• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

1991 R100GS Paris Dakar Foot Peg Question

leafman60

Can someone verify part numbers for the rubber inserts that apparently go into the front toothed pegs of these bikes ?

According to the parts fiche the numbers should be:

46 71 1 451 397 left
46 71 1 451 398 right

The fiche sketch shows these rubber parts to be such that they would insert down into the 3-hole inside of the metal pegs. However,
the actual photos of the parts provided show a different type of rubber part that would slip over another type of metal peg.

My pegs-

20190928_112506[1].jpg

Check out part 14 46 7 454 887. It looks like this part actually fits over something. Your part numbers have a reduced section of the rubber part that might possible fit down inside the toothed peg as you probably want.

Check out part 14 46 7 454 887. It looks like this part actually fits over something. Your part numbers have a reduced section of the rubber part that might possible fit down inside the toothed peg as you probably want.

Thanks for the suggestion but that doesn't look like the correct item and it is not specified for a R100GS. Doesn't have the rubber pegs to fit down into the three inline holes of the foot peg.

Well, it looks like you found the right part. That part number shows up in RealOEM but when I follow the number through, I have to pick the year range for "EUR" models...it doesn't seem to indicate the US models. MaxBMW doesn't even show that particular part number. Looks like your website is a European-based site.

Also shows it for the GS line through the end of production. As well as Oilhead 850/1100/1150, even the 650GS as well as the R1200GS.

US models got the low pegs with the rubber over, while Euro models got the high pegs.

Hmmmm, that's odd. Mine is a US bike but you see the pegs I have. They appear to be the ones with inserts inside them.

If I'm looking up the prices correctly, those 46-71-1-242-109 rubber pieces are like $20 each ! ouch !

I just checked with the original owner of this bike and he explained that it, indeed, came with the serrated pegs from the factory as a US bike. He claims the Paris Dakar models were all so-equipped but the standard GS had the rubber covered pegs.

My question is not what came on the bike but what rubber insert will fit the pegs as shown in my previously posted picture.

My question is not what came on the bike but what rubber insert will fit the pegs as shown in my previously posted picture.

That's already been answered, so you're good to go. But my '91 PD (like other US models) came with the low pegs. Doesn't matter why, though. Just the way it is.

Twenty years ago it was quite a source of confusion on the Micapeak GS list, when US owners were asking about lowering pegs and the Euro owners were suggesting using the "low pegs" and it took a bit for people to figure out that the US owners had those low pegs the whole time. It's interesting to see that the 1150GS Adventure uses those same high pegs that you have, so maybe the R100GS US pegs would be a lowering solution for those bikes.

Back