• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

tire pressures, and exhaust fumes

jimwjarmour

jimmy armour
Hi ,just back from a weekend in the Haliburton highlands Ontario riding behind my son on the 2000 r1100rt,I couldnt help but notice the smell of his exaust mostly at lower speeds or while running down hill, it idles perfectly and hessitates slightly at lower speeds, as far as I have been told is quite normal,what should I check? also put new metzeler tires on it and what should the tire pressures be ,thanking you in advance Jimmy :scratch

1. Running slightly rich?

2. I'd start with manufacturer's (BMW) tire pressure recommendation and modify to taste.

running slightly rich

Thanks for resonding, there is no blue or black smoke just slight smelly exaust fumes? this is the first I have ridden behind the bike ,can the mixture be adjusted ? as there is only one adjustment on the right inj body ,once again thanks in advance Jimmy:scratch

Thanks for resonding, there is no blue or black smoke just slight smelly exaust fumes? this is the first I have ridden behind the bike ,can the mixture be adjusted ? as there is only one adjustment on the right inj body ,once again thanks in advance Jimmy:scratch

Mixture is computer controlled. The adjuster you see (big brass screw) is just an air bypass adjustment to set idle speed.

The square black box on the left throttle body is the throttle position sensor that informs the computer how wide open the throttle is. It might not be correctly adjusted but the O2 sensor in the exhaust ought to cause the ECU to correct the mixture within some limits.

I would not fiddle with anything until a complete regular tune up including valve adjustment, throttle body synchronization and new spark plugs was accomplished.

Last edited:
2. I'd start with manufacturer's (BMW) tire pressure recommendation and modify to taste.

I fiddled with pressures on my '00 RT for quite a while (generally running PR3's) and have settled on 36F/42R, loaded or not, but always one-up.

thanks again,

well thanks again, standard exaust new plugs valve adjustment full service inc air filter about 6000 km,s ago I was wondering about the o2 unit in the exaust ? can it be cleaned or just replaced, is there a test ?, bike rides great just now that my son is riding it and I am back on my old airhead that I am now noticeing the smell ,re tire pressures again new metzlers fitted at 35 front 38 rear just like my airhead, but now the front has worn into a wave pattern mostly on the left side !I am thinking too low pressure thanks for the help, Jimmy:ca

Last edited:
I am back on my old airhead that I am now noticeing the smell

I used to get a fair amount of exhaust smell from my airhead at idle. IIRC the header-to-cylinder connection allows a fair amount of gap, and anything wafting up would get captured by the fairing for my enjoyment.

Back