• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

MOA Nav App -vs- Road Runner Nav App

ADVBrad

Does anyone know what the differences are between the App offerings from MOA vs RoadRunner Magazine? The same company develops the app for BOTH organizations it’s called Tourstart. The subscription rates are drastically different. MOA charges $18.49. RoadRunner $59.99.

The only difference I can think of is perhaps that the pre-designed tours from RoadRunner are not accessible.

Any thoughts? I’m looking for another Nav app to add to have back up to my Garmin Basecamp. Not sure which of these to go with. Or should I do Rever? Or Scenic? Ugh!

Thanks for any insight.

Does anyone know what the differences are between the App offerings from MOA vs RoadRunner Magazine? The same company develops the app for BOTH organizations it’s called Tourstart. The subscription rates are drastically different. MOA charges $18.49. RoadRunner $59.99.

The only difference I can think of is perhaps that the pre-designed tours from RoadRunner are not accessible.

Any thoughts? I’m looking for another Nav app to add to have back up to my Garmin Basecamp. Not sure which of these to go with. Or should I do Rever? Or Scenic? Ugh!

Thanks for any insight.

They’re the same app, from a third party provider. RoadRUNNER’s has better data because they’ve done a good job keeping track of their rides over the year... something I recommended over and over we do, but was ignored.

If you want a good navigation app there are a million to choose from that are way better than the one we chose, which I find almost dysfunctional. Further, if you read the Terms of Service on our app, if you post information there, the provider acquires unlimited rights to use it. I have thousands of routes that I’ve created for my articles and events over the years, and have contributed many of them to the MOA, but did not agree to their use under those terms. One of them that I created for the Fontana Getaway is in there without my permission and it shows a “secret” road that almost no one knows about.... not very happy about that! :mad

Two good ones I can recommend are Rever and OSMand.

Thanks for the feedback, and your honest appraisal. Really good info to consider.

I have Rever Pro version now and am trying to like it but their restriction of 25 max waypoints to get turn by turn instructions seems really limiting. The routes I design have WAY more waypoints than that to keep me on the route I want.

Thanks for the feedback, and your honest appraisal. Really good info to consider.

I have Rever Pro version now and am trying to like it but their restriction of 25 max waypoints to get turnby turn instructions seems really limiting. The routes I design have WAY more waypoints than that to keep me on the route I want.

That is exactly the same problem I run into... the only work around is to break your route into smaller parts, or to use via points instead of waypoints. You are like me in that you plan highly-detailed routes. Most people use GPS in “moving map” mode (see where you are) or to find an address.

Two other apps occurred to me after posting... RideWithGPS.com and Furkot.com RWGPS used to have features for moto but have moved on to focus on bicycles... a much bigger market. Furkot makes really good use of Google’s search features while planning a trip. Both export a decent GPX that works on the Garmin *most* of the time.

Last edited:
Back