• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Whats going on here?

69zeff65

Brake caliper recall, transmission recall, don't sell order and another not yet announced brake and do not sell recall for other very popular BMW bikes.

G 310GS don't sell, calipers might corrode and go bad.

K Baggers might have a transmission issue so dealers are told not able to sell or deliver any more 1600 baggers

Now in the works is a "do not sell" order for the GS, GSA and RT due to a brake caliper leakage issue.

WHAT THE F---K is going on with the quality control and out sourcing of the BMW motorcycle parts?

Aside from the apparent quality control issues here and the impacts on the dealer networks what about the consumer and loyal BMW buyer /rider?

60-80% of my local dealer inventory will be tied up in a "recall" "do not sell' and maybe a "do not ride" event! Why would they want to continue a relationship with BMW Motorad with all these brake and transmission issues?

The end result with BMW Motorad neglecting the two wheeled side of they're market might just be a whole sale abandonment of its loyal customer base much like Triumph just recently saw and with no real recovery for the market share.

Motorad should keep in mind the Motorcycle market was the rebirth after WW2 and did keep the brand alive during a number of very lean times and now may not be the time to turn the corporate backs on a solid life line.

I'm holding off any new purchases until BMW figures out what they want here!

Holding off till BMW figures it out...you'll be holding for a very long time. I still haven't gotten over the antenna ring debacle...imagine how long the snowflake wheel folks have been holding.

Fortunately, there are many other manufacturers from whom to buy motorcycles. And they never have recalls.

Right? :scratch

Can You Spell T-O-R-T?

While these part(s) "failures" are unfortunate, it's worth remembering most of these are described as "may" happen. In this tort-happy, litigious society, Munich must adopt an über-conservative posture. While I cannot inspect a K1600 tranny (if I owned one), I can identify a leaking brake caliper and in the absence of any such, will keep riding my GSA until my dealer (Sandia BMW) tells me they have the replacement part and/or other solution ready. I can live with that bargain.

Fortunately, there are many other manufacturers from whom to buy motorcycles. And they never have recalls.

Right? :scratch

Just got your comment! Haha! Beautiful use of words/text without the interpersonal face to face and expressions to demonstrate sarcasm!

What's Going on Here?

2004 R1150RT. 108k miles. (Original non-rebuilt, non-opened rear end)

According to all the truth on the Internet, my rear end should have failed a long, long time ago.

You Haven't Seen Anything Yet

i got a look at the R18 cruiser this weekend at the AIMExpo this weekend.

My local Harley guy (small town - only allowed one) was all fired up about it. He noted the open drive shaft as being real cool.

The engine is huge.

I have to believe those monster pistons going back and forth are going to cause blurred vision:)

Wayne Koppa
Grayling, MI
#71,449

I rode 11 hrs back from Utah yesterday on my R1200GS and you know what? It ran perfectly!

Regarding nomenclature, I accept rear end and final drive as meaningful but when I read that unit referred to as a "differential" I can only grimace and shake my head. That is akin to calling a ball joint a kingpin or a roller bearing a bushing.

Attendance at AIMExpo

I thought it was thin on Saturday morning but filled up nicely in the afternoon. I did not go back on Sunday as that I wanted to take a relaxed ride back to Northern Michigan. As it was still got in after dark and after it started raining. The AMA Museum on Friday night and the indoor short track races on Saturday night helped make it worth the trip. They had several classes from big bikes to small bikes and one class of electric bicycles. We need to get some of those for the National. The electric bikes with everyone taking different lines was a hoot. You could just tell that people were thinking - I could do that. I have attended all their locations on the Expo except Vegas (Orlando, Columbus and Vegas) and the Columbus site works best for me. Moreover, don't know how they can build their audience moving it around. Going down to Orlando was an interesting ride but downtown Orlando never seemed like motorcycle territory. Ohio rides. I was missing a few exhibitors that were there in the past and hope they come back or perhaps they were there and I did not see them. Its a great chance to see stuff up close that you may not understand well from a magazine article. Got to see something that may be a game changer in the tire replacement arena from overseas that I did not notice before. Maybe there will be a review in an upcoming very popular association magazine. Who knows? AIMExpo will be back in Columbus next year and so will I. Need to see next year if events line up like this year where the Barber Festival is the next weekend followed by the Falling Leaf Rally. It would be fun to ride from one to the other taking in any great road opportunities in-between and hoping the locks on the house are not changed before I get back.

