• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

2003 R1150GS Sport HELP No start No Crank

wanjman

My beloved Yellow Jacket has finally failed me. Bought it with 7500 miles last May and now it has 16,000. Super clean and well cared for. Went to start it and noticed a buzzing coming from the fuse/relay box under the seat, the tach was jumping around and at first I got a click when the start button was pushed but now no click either. I have checked the battery voltage, 13.84 , I have checked the connections to the starter, clean and tight. The buzzing noise is coming from the row of black relays next to the starter relay (yellow) Im thinking maybe the starter gave up the ghost. Cant find a good description of the relays in clymer or the owners manual. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

I have also developed an oil leak that blows oil back onto my left boot, looks like possibly the VC gasket.

That “standing” voltage sounds high actually :scratch I’m not sure what you are using for a meter. What is the chance you can measure the voltage while you hit the starter button?
OM

I vote bad battery. High no-load voltage but no ability to provide amps. I had one that showed 12.7v which dropped to .4 volts with a single tail light bulb connected.

Edited to correct .4 amps to .4 volts.

Last edited:
I agree with Paul, pull battery and take to auto parts house or batteries + for load test. Once battery is confirmed good then on to relay and starter.

I agree with Paul, pull battery and take to auto parts house or batteries + for load test. Once battery is confirmed good then on to relay and starter.

I would connect a reliable volt meter to the battery terminals. Record voltage. Turn the key on. Record voltage. Press starter button. Record voltage. Report back with these results.

If the bike starts and runs with a boost, 50/50, it's the battery. A loose/corroded ground will mimic the same.

Back