• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

R1250R questions

ccolwell

I suspect most of my questions relate to the R1200R wasserboxer too as I don't know whether there are significant chassis changes to the new model. I recently rented an R1250R on tour. Sadly, due to illness I only got to ride it a couple of days. Still, amazing engine and great handling. I think it probably suits me better than my SD GT. The main problem I have is the seat to peg distance. I'm only a 28" inseam and my legs feel cramped. So, does the accessory higher seat make much of a difference? I was told it's only a little over an inch difference. Doesn't sound like much but it could be.

Windscreens: It would need something for everyday riding and something more for sport touring any real distances. I occasionally end a long trip with a 400 mile slab home. I added a taller screen to the SD and still had to put one of those clip on windscreen visors. In general, what's available here and does it work?

Yeah, I know, get an RS. Just doesn't suit me. Or a lowered GS. I need 17" wheels on a street bike and adapting those turns into real money. Plus (apologies to all) I am not a GS fan. And I have ridden them at least 2000 miles on tours. And both are heavier than the R.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts.

I suspect most of my questions relate to the R1200R wasserboxer too as I don't know whether there are significant chassis changes to the new model. I recently rented an R1250R on tour. Sadly, due to illness I only got to ride it a couple of days. Still, amazing engine and great handling. I think it probably suits me better than my SD GT. The main problem I have is the seat to peg distance. I'm only a 28" inseam and my legs feel cramped. So, does the accessory higher seat make much of a difference? I was told it's only a little over an inch difference. Doesn't sound like much but it could be.

Windscreens: It would need something for everyday riding and something more for sport touring any real distances. I occasionally end a long trip with a 400 mile slab home. I added a taller screen to the SD and still had to put one of those clip on windscreen visors. In general, what's available here and does it work?

Yeah, I know, get an RS. Just doesn't suit me. Or a lowered GS. I need 17" wheels on a street bike and adapting those turns into real money. Plus (apologies to all) I am not a GS fan. And I have ridden them at least 2000 miles on tours. And both are heavier than the R.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts.

The optional high/tall seat is the RS standard seat, which adds about an inch. A higher option is the sport seat.

https://www.bobsbmw.com/store/product/bmw-seat-options-for-r1200rs--r1200r

Beyond that, there's always peg lowering kits.

There's available aftermarket screens

The biggest difference between these two bikes isn't the 10 or 11-lbs, it's the wider bars and a very slight difference in trail (but, supposedly, common rake angle)

The optional high/tall seat is the RS standard seat, which adds about an inch. A higher option is the sport seat.

https://www.bobsbmw.com/store/product/bmw-seat-options-for-r1200rs--r1200r

Beyond that, there's always peg lowering kits.

There's available aftermarket screens

The biggest difference between these two bikes isn't the 10 or 11-lbs, it's the wider bars and a very slight difference in trail (but, supposedly, common rake angle)

That may have been so for the R1200 but not for the R1250. We pulled seats from both the R and RS and they were the same and had the same part number.

That may have been so for the R1200 but not for the R1250. We pulled seats from both the R and RS and they were the same and had the same part number.

The number on the bottom of the seat is not a part number.
The R and RS use the same pan but there are several seats available for both the R and RS.

In any case, I could not discern any difference between the seats, visually or after installing the RS seat on the R. Knees were touching the tank in the same place, feet on the floor on the same manner. After that we looked at the numbers.

In any case, I could not discern any difference between the seats, visually or after installing the RS seat on the R. Knees were touching the tank in the same place, feet on the floor on the same manner. After that we looked at the numbers.

Since the same seats fit the R1200R and RS models, it not uncommon for the salesmen to swap seats between bikes. As it sat on the showroom floor, my bike had the lower R-model (790mm) seat. Apparently, the prior potential customer was shorter than me. Happily, my salesman was an RS rider, of similar height, and went looking for the correct stock seat (820mm).

But, to your observation, the current BMW website seat height listings for the R1250R and RS in the US and Canada show 820mm as the standard. That's a change from before.

Four OEM seats fitments for the R/RS (straight from dealer accessory bulletin):
Low.
Standard - standard is standard, on both models.
High.
Sport - which is higher that high, with a noticeable convex shape intended to make movement from side to side on the saddle easier.

LOW: 52 53 8 534 317
STD: 52 53 8 534 316
HIGH: 52 53 8 534 318
SPORT: 77 34 8 555 886

The part # molded into the bottom of the pan, is the part # for the pan, and common to all. There may be a sticker with a printed part # that relates to the seat build on the pan.

Four OEM seats fitments for the R/RS (straight from dealer accessory bulletin):
Low.
Standard - standard is standard, on both models.
High.
Sport - which is higher that high, with a noticeable convex shape intended to make movement from side to side on the saddle easier.

LOW: 52 53 8 534 317
STD: 52 53 8 534 316
HIGH: 52 53 8 534 318
SPORT: 77 34 8 555 886

The part # molded into the bottom of the pan, is the part # for the pan, and common to all. There may be a sticker with a printed part # that relates to the seat build on the pan.

If you check the seat heights listed on the BMW website for the current 1250R and 1250RS, the seat height is 32.3". That corresponds to 820mm, (32.3/39.37)*1000, which is the high seat on your chart. The STD seat on your chart is the lower 790mm model, which was the R1200R "standard" seat.

https://www.shopbmwmotorcycle.com/p...Wv3RkS6PAS_B43eV2j4e1do6EIE1cwvEaAi5JEALw_wcB

Back