Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Hydration pacs

Hydration pacs

Besides the camel bags does anyone have any practical
    Idea or device to carry water on the bike and keep it cool as posible and accesible to drink ?
    Planning on adding a bag above one of the panniers with some insulation material and put a camel bag there ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Plenty of past threads in the Similar Threads pane at the bottom of the screen. Plus this option in the Opportunities forum:

https://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread...-(pics-inside)
    Kurt -- Forum Liaison ---> Resources and Links Thread <---
    '78 R100/7 & '69 R69S & '52 R25/2
    mine-ineye-deatheah-pielayah-jooa-kalayus. oolah-minane-hay-meeriah-kal-oyus-algay-a-thaykin', buddy!

Quote Originally Posted by kmendez View Post
    Idea or device to carry water on the bike and keep it cool as posible and accesible to drink ?
    Planning on adding a bag above one of the panniers with some insulation material and put a camel bag there ?

There's a firefighter in LA who makes a neat system called MotoJug for carrying cool water and piping it directly to the rider. Here's a thread on his system: https://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread...-(pics-inside)

I have one of the MotoJug systems and it worked really well on a 9,000-mile, 6-week cross the US and back tour. I seems like he's improved it some.
    John Gamel - BMW MOA Consumer Liaison
    2015 Ebony Metallic R1200RT
    ďSo often times it happens that we live our lives in chains
    And we never even know we have the keyĒ

Registered User RIDERR1150GSADV's Avatar
    When using a camelback I freeze half the water in the bottom of the bladder overnight and next morning add cold water on top and have cool liquids for most of the day. YMMV

I know there are some alternatives but personally I prefer the camelback either as the whole backpack or just the bladder in the back of my rally suit...
    Last edited by RIDERR1150GSADV; 10-01-2019 at 01:56 PM.
    MOA # 108516
    Current ride 2018 R1200 GSA Triple Black
    Past rides '04 R1150RT, '05 K1200LT, '06 R1150GSA, Ď17 R1200RT

3 Red Bricks
    I put the camelback bladder in my tankbag. Camelback sells (or at least used to) a neat little hook that goes on the strap of the early Multivario tankbag to hold the hose end.

I FILL the bag with ice cubes, then top off with liquid. At every gas stop, I top off with ice from their soda machines and buy some more liquid.

Important note!!! After taking your sip or two, ALWAYS blow the liquid out of the hose! It's amazing how hot the liquid in the hose will become when exposed to the sun!

LONG MAY YOUR BRICK FLY!

Ride Safe, Ride Far, Ride Often

Lee Fulton Forum Moderator
    3 Marakesh Red K75Ss
    Mine, Hers, Spare

Pressurized hydration Pack

I don't have one of these (yet) but I've been looking at them for a while. If you have a long run of hose, it may be much easier than trying to suck the water ...

https://www.amazon.com/Geigerrig-Pre.../dp/B00870DGDS

and they apparently make insulating sleeves

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00L1R764Y...ing=UTF8&psc=1
    Bob
    2014 R1200RT

For ADV/dual sport type riding my Klim jacket has a hydration pocket for up to 3l bladder which works well.

For street Iím using a Mosko Moto Nomad tank bag that has a hydration pocket which I really like. I did 10 000 kmís on my R65 LS this summer in old school leathers and I have to say th3 Nomad was brilliant. I look forward to using it on my 1100s too.
    https://moskomoto.com/collections/al...nomad-tank-bag

I will use my camelback for purely off rides but in generalI hate backpacks etc on my motorcycles.

