TechDay coming up you could go back to.
    Kurt -- Forum Liaison ---> Resources and Links Thread <---
    '78 R100/7 & '69 R69S & '52 R25/2
    mine-ineye-deatheah-pielayah-jooa-kalayus. oolah-minane-hay-meeriah-kal-oyus-algay-a-thaykin', buddy!

Welcome, the Airheads organization is a good one to join and plenty of helpful folks. Airheads.org.
    http://beerthief.ca
    ITSteve: ride in peace my friend
    save $5 on a new SmugMug account, use this coupon7frrnSRiTt9Fk

'99 '03 '06 National Co-Rally Chair Friedle's Avatar
    Was that initial tech day organized by the Airheads? When you initially went to a tech day several years ago did you join the Airheads Beemer Club (www.airheads.org) in recognition and appreciation of all the help you received in returning your bike back to good running order? Where are you located? We are in all 50 states and many other countries.

If not, now might be the time. The Airheads have been helping keep these fine machines on the road since 1991 and have a lot of fun doing it. New members are always welcome.

Friedle
    Ride fast safely

How did it run before you did all that you list? If it did not have this problem, then it's one of the things you changed. I always suspect my own work, particularly the last thing I did before the problem. I'd go for low hanging fruit first -- check that the fuel is flowing to both carbs, then float bowl condition and levels. Then on to the rest listed by PG. I would also suspect the coils and wires -- they make millions of these things which means there are a few bad ones out there even when new.
    '61 Clubman's Gold Star, '13 690 Duke, '13 Daytona 675R, '17 1290 GT, '18 Street Triple RS (gone but not forgotten: '76 R75/6, '84 R100, '76 R90S)