• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Soon to be new R1250RT owner

paul463

Hello everyone,

I'm excited to be a part of the BMW family (or will be this weekend). I'm taking delivery of my first ever BMW. A 2019 R1250RT!

I've been riding for 14 years and I've owned too many bikes to list. From Kawasaki Connie 14's to three FJRs to Victory's, Harleys and a GL1800. To say I get bored easily is an understatement!!!

I'm hoping this new replacement (trading a 2018 HD Ultra Limited and a 2017 Yamaha FZ 09) will check off most; if not all of my boxes to the point that I actually keep this one for awhile.

Anyway; I'm looking forward to learning as much as I can about my specific bike and BMW motorcycles in general.

Thanks in advance,

Paul Healey
Cincinnati, OH

Welcome, Paul.

My first and only beemer is an '03 R1150RT I bought last November. I am continually amazed at how comfortable, how easy to ride and how much fun it is. A guy on one of the other forums I frequent said it best: "RTs are magic."

Hey Paul-

Welcome. I am new to BMWs too. Bought my first one this June a '15 R1200RT. So far it is AWESOME! Like you I am coming from a Harley touring bike to the BMW RT. The comparisons I keep making are Summa wrestler to ballerina.

I would say to enjoy your new RT but I know you will. :rocker

Welcome, Paul. Hope you enjoy the R1250RT as much as I do.

It is different for each rider but there are some generalities that tend to hold true. First, you've definitely noticed the significant difference in weight between the two. The Harley is extremely good at masking its weight especially in slow-speed running, where the RT can make it's higher centre of gravity more apparent, but they are both very good at this, just somewhat different.

Some of the features will definitely feel foreign for a while, but that's to be expected. H-D has done a good job on much of their integrated Infotainment system, including the external SD slot for their GPS, etc., which, unfortunately, is much harder to reach on the BMW GPS (not standard on the BMW like it is on the Ultra).

I've got over 10,000 km on my R1250RT now, mostly in June and 1,600 km on a 2019 H-D Street Glide Special. Both are nice bikes, but, for me, the R1250RT is the one bike I would have if I could only have one pavement bike. Load it up and it is my kind of Sports Tourer. Take the top-box and panniers off (2-minute task) and it is a sporty street bike with a ton of weather protection. Around the block or across the continent, it does what I'm looking for. Everyone is different, but the RT works just right for me, trust it does for you as well.

Enjoy!

Thanks

Hey Paul-

Welcome. I am new to BMWs too. Bought my first one this June a '15 R1200RT. So far it is AWESOME! Like you I am coming from a Harley touring bike to the BMW RT. The comparisons I keep making are Summa wrestler to ballerina.

I would say to enjoy your new RT but I know you will. :rocker

You’re analogy is spot on! Thanks

Thank you

Welcome, Paul. Hope you enjoy the R1250RT as much as I do.

It is different for each rider but there are some generalities that tend to hold true. First, you've definitely noticed the significant difference in weight between the two. The Harley is extremely good at masking its weight especially in slow-speed running, where the RT can make it's higher centre of gravity more apparent, but they are both very good at this, just somewhat different.

Some of the features will definitely feel foreign for a while, but that's to be expected. H-D has done a good job on much of their integrated Infotainment system, including the external SD slot for their GPS, etc., which, unfortunately, is much harder to reach on the BMW GPS (not standard on the BMW like it is on the Ultra).

I've got over 10,000 km on my R1250RT now, mostly in June and 1,600 km on a 2019 H-D Street Glide Special. Both are nice bikes, but, for me, the R1250RT is the one bike I would have if I could only have one pavement bike. Load it up and it is my kind of Sports Tourer. Take the top-box and panniers off (2-minute task) and it is a sporty street bike with a ton of weather protection. Around the block or across the continent, it does what I'm looking for. Everyone is different, but the RT works just right for me, trust it does for you as well.

Enjoy!

Thanks for the reply. After my first 100 miles I already felt as though I made a very good decision.

I really am amazed by the suspension and overall comfort of this bike. No need for tuners or performance mods and the stock seat is fantastic.

Very happy to be part of the BMW MOA community!,

Thanks for the reply. After my first 100 miles I already felt as though I made a very good decision.

I really am amazed by the suspension and overall comfort of this bike. No need for tuners or performance mods and the stock seat is fantastic.

Very happy to be part of the BMW MOA community!,
Paul, there is a reason why the RT is virtually always ranked as the Best Sport-Touring Bike by the major publications when the emphasis is placed on touring in a sporting manner vs a sportbike that can do touring duty. And then there is that lovely 1,254cc engine. If you like a Boxer engine, which I do, this is the best iteration of it so far with regard to power/torque/acceleration/smoothness/etc. Not the simplest, but maintenance is easy, especially if you do it yourself.

The stock seat is very much a situation where it is good to great for some and terrible for others. For me, I can do 4-5 hours without any issue, for rides longer than that (especially multi-day rides) a Sargent seat is noticeably better for me. For others, they need an RDL, BM or Corbin. Everyone's backside is different.

Back