• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Electric bikes gone wild

You are correct - weight is only about 80 lbs for the QuietKat e-bikes. My mistake. I was looking at their load capacity.

By way of comparison, my human powered Kona HonzoCR weighs about 27 lbs.

I can dig it. My Colnago Ace is a bit over 17. It's a hoot.

Imho, the more folks we can get on bicycles the better. For bikes above a certain speed threshold, maybe we should require training? Bad bicycling etiquette gets people hurt or killed.

In NYC recently, bike trips have increased by a couple hundred thousand over last year, as people move off mass transit. They're using those Citi Bikes and the bike Lanes. Covid may normalize bicycles for urban use.

I used to watch Superbikes, a show with Jayson Britton.

https://www.jasonbritton.com/gallery

A lot of his training was in California on nice bikes. IIRC, he used to do 27 miles on his “regular” route.

It kept him in great shape. I think out here, 27 miles would result in 10 near death experiences :eek

OM

This is the owner of the bicycle museum in Cumberland Gap, the museum is in background that I posted in Bicycle thread.
He was out in his electric pedicab he fabbed.

47338FB1-2E44-47FC-BA23-D0E228D631D2.jpeg

3E41EAF0-8664-4938-ACC3-11316F9F950C.jpeg

The battery is a lithium pack on the rear rack above wheel.

67738A8C-7A32-462D-BF37-E7416910F63D.jpeg

The drive hub is a Shimano 8 speed Nexus w/ disc brake. He told me in spite of size, the rig is pretty zippy.

B969F353-34F6-4020-A6F0-C7B4BE3725AF.jpeg

I've recently started researching ebikes for hunting. getting in and out of some of my bigger farms while hunting is exhausting. The long walks cause sweating which can ensure the deer wont come around as well as the presence of a person walking from the parking area to the hunting spot can spook deer. We've never allowed any vehicles while hunting, only when retrieving downed deer do we currently allow 4 wheelers.
Now that we have chosen to allow bikes, I'm buying one.
There are hundreds of options, from cheap foreign made bikes to top end ebikes offered from racing bike manufacturers. The hunting specific bikes are all over the place as well, from entry level to over the moon stuff.
I've found the QuietKat Ranger, it's a rear hub model which offers 750 or 1000watt motors. Where I hunt, the terrain is fairly flat with only rolling hills which allows me to look at the "cheaper" rear hub offerings. This particular model has a "hunting package" that comes with a 2 wheel trailer, gun holder, rear rack with panniers, fenders and GPS holder included. I've ordered but they won't ship until the end of June.
Looking forward to riding this bike around, they look like tons of fun

I've recently started researching ebikes for hunting. getting in and out of some of my bigger farms while hunting is exhausting. The long walks cause sweating which can ensure the deer wont come around as well as the presence of a person walking from the parking area to the hunting spot can spook deer. We've never allowed any vehicles while hunting, only when retrieving downed deer do we currently allow 4 wheelers.
Now that we have chosen to allow bikes, I'm buying one.
There are hundreds of options, from cheap foreign made bikes to top end ebikes offered from racing bike manufacturers. The hunting specific bikes are all over the place as well, from entry level to over the moon stuff.
I've found the QuietKat Ranger, it's a rear hub model which offers 750 or 1000watt motors. Where I hunt, the terrain is fairly flat with only rolling hills which allows me to look at the "cheaper" rear hub offerings. This particular model has a "hunting package" that comes with a 2 wheel trailer, gun holder, rear rack with panniers, fenders and GPS holder included. I've ordered but they won't ship until the end of June.
Looking forward to riding this bike around, they look like tons of fun
A number of the hunting shows are featuring that brand of electric bike. They are doing exactly that and it appears with great success.
Post up how you make out. I really have an interest in one.
Thanks.
OM

That QuietKat machine looks great. The trailer attached is going to make that a winning machine for sure. Looks like the trailer can carry 150+ pounds. Happy Hunting!

Ran across this in Austin today while retrieving a front fork I left at beginning of Covid in ATX.
The operator was describing being turned into a few days before. We compared stories from a distance and Q&A about each other’s bikes... I was on the GSA.

287C8F40-94E5-492D-B0CC-D7375D49EFA8.jpeg

01B7104B-40A6-45B3-8B2B-0132EB5B48C9.jpeg

E272C2AD-E4F4-4263-AA15-8CD26CBE0D2B.jpeg

Very cool machine and a perfect urban warrior. He had done a few minor mods going with the larger knobbies. Not a cheap entry level e-bike, but I would love to try one.

https://lunacycle.com/sur-ron-x-bike-black-edition/

I just received my QuietKat last week. I haven't ridden it much yet, only a few miles. Realized really quickly that I needed a bigger seat which I ordered immediately and arrived yesterday. Much more comfortable with the new seat.
Carried a few 50# bags of corn on the trailer, really didn't feel it back there. Only thing that makes any noise is the rear fender, did some adjusting and added a small piece of rubber around one of the rails on the rear rack and noise is gone.

This is the QuietKat Ranger 1000

Mz6HG5E.jpg

I just received my QuietKat last week. I haven't ridden it much yet, only a few miles. Realized really quickly that I needed a bigger seat which I ordered immediately and arrived yesterday. Much more comfortable with the new seat.
Carried a few 50# bags of corn on the trailer, really didn't feel it back there. Only thing that makes any noise is the rear fender, did some adjusting and added a small piece of rubber around one of the rails on the rear rack and noise is gone.

This is the QuietKat Ranger 1000

Mz6HG5E.jpg

Very cool :thumb
OM

Where is the corn going? Farm Animal Feed?
I live on a small 'farm" but don't have livestock. I am surrounded by ag farms. I feed the deer to keep them coming to my property

Yes. I don't hunt over the feeder and actually rarely hunt deer on my property BUT like to keep the does well fed so they come back every day. November brings in the bucks looking for a new sweetheart

I do make shine but not with the corn.

Back