• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Whats going on here?

In my opinion, it is the out-sourcing and the failure of BMW to conduct rigid quality control on parts made in certain countries where manufacturers have shown over and over they don't care about quality and will ignore specs and such. If BMW is going to out-source, BMW better be performing the quality checks rather than trusting these manufacturers.

That said, look back at other issues BMW had - "final drives", wheels, "lifetime" sealed oil/lube that wasn't - and see how they handled those. They denied, ignored, and stuck their customers with the bill. So this recall / no sell policy is a WELCOME change to me. That's how it should be done. You don't sell the bikes and then see how many come back and how many you can get away with sticking the customers with the bill.

And yes, other bikes have issues too. My 2009 Suzuki GSF1250 had its rectifier assembly recalled and replaced in 2011. Mine had not failed, but Suzuki was seeing too many failures and recalled them all. Fast forward to 2017 and Suzuki recalls and replaces the rectifier in my bike again - that in an 8-year old bike. That's how you take care of your customers and stand behind your product. BMW is simply now (maybe) learning that.

Hope you are right...however...2019 F850GS, early production run shipped out with too long a side stand. When stand extended bike is too close to vertical. Bike has to be leaned to right just to get stand down. If any crown to parking space, forget it you need absolute level or a fall over is a good possibility. BMW changed this stand sometime during the run and now the F850GS model comes with a curved stand and a decent stand angle. No notice or retro fit from BMW. It takes a plea to rep to get the "correct" curved stand to alleviate this safety hazard. BMW has a ways to go yet.

You got lucky... :thumb

Voni's R1100RS 412,000 miles. Original final drive with no repairs. My R1150R 177,000 miles. Original final drive with no repairs. The overall failure rate is something around 4 to 5 percent which is way too high for modern manufacturing but still that is 95% or so that don't fail.

In my opinion, it is the out-sourcing and the failure of BMW to conduct rigid quality control on parts made in certain countries where manufacturers have shown over and over they don't care about quality and will ignore specs and such. If BMW is going to out-source, BMW better be performing the quality checks rather than trusting these manufacturers.

I also concur. Yes, BMW and every other manufacturer out sources a lot of parts. That's how business is done. And everything mechanical will fail at some point. But when you're putting your name on the final product, you need to be certain those out sourced parts meet the original specifications and standards.

Last edited:
It seems to me no one is contesting the OP's stated facts.
This is a very sad state of affairs for the motorcycle division of BMW.
I hope they get this all sorted out quickly and people don't get financially hurt by this.
That's a lot of money sitting on those showroom floors locked up.
You need cashflow to keep the lights on and it all moving.

Caliper Replaced

Brake caliper recall, transmission recall, don't sell order and another not yet announced brake and do not sell recall for other very popular BMW bikes.

G 310GS don't sell, calipers might corrode and go bad.

K Baggers might have a transmission issue so dealers are told not able to sell or deliver any more 1600 baggers

Now in the works is a "do not sell" order for the GS, GSA and RT due to a brake caliper leakage issue.

WHAT THE F---K is going on with the quality control and out sourcing of the BMW motorcycle parts?

Aside from the apparent quality control issues here and the impacts on the dealer networks what about the consumer and loyal BMW buyer /rider?

60-80% of my local dealer inventory will be tied up in a "recall" "do not sell' and maybe a "do not ride" event! Why would they want to continue a relationship with BMW Motorad with all these brake and transmission issues?

The end result with BMW Motorad neglecting the two wheeled side of they're market might just be a whole sale abandonment of its loyal customer base much like Triumph just recently saw and with no real recovery for the market share.

Motorad should keep in mind the Motorcycle market was the rebirth after WW2 and did keep the brand alive during a number of very lean times and now may not be the time to turn the corporate backs on a solid life line.

I'm holding off any new purchases until BMW figures out what they want here!

Just had my rear caliper replaced on my 2018 R1200RT (K52) 6200 miles. Caliper was leaking from the bleed valve. Apparently, every time I released the rear brake, it would suck air. Rear brake went all the way to the stop. Warranty work.

I guess you missed post # 2. :)

Any claims about about BMW market share would be based on data that lags these recall events by many quarters or even years. So post #2 isn’t much of a rebuttal to the problems being raised here.

The side stands on the 2009 800gs had the same problem it was the design of the sidestand that was the culprit.

Any claims about about BMW market share would be based on data that lags these recall events by many quarters or even years. So post #2 isn’t much of a rebuttal to the problems being raised here.

Want to bet that the sales data for BMW does not remain good compared to their competitors? Their growth in market share was achieved despite issues and the resulting grumbling on this and other forums, but most buyers/riders do not participate on this or other forums. My earlier post was not a "rebuttal".... it was an observation.

Back