Thread: self cancelling turn signals

self cancelling turn signals

I have a 1994 K75RT with auto cancelling signal lights and a 1997 R1100GS which does not have this feature. Is it as simple as using the turn signal relay of the Kbike in the GS to allow it to have the auto cancelling feature. Any help would be appreciated. Robin

Welcome to the forum, Robin! This will get better visibility in the Oilhead sub forum. One of the moderators will move it for you...nothing for you to do, so stand by!
    Kurt -- Forum Liaison ---> Resources and Links Thread <---
    '78 R100/7 & '69 R69S & '52 R25/2
    mine-ineye-deatheah-pielayah-jooa-kalayus. oolah-minane-hay-meeriah-kal-oyus-algay-a-thaykin', buddy!

Quote Originally Posted by rghrrt View Post
    I have a 1994 K75RT with auto cancelling signal lights and a 1997 R1100GS which does not have this feature. Is it as simple as using the turn signal relay of the Kbike in the GS to allow it to have the auto cancelling feature. Any help would be appreciated. Robin
    No! The K75 has an electronic speedometer drive which sends pulses which are counted by the turn signal system. The R1100GS has a mechanical (cable) speedometer drive. So it won't work.

Check out the Kisan Signal Minder for your 1100. It will do what you want done. It looks like your bike takes the SM-5 unit.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

Self-cancelling signals

Quote Originally Posted by PGlaves View Post
    No! The K75 has an electronic speedometer drive which sends pulses which are counted by the turn signal system. The R1100GS has a mechanical (cable) speedometer drive. So it won't work.

Check out the Kisan Signal Minder for your 1100. It will do what you want done. It looks like your bike takes the SM-5 unit.
    Ditto Paul's advice. I'll add to that that there are lots of additional features to the Kisan. One of which is that you can convert to LED bulbs and the signal minder will look after any changes in bulb resistance. Let's you use the front and rear signals as running lights to increase visibility.
    One of my better farkle investments.
    The more I learn about women, the more I love motorcycles!

Quote Originally Posted by motorrod View Post
    Ditto Paul's advice. I'll add to that that there are lots of additional features to the Kisan. One of which is that you can convert to LED bulbs and the signal minder will look after any changes in bulb resistance. Let's you use the front and rear signals as running lights to increase visibility.
    One of my better farkle investments.
    Really? The Sm-5? I gotta try that out. I hate my dull rear turn signals.
    1997 R1100RT, 1981 KZ 440 LTD, R80RT, R90/6 sidecar, K1100RS,1983 K100RS (Cafe now)

“The major civilizing force in the world is not religion, it is sex.”

Quote Originally Posted by dieselyoda View Post
    Really? The Sm-5? I gotta try that out. I hate my dull rear turn signals.
    Check the website to match their model # to your RT.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

I have the Kisan on my R1100RT. I really like the "running lights" and self-cancelling turn signal functions but I miss the stock relay's ability to leave the four-way flashers going when the ignition is turned off. You don't need it often, but when you need it you need it. I pack the stock relay around with me just in case.
    - Glenn
    2000 R1100RT (current)
    1982 R100RT (traded)
    1970 BSA A65T, 1969 Honda CB350, 1967 Honda CB160 all fondly remembered

I see a SM5 was posted in the Marketplace today.

http://marketplace.bmwmoa.org/classi...ing-18447.aspx
    Lee
    2016 R1200RS
    MOA # 30878
    Past BMW Bikes: 2011 K1300S, 2003 K1200RS, 1991 K75S, 1987 K75T, 1984 R100RT

Quote Originally Posted by K7GLE View Post
    I have the Kisan on my R1100RT. I really like the "running lights" and self-cancelling turn signal functions but I miss the stock relay's ability to leave the four-way flashers going when the ignition is turned off. You don't need it often, but when you need it you need it. I pack the stock relay around with me just in case.
    I liked the Kisanuki SM-5 too but found that it tripled the key-off battery drain, unless modified. Most 1150s draw about 2-2.5 mA with the key off. My Kisan added 5 mA bringing the total to about 7.5 mA, which is enough to draw down your battery by about 30% or so.

Newer SM-5s may draw less with the Key off but buyers should ask if they are concerned.

Quote Originally Posted by roger 04 rt View Post
    I liked the Kisanuki SM-5 too but found that it tripled the key-off battery drain, unless modified. Most 1150s draw about 2-2.5 mA with the key off. My Kisan added 5 mA bringing the total to about 7.5 mA, which is enough to draw down your battery by about 30% or so.

Newer SM-5s may draw less with the Key off but buyers should ask if they are concerned.
    After reading your posts from a few years ago about this problem I talked to Kisan prior to the purchase and was told it had been resolved. (I almost said "rectified," but since it's already DC...) I haven't noticed any problems in the couple of years since installation, but have never made any measurements, and use a smart charger when at home.
    - Glenn
    2000 R1100RT (current)
    1982 R100RT (traded)
    1970 BSA A65T, 1969 Honda CB350, 1967 Honda CB160 all fondly remembered