• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

New From Wisconsin - Land of Beer, Cheese and Harley Davidsons

milwlandrover

Hi guys, My name is Mark and I live in Greendale Wisconsin just outside of Milwaukee. I had was riding (without permission) my dads old 350cc Harley Sprint when I was 14years old until I was in high school and bought a Honda. I was broad sided by a car. (3) breaks (3) fractures to my tib-fibula and a crushed ankle a sub-Dural hematoma and broken ribs later I got married, had kids bought a house and was forced to give up riding unless I could borrow a bike. I borrowed Suzuki's, Kawasaki's and my friend had an 850 Norton Commando that I regular has use of.
Cut to 40 years later.... , the kids grew up and moved out. I was diagnosed with MS about 6 years ago, my wife decided she "wanted to do something else" after 40 years of marriage, I sold the house, some the my car and most of my toys. Gave 60% of the sales to her and started over. I bought my home 2 years ago and have recently looked at getting back into biking. My balance is reasonably good considering, my strength is excellent. I am certified in Shorin-Ryu Okinawan Karate, Certified in scuba diving, certified first responder, certified first aid certified water rescue. I trained as a rodeo clown (American bull-fighter), have bungee jumped. I pretty much know (and no) what I am doing (and not doing).
My question is... I have found (2) bikes that I am interested in. A 1987 K75S (rare mint green) excellent condition, never dropped low miles, new tires everything works $2795.00 OR a 1977 R100S (black) well taken care of but not perfect, doesn't look dropped but 3rd owner, unknown mileage, good tires $4000.00.
The R100S positive is it is an and R bike that is so reliable it is hard to not love it, it is original and different and could be cleaned up to look great.
The K75S positive is it is newer, less expensive, looks great now, I really like the color

what do you guys think?

The R100S positive is it is an and R bike that is so reliable it is hard to not love it, it is original and different and could be cleaned up to look great.
The K75S positive is it is newer, less expensive, looks great now, I really like the color

what do you guys think?

Welcome to the forum.
The K75S is also bullet proof and easy to work on.
We had a R100 and four K75s and the R100 required more tinkering.

Helpful

Thanks for the quick response. When I sat on the K75 it felt higher and my feet were not flat on the ground.
the R100 felt more comfortable and lower. My feet were flat which is going to be more important for me then most people.
I am assuming the K can be lowered without too much trouble...
am I right?

You can buy a shorter rear shock and slide the fork tubes up, but then you need to modify the side and centerstand.
A lower seat would be a cheaper option.
Would 1 inch lower be enough?

lowering a K75S

I think the 1" will do the job. He has the original seat but there is an aftermarket 2 person seat on it now.

once again

Thanks for your quick response. I have a 1971 914 Porsche I am rebuilding and I know from experience how much help a site dedicated to a pursuit can be. I don't think I could do much of anything without knowledge help.

cheers!

markw

BMW had a factory low seat option but it got ride of the side panels and there would be hardware you would need to add.
Maybe one of the seat companies like Sargent has a low seat.
98lee on this site is a K75 expert and he may be able to help with suggestions.

Four things differ on the K75S vis the T and C models. Handlebars, fairing, rear tire size and rear brake is a disk. I would go for the K75S. Make sure the brake lines are metal and not rubber and the fluid was change regularly.
Kool color and find!:thumb

I had a half inch added to the soles of my riding boots. Under normal conditions I set the balls of my feet on the ground on both bikes. If I stretch, I can flat foot the road but most of the time you only need the left foot down at a stop.

My K100 is a really smooth ride but my friend's K75 is even smoother!

Back