• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

What Oil?

millerj0545

I'm sure it's been asked before, but what oil should I be using in my new 2019 K1600GT that won't bankrupt me like the BMW oil?

Penzoil 5W40 EU?

With a wet clutch, automotive oil is out of the question due to friction modifiers that will wreck the wet clutch. MA2 rating is a must.
I find Liqui Moly from Beemerboneyard to be a great alternative to BMW oil and in spite of the name, there is no molybdenum in the oil... YMMV

Wallyworld to the rescue

I'm sure it's been asked before, but what oil should I be using in my new 2019 K1600GT that won't bankrupt me like the BMW oil?

Penzoil 5W40 EU?

I use Shell Rotella T6 5W40, $22 for 4 quarts full synthetic and has the JASO rating. Put 52K on a 16 r1200rt using this oil and checked the valves myself recently. Top end looked great and no oil film or sludge visible at all, engine burns no oil between changes. I am happy to use this in my 18 K1600 bagger.

Rotella T6 and BMW reccomendations for engine oil

Before you all use Rotella T6 in your K1600's engines, please call Shell technical support and ask them if their Rotella T6 contains Moly?

Last time I checked (2 years ago) I was told that there was some Moly in the additives they use in their T6.

Since BMW mentions not to use any engine oil that contains Moly, I'll stick with their recommendations.

Robert

Rotella oils are very popular in the FJR community. There are no additives that harm the wet clutch and it is used in bikes that are known for their long life and reliability.

Before you all use Rotella T6 in your K1600's engines, please call Shell technical support and ask them if their Rotella T6 contains Moly?

Last time I checked (2 years ago) I was told that there was some Moly in the additives they use in their T6.

Since BMW mentions not to use any engine oil that contains Moly, I'll stick with their recommendations.

Robert

Good point. But for clarity what BMW says is not to use any additives containing moly.

Last edited:
Oil causes bankruptcy

If you think oil is expensive, wait until you see how fast and many tires you go thru and the cost of a dealer performed 18K service:banghead

Oil choices

To begin, I am not a wealthy BMW owner. I collect a salary of just shy of $75K and no rich uncle, nor connections with a BMW dealer or shop to give me a super discount. However, This from my Cousin who is the Technical Editor for the BMW Car Club of America. To paraphrase:"Unless you are an engineer or an expert, always use BMW recommended parts and lubricants. If you do your vehicle will always work right and the parts will always fit right" We are not talking about a 1980s Kawasaki that you just dragged out of your friend's uncles basement. You bought a motorcycle that is the Rolls Royce of motorcycles and it would be well to provide it with Rolls Royce parts and fluids. Best, 3hawks.

To begin, I am not a wealthy BMW owner. I collect a salary of just shy of $75K and no rich uncle, nor connections with a BMW dealer or shop to give me a super discount. However, This from my Cousin who is the Technical Editor for the BMW Car Club of America. To paraphrase:"Unless you are an engineer or an expert, always use BMW recommended parts and lubricants. If you do your vehicle will always work right and the parts will always fit right" We are not talking about a 1980s Kawasaki that you just dragged out of your friend's uncles basement. You bought a motorcycle that is the Rolls Royce of motorcycles and it would be well to provide it with Rolls Royce parts and fluids. Best, 3hawks.

Advice that is off the mark. There are many oils that will work as well as an oil with a BMW Rondel glued on it, and at far less cost. BMW is kind enough to tell you how to find these many other acceptable oils in the Owner’s Manual in the section labeled “Specifications”. Use an oil that meets the specifications and it will be near impossible to go wrong, BMW Rondel or not.

Advice that is off the mark. There are many oils that will work as well as an oil with a BMW Rondel glued on it, and at far less cost. BMW is kind enough to tell you how to find these many other acceptable oils in the Owner’s Manual in the section labeled “Specifications”. Use an oil that meets the specifications and it will be near impossible to go wrong, BMW Rondel or not.

Excellent advice and furthermore, BMW doesn't make oil, they repackage another company's oil that fits the specs they want.
Buy the correct spec oil and stop worrying about things that you don't need to and save a few bucks in the meantime.

Back