• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

tires for 18 inch rims

jimwjarmour

jimmy armour
Hi decided to make a new tread , was trying to order new tires for my sons 2000 r1100rt 17 front 18 rear,but find 18 inch rear not available !! if so what are others doing ? which tires did they go to? , I am wondering if the r1150 rear rim would fit which is 17 I believe once again thanks in advance for your input ,Jimmy

As far as I know you can still get Michelin PR 3s for the rear in 18”. On my trip to Alaska last year I put 11,000 miles on the rear tire and could have gone at least another two thousand on it but had to replace the front one before I got home at around 9000 because it was cupping.

Thinking of purchasing a R1100RS with 17/18 wheels. After doing research I found that Perelli makes the Angel GT that will fit the bill. I was considering those for my R1150R but purchased the Michelin PR 4 GT instead.

As far as I know you can still get Michelin PR 3s for the rear in 18”. On my trip to Alaska last year I put 11,000 miles on the rear tire and could have gone at least another two thousand on it but had to replace the front one before I got home at around 9000 because it was cupping.

Just put a new set of these on my 1100RT a couple weeks ago. Will be a sad day if they stop making those for my bike.

Just put a new set of these on my 1100RT a couple weeks ago. Will be a sad day if they stop making those for my bike.

I can understand your affection for the PR3 but when they do stop making them (and they will), you'll still have choices which are now more advanced than that tire.

I have always been partial to the Angel GTs.

I don't get the 10K mileage others talk about, but I am heavy (240lbs) and live in a hot, flat, unpopulated area (MS Delta), which means I drive faster than most to get to the any enjoyable riding. Which I am sure contributes to higher tire temps and faster wear.

Tires

I have a 1994 R1100RS, the current set of tires are Continental Road Attack 2 which I like a lot, and may be leaning to the I really like a lot. I had a 80 mile each way ride in light to heavy rain on city streets and interstate so speeds from 20 to 70 mph I was very happy with rain performance. I don’t know how many miles I will get out of them yet. The bike had 27,000 miles on it and a set of Metzeler tires on it when I got it replaced with a set of Michelin Pilot road something’s, 3 sets of Bridgestone Battleaxe’s, another set of Metzeler’s , and now the Road Attack 2 tires. Mileage has varied from 8,500 to 12,000 something I got the most out of the Michelin’s the least out of the Metzeler’s. I could have ridden The Metzeler’s another 1,000 or more miles I should have ridden the Michelin’s a1,000 or more less. The Bridgestone’s all averaged 10,000 something miles. The difference between the tires not much they all were good. I usually wait and buy a set of tires for a good discount after the new models come out which is getting harder to do as fewer companies are making the 18 in. Rear tire ( I had lots of fun at the MOA rally going to tire manufacturers that I know don’t make the 18 in. rear tire and ask for information on the 18 in. tire than when they told me they no longer made that size, the fun started )
I have enough storage space so with one riding season on the Conti’s I will start looking for discounted replacements.

179212 (cool name, sometimes I feel like a number...), this is great info. My question is, do you buy matched sets front and rear? That seems to be the biggest issue with finding tires for the 1100s. I haven’t located a tire discount house yet that has both front and rear tires in stock in the same brand and style for my 1100RT. Maybe Shinkos, but not much else.

........ I haven’t located a tire discount house yet that has both front and rear tires in stock in the same brand and style for my 1100RT. Maybe Shinkos, but not much else.

American Moto Tire - Michelin Road 5 front (also 5GT. PR4, PR3, Pr2 and more), Michelin PR3 rear.

Just putting this out there, be sure and price tires with "thevisorshop" I have bought my last 3 sets of tires from them and saved 50 to 60 per purchase even with shipping charges. arrive in 3 days to me in Nashville for Belfast uk. they have most of the major brands and sizes. just an FYI....

I buy my matched sets from Bike Bandit, free shipping and the the date codes show the tires are usually only a few months old. They must turn over their inventory pretty quickly.

Belfast UK,

Just putting this out there, be sure and price tires with "thevisorshop" I have bought my last 3 sets of tires from them and saved 50 to 60 per purchase even with shipping charges. arrive in 3 days to me in Nashville for Belfast uk. they have most of the major brands and sizes. just an FYI....

Hi, ! noticed the Belfast UK reference,? do you live there, I was born in Belfast N ,Ireland UK a long time ago ,was interested in your connection, Jimmy:scratch

Back