• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

self cancelling turn signals

rghrrt

I have a 1994 K75RT with auto cancelling signal lights and a 1997 R1100GS which does not have this feature. Is it as simple as using the turn signal relay of the Kbike in the GS to allow it to have the auto cancelling feature. Any help would be appreciated. Robin

Welcome to the forum, Robin! This will get better visibility in the Oilhead sub forum. One of the moderators will move it for you...nothing for you to do, so stand by!

I have a 1994 K75RT with auto cancelling signal lights and a 1997 R1100GS which does not have this feature. Is it as simple as using the turn signal relay of the Kbike in the GS to allow it to have the auto cancelling feature. Any help would be appreciated. Robin

No! The K75 has an electronic speedometer drive which sends pulses which are counted by the turn signal system. The R1100GS has a mechanical (cable) speedometer drive. So it won't work.

Check out the Kisan Signal Minder for your 1100. It will do what you want done. It looks like your bike takes the SM-5 unit.

Self-cancelling signals

No! The K75 has an electronic speedometer drive which sends pulses which are counted by the turn signal system. The R1100GS has a mechanical (cable) speedometer drive. So it won't work.

Check out the Kisan Signal Minder for your 1100. It will do what you want done. It looks like your bike takes the SM-5 unit.

Ditto Paul's advice. I'll add to that that there are lots of additional features to the Kisan. One of which is that you can convert to LED bulbs and the signal minder will look after any changes in bulb resistance. Let's you use the front and rear signals as running lights to increase visibility.
One of my better farkle investments.

Ditto Paul's advice. I'll add to that that there are lots of additional features to the Kisan. One of which is that you can convert to LED bulbs and the signal minder will look after any changes in bulb resistance. Let's you use the front and rear signals as running lights to increase visibility.
One of my better farkle investments.

Really? The Sm-5? I gotta try that out. I hate my dull rear turn signals.

I have the Kisan on my R1100RT. I really like the "running lights" and self-cancelling turn signal functions but I miss the stock relay's ability to leave the four-way flashers going when the ignition is turned off. You don't need it often, but when you need it you need it. I pack the stock relay around with me just in case.

I have the Kisan on my R1100RT. I really like the "running lights" and self-cancelling turn signal functions but I miss the stock relay's ability to leave the four-way flashers going when the ignition is turned off. You don't need it often, but when you need it you need it. I pack the stock relay around with me just in case.

I liked the Kisanuki SM-5 too but found that it tripled the key-off battery drain, unless modified. Most 1150s draw about 2-2.5 mA with the key off. My Kisan added 5 mA bringing the total to about 7.5 mA, which is enough to draw down your battery by about 30% or so.

Newer SM-5s may draw less with the Key off but buyers should ask if they are concerned.

I liked the Kisanuki SM-5 too but found that it tripled the key-off battery drain, unless modified. Most 1150s draw about 2-2.5 mA with the key off. My Kisan added 5 mA bringing the total to about 7.5 mA, which is enough to draw down your battery by about 30% or so.

Newer SM-5s may draw less with the Key off but buyers should ask if they are concerned.

After reading your posts from a few years ago about this problem I talked to Kisan prior to the purchase and was told it had been resolved. (I almost said "rectified," but since it's already DC...:)) I haven't noticed any problems in the couple of years since installation, but have never made any measurements, and use a smart charger when at home.

Back