Wayne Koppa
Grayling, MI

Brake caliper recall, transmission recall, don't sell order and another not yet announced brake and do not sell recall for other very popular BMW bikes.

G 310GS don't sell, calipers might corrode and go bad.

K Baggers might have a transmission issue so dealers are told not able to sell or deliver any more 1600 baggers

Now in the works is a "do not sell" order for the GS, GSA and RT due to a brake caliper leakage issue.

WHAT THE F---K is going on with the quality control and out sourcing of the BMW motorcycle parts?

In my opinion, it is the out-sourcing and the failure of BMW to conduct rigid quality control on parts made in certain countries where manufacturers have shown over and over they don't care about quality and will ignore specs and such. If BMW is going to out-source, BMW better be performing the quality checks rather than trusting these manufacturers.

That said, look back at other issues BMW had - "final drives", wheels, "lifetime" sealed oil/lube that wasn't - and see how they handled those. They denied, ignored, and stuck their customers with the bill. So this recall / no sell policy is a WELCOME change to me. That's how it should be done. You don't sell the bikes and then see how many come back and how many you can get away with sticking the customers with the bill.

And yes, other bikes have issues too. My 2009 Suzuki GSF1250 had its rectifier assembly recalled and replaced in 2011. Mine had not failed, but Suzuki was seeing too many failures and recalled them all. Fast forward to 2017 and Suzuki recalls and replaces the rectifier in my bike again - that in an 8-year old bike. That's how you take care of your customers and stand behind your product. BMW is simply now (maybe) learning that.

In my opinion, it is the out-sourcing and the failure of BMW to conduct rigid quality control on parts made in certain countries where manufacturers have shown over and over they don't care about quality and will ignore specs and such. If BMW is going to out-source, BMW better be performing the quality checks rather than trusting these manufacturers.

That said, look back at other issues BMW had - "final drives", wheels, "lifetime" sealed oil/lube that wasn't - and see how they handled those. They denied, ignored, and stuck their customers with the bill. So this recall / no sell policy is a WELCOME change to me. That's how it should be done. You don't sell the bikes and then see how many come back and how many you can get away with sticking the customers with the bill.

And yes, other bikes have issues too. My 2009 Suzuki GSF1250 had its rectifier assembly recalled and replaced in 2011. Mine had not failed, but Suzuki was seeing too many failures and recalled them all. Fast forward to 2017 and Suzuki recalls and replaces the rectifier in my bike again - that in an 8-year old bike. That's how you take care of your customers and stand behind your product. BMW is simply now (maybe) learning that.

Before we jump on the outsourcing bandwagon and countries that don't care about quality, when was the last BMW-made brake caliper?

And yes, other bikes have issues too. My 2009 Suzuki GSF1250 had its rectifier assembly recalled and replaced in 2011. Mine had not failed, but Suzuki was seeing too many failures and recalled them all. Fast forward to 2017 and Suzuki recalls and replaces the rectifier in my bike again - that in an 8-year old bike. That's how you take care of your customers and stand behind your product.

That's how you take care of your legal responsibilities.

The regulator/rectifiers in Suzukis, Hondas and Kawasakis have been crap for years. Somehow they continue to sell motorcycles.

There hasn't been a manufacturer of anything, ever that didn't have issues down the road.

Just a thought, "Tanaka Air Bags" has now hit the 10 million vehicle recall.

Back