• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Hydration pacs

kmendez

Besides the camel bags does anyone have any practical
Idea or device to carry water on the bike and keep it cool as posible and accesible to drink ?
Planning on adding a bag above one of the panniers with some insulation material and put a camel bag there ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Idea or device to carry water on the bike and keep it cool as posible and accesible to drink ?
Planning on adding a bag above one of the panniers with some insulation material and put a camel bag there ?

There's a firefighter in LA who makes a neat system called MotoJug for carrying cool water and piping it directly to the rider. Here's a thread on his system: https://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthrea...tion-System-is-back-in-Business-(pics-inside)

I have one of the MotoJug systems and it worked really well on a 9,000-mile, 6-week cross the US and back tour. I seems like he's improved it some.

When using a camelback I freeze half the water in the bottom of the bladder overnight and next morning add cold water on top and have cool liquids for most of the day. YMMV

I know there are some alternatives but personally I prefer the camelback either as the whole backpack or just the bladder in the back of my rally suit...

Last edited:
I put the camelback bladder in my tankbag. Camelback sells (or at least used to) a neat little hook that goes on the strap of the early Multivario tankbag to hold the hose end.

I FILL the bag with ice cubes, then top off with liquid. At every gas stop, I top off with ice from their soda machines and buy some more liquid.

Important note!!! After taking your sip or two, ALWAYS blow the liquid out of the hose! It's amazing how hot the liquid in the hose will become when exposed to the sun!

:dance:dance:dance

Pressurized hydration Pack

I don't have one of these (yet) but I've been looking at them for a while. If you have a long run of hose, it may be much easier than trying to suck the water ...

https://www.amazon.com/Geigerrig-Pressurized-Hydration-Engine-Reservoir/dp/B00870DGDS

and they apparently make insulating sleeves

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00L1R764Y/ref=twister_dp_update?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

For ADV/dual sport type riding my Klim jacket has a hydration pocket for up to 3l bladder which works well.

For street I’m using a Mosko Moto Nomad tank bag that has a hydration pocket which I really like. I did 10 000 km’s on my R65 LS this summer in old school leathers and I have to say th3 Nomad was brilliant. I look forward to using it on my 1100s too.
https://moskomoto.com/collections/all/products/nomad-tank-bag

I will use my camelback for purely off rides but in generalI hate backpacks etc on my motorcycles.

As for cold so what? I come from 40+ years of riding bicycles too with bottles on the bike or camelback and for me I don’t care as long as it’s wet. I don’t need my beer cold either.:D

In my venerable K75, Old Smokey, I had a one gallon windshield washer reservoir with windshield washer pump in my top case. The water hose ran under the seat and up to a retracter on the side of my tankbag. The pump was energized by a thumb switch on my left handlebar. (The bike had a solo seat and a big Harley FLH trunk. :) )

For the Iron Butt Rally I put a similar system using a gallon jug on Voni's R1100RS and another on on Steve Aikens' R1200RT.

Last edited:
I'll second the Motojug setup - much easier to fill and use! Plus the water/ice stays cooler much, much longer than any hydration bladder system that I've used.

There's a firefighter in LA who makes a neat system called MotoJug for carrying cool water and piping it directly to the rider. Here's a thread on his system: https://forums.bmwmoa.org/showthrea...tion-System-is-back-in-Business-(pics-inside)

I have one of the MotoJug systems and it worked really well on a 9,000-mile, 6-week cross the US and back tour. I seems like he's improved it some.

Plus one one the MotoJug. Purchased the bag, bought a one gallon jug from the grocery store where I shop, and then completely enjoyed my two week ride through the Dolores Four Corners dry area with cold ice water at the ready. Started each morning at McDonald’s with a bacon egg a d cheese, coffee and ice water for my jug. I did purchase a large soda each morning for water and ice rights so I didn’t take advantage of McDonald’s, and the ice water in my jug lasted all day and night if I didn’t drink it all. The bag hangs on the passenger peg and the water tube was easily long enough to wrap around my tank bad And beasily assessable. I guess some modifications would me necessary if riding two up though.....

Plus one one the MotoJug. Purchased the bag, bought a one gallon jug from the grocery store where I shop, and then completely enjoyed my two week ride through the Dolores Four Corners dry area with cold ice water at the ready. Started each morning at McDonald’s with a bacon egg a d cheese, coffee and ice water for my jug. I did purchase a large soda each morning for water and ice rights so I didn’t take advantage of McDonald’s, and the ice water in my jug lasted all day and night if I didn’t drink it all. The bag hangs on the passenger peg and the water tube was easily long enough to wrap around my tank bad And beasily assessable. I guess some modifications would me necessary if riding two up though.....

Don’t disagree with the moto jug and I just purchased one but I wish it was more pleasing to the eye and the overall look of the bike. I know function over form but again my personal opinion wishing it could look more integrated like using the rotopaX water gallon pax mounted on the panniers and using the nice hose set up from the motojug

Don’t disagree with the moto jug and I just purchased one but I wish it was more pleasