• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

BMW R75/5 Rewiring- Motogadget

tlangman4

Hi All-

I am in the middle or a total rebuild of a ‘72 R75/5 LWB, and am hoping some of you can provide some insight regarding the wiring loom.

The bike is being built to look 100% stock, but will incorporate some sensible upgrades to the electrical system in particular. As I prepare to begin the wiring project, I am contemplating a customized wiring harness to eliminate the maze in the headlight shell. I am very interested in approaching it using a fuse block similar to one made by Motogadget. The concept would be to house the fuse block, etc., in the area of the tool tray and and wire components from there.

I am hoping others on this forum have done something similar and would be willing to share their expertise and the process followed.

Thanks in advance for the ideas and suggestions...!

Tom

There's a couple of threads in the Similar Threads pane at the bottom of the screen about the Motogadget products...in one, the person filmed it on youtube. Not necessarily your year bike, but there might be some thoughts/ideas to consider.

Also try using the google site search; go to google and type in the following:

site:forums.bmwmoa.org motogadget

Quite a few more discussions.

Wiring

Hopefully, your harness was as original to begin with and not hacked up from a previous owner. As it is installed at the factory it is pretty simple. Especially compared to a /6 or /7 harness. Take a picture before removing it.
There are two harnessed for the /5, with and without fuses. Just about everyone recommends the fuses.
With or without fuses the harness is pretty simple and when the wires are routed correctly, are easy to get to and don't look like a big mess! This is really the easy, simple way to go on a /5 to keep from plunging down the rabbit hole. A good recommendation is to paint the inside of the headlight white to make it easier to see everything.
If by chance the harness has already been butchered then I recommend that you go to the /5 united group (yahoo) and ask for a picture of what it should look like, as I remember seeing one posted there.
If you replace the handlebar switches be sure to save the grommets where the harnesses go through the headlight as they are no longer available.

I wonder if a wiring diagram or loom from a mono shock airhead would be useful. They have the fuses back near the tool box and few wires in the headlight.

Wiring

I wonder if a wiring diagram or loom from a mono shock airhead would be useful. They have the fuses back near the tool box and few wires in the headlight.

Not a chance! Think about all the instrument wires and junction for the handlebar wiring.

Back