As for cold so what? I come from 40+ years of riding bicycles too with bottles on the bike or camelback and for me I donít care as long as itís wet. I donít need my beer cold either.
    http://beerthief.ca
    ITSteve: ride in peace my friend
    save $5 on a new SmugMug account, use this coupon7frrnSRiTt9Fk

In my venerable K75, Old Smokey, I had a one gallon windshield washer reservoir with windshield washer pump in my top case. The water hose ran under the seat and up to a retracter on the side of my tankbag. The pump was energized by a thumb switch on my left handlebar. (The bike had a solo seat and a big Harley FLH trunk. )

For the Iron Butt Rally I put a similar system using a gallon jug on Voni's R1100RS and another on on Steve Aikens' R1200RT.
    Last edited by PGlaves; 09-29-2019 at 02:25 PM.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

I'll second the Motojug setup - much easier to fill and use! Plus the water/ice stays cooler much, much longer than any hydration bladder system that I've used.
    Current: 2007 BMW R1200RT, 2013 F800GS
    Former: 1995 BMW K75S, 2009 BMW G650GS
    MOA Member #:150400, IBA#: 37558

Quote Originally Posted by ExGMan View Post
    There's a firefighter in LA who makes a neat system called MotoJug for carrying cool water and piping it directly to the rider. Here's a thread on his system: https://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread...-(pics-inside)

I have one of the MotoJug systems and it worked really well on a 9,000-mile, 6-week cross the US and back tour. I seems like he's improved it some.
    Plus one one the MotoJug. Purchased the bag, bought a one gallon jug from the grocery store where I shop, and then completely enjoyed my two week ride through the Dolores Four Corners dry area with cold ice water at the ready. Started each morning at McDonaldís with a bacon egg a d cheese, coffee and ice water for my jug. I did purchase a large soda each morning for water and ice rights so I didnít take advantage of McDonaldís, and the ice water in my jug lasted all day and night if I didnít drink it all. The bag hangs on the passenger peg and the water tube was easily long enough to wrap around my tank bad And beasily assessable. I guess some modifications would me necessary if riding two up though.....

Quote Originally Posted by weschmann View Post
    Plus one one the MotoJug. Purchased the bag, bought a one gallon jug from the grocery store where I shop, and then completely enjoyed my two week ride through the Dolores Four Corners dry area with cold ice water at the ready. Started each morning at McDonaldís with a bacon egg a d cheese, coffee and ice water for my jug. I did purchase a large soda each morning for water and ice rights so I didnít take advantage of McDonaldís, and the ice water in my jug lasted all day and night if I didnít drink it all. The bag hangs on the passenger peg and the water tube was easily long enough to wrap around my tank bad And beasily assessable. I guess some modifications would me necessary if riding two up though.....
    Donít disagree with the moto jug and I just purchased one but I wish it was more pleasing to the eye and the overall look of the bike. I know function over form but again my personal opinion wishing it could look more integrated like using the rotopaX water gallon pax mounted on the panniers and using the nice hose set up from the motojug

Donít disagree with the moto jug and I just purchased one but I wish it was more pleasing to the eye and the overall look of the bike. I know function over form but again my personal opinion wishing it could look more integrated like using the rotopaX water gallon pax mounted on the panniers and using the nice hose set up from the motojug

I guess there is always room for improvement or development in a dIfferent direction. I drop my bike too much to attach anything to panniers so would rather lose the bag and jug in a drop than potentially damage the panniers more by crushing the rotopac into them further. I guess you stated it correctly, function over form as I donít really care what someone else thinks of how I look going down the dirt roads. 😀

I have started using this item:

https://henty.cc/shop/enduro-backpack/?setreg=us

It really takes the load off of your shoulders and back. The nice thing is, I can wear it under both my Olympia and my Klim jackets. I wear it right over my LD shirt. I run the hose out the collar of my jacket. Love this item. I previously used the pouch in my Klim Badlands, as well as a Camelbak... I like the hip ride much better.
    John.
    Atwater, CA
    2015 R1200RT

+1 on the motojug. I will stop and get some beer and put some in the motojug. The beer is nice and cold when I get to my final stop. I think there is too much narcissism in the moto world.
    Buck in Greensboro, NC
    2013 R 1200 RT Midnight Blue - traded, 2014 R 1200 RT Ebony Metallic, 2016 S 1000 XR

This system has worked well for me:

https://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthread...dration-System

Harry
    My fleet: 2015 R1200GS, 2017 Toyota Prius Prime (plug-in hybrid)