Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Electric bikes gone wild

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat Omega Man's Avatar

Cool Electric bikes gone wild

I was recently at Cabela's and they have taken on the QuietKat like of electric bicycles. I am aware that the electric bike/scooter market is rapidly expanding but I have not really paid attention.

This is the Warrior 1000. The fit, finish and overall construction was excellent. They are powered by Panasonic batteries which I have had excellent results with.

Seems like 20 mile range- unassisted, not sure how long if the battery system is just used to give the rider a break or an assist on hills.

Sounds like a 6 hour charge cycle.

Looks like there is some versatility and the technology is getting better all the time.

OM
    "You can do good or you can do well. Sooner or later they make you choose." MI5
    Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

Nick Kennedy
    How much for that Warrior 1000?

I took a snapshot- that doesn’t want to upload

MSRP- $4,724
    Bass Pro Discount- $420
    Included options- rack and fenders- $130

Final price- $4,434.

OM
    Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

Gary - There's a lot of information around about e-bikes. I've paid some attention to this stuff and found that there's one website which seems most on top of the situation: https://www.cyclevolta.com
    John Gamel - BMW MOA Consumer Liaison 2018-Present
    2015 Ebony Metallic R1200RT
    MOA #153274
    "We have met the enemy and he is us." Pogo-via Walt Kelly

Quote Originally Posted by ExGMan View Post
    Gary - There's a lot of information around about e-bikes. I've paid some attention to this stuff and found that there's one website which seems most on top of the situation: https://www.cyclevolta.com
    I'll take a look John. My first exposure was the Zero motorcycles and what I saw was impressive. Chances are Zero's battery and related technology has even got better. I have a feeling that the batteries on motorcycles and bicycles are rolling a common theme. Bass Pro offered to let me test one but I didn't want to be the one to hit the fish tank
    I would like to try one in person when I had the time to really look one over. I do like the "fat" tire aspect of the QuietKat that has the possibility of easing the banging on my old bones.
    Thanks.
    Gary
    Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

Gary - I can tell you that one of the big problems with riding an electric bike is wiping that silly grin off your face that seems to be part of the experience.
    John Gamel - BMW MOA Consumer Liaison 2018-Present
    2015 Ebony Metallic R1200RT
    MOA #153274
    "We have met the enemy and he is us." Pogo-via Walt Kelly

Quote Originally Posted by Omega Man View Post
    I took a snapshot- that doesn’t want to upload

MSRP- $4,724
    Bass Pro Discount- $420
    Included options- rack and fenders- $130

Final price- $4,434.

OM
    For that much money, go look at bikes from traditional bicycle manufacturers like Specialized, IMHO.

If you're looking to use an eBike for running chores, google up electric cargo bikes. For most chores within a mile or so of ones home, electric bicycles, IMHO, represent the future or local transportation. I see cargo bikes riding home here with a couple bags of groceries in the bin and a kid or two sitting on the big bench seat on the bag.

Also note that there are different schemes for how electric bikes work. Some are like motorcycles, twist the grip and off you go. Others are pedal assist: you pedal and it amplifies your power with electric assist. Some do both, so you want that to be clear.

But mostly, I'd stick to traditional manufacturers because of their ability to offer higher quality components like brakes, wheel sets, etc.
    Dave Swider
    Marin County, CA

Some bikes. Some with motors, some without.

vark, you appear reticent to provide any personal information. If you provide a first name, general location and make/model/year of bike(s) owned it will make interacting on the forum easier and more rewarding for all.
    Kevin Huddy
    Silver City, Montana
    MOA# 24,790 Ambassador

8AE95D99-4471-4D60-9517-BAB3092810B1.jpeg

Belt drive fattie... looks pretty good
    Steve Henson-Mod Team and past prez SABMWRA

Be decisive, right or wrong.The road of life is paved with
    flat squirrels who couldn't make a decision~unknown

Registered User ALIENHITCHHIKER's Avatar

QuietKat Warrior

Trigger warning - this is a curmudgeon posting:

I hate to see these E-bikes set up with trail capable fat knobbies. It makes it too tempting to actually take these 300 lb machines onto hiking/mountain bike trails - a lot of weight for these sorts of trails to bear, not to mention the potential for excessive speed.

Hopefully anyone who rides one will have the good sense to stick to fire roads and gravel.
    Steve
    Current Hottie: '00 R1100RT
    Old Flames: '85 K100RT, '80 Yamaha XS850, '67 Triumph Bonnie, '66 Honda 90 Scrambler

Back to usage on designated park trails, bicycling, walking, jogging and such. The trails I use are posted, no motorized equipment. And, as I earlier posted, they're out on the trails here. And they're moving right along. Almost like, zo-o-o-ooooom. The fat tires can be heard coming from behind. Hope they got insurance.

It's dangerous enough with multiple use trails. Families and such on weekends. Strollers, hot wheels sometimes blocking the paths. Which is fine as long as all are careful. Have no idea where electric bicycles will be categorized. It would seem they're a motorized vehicle?

Quote Originally Posted by 8ninety8 View Post
    Back to usage on designated park trails, bicycling, walking, jogging and such. The trails I use are posted, no motorized equipment. And, as I earlier posted, they're out on the trails here. And they're moving right along. Almost like, zo-o-o-ooooom. The fat tires can be heard coming from behind. Hope they got insurance.

It's dangerous enough with multiple use trails. Families and such on weekends. Strollers, hot wheels sometimes blocking the paths. Which is fine as long as all are careful. Have no idea where electric bicycles will be categorized. It would seem they're a motorized vehicle?
    In the Des Moines area all the bicycle trails are marked No Motorized Vehicles but it's legal for electric bicycles to use the trails.
    Lee
    2016 R1200RS
    MOA # 30878
    Past BMW Bikes: 2011 K1300S, 2003 K1200RS, 1991 K75S, 1987 K75T, 1984 R100RT

E- cool!
    Corn hauler
    Steve Henson-Mod Team and past prez SABMWRA

Be decisive, right or wrong.The road of life is paved with
    flat squirrels who couldn't make a decision~unknown

Where is the corn going? Farm Animal Feed?

Quote Originally Posted by EUGENE View Post
    Where is the corn going? Farm Animal Feed?
    Deer?
    Lee
    2016 R1200RS
    MOA # 30878
    Past BMW Bikes: 2011 K1300S, 2003 K1200RS, 1991 K75S, 1987 K75T, 1984 R100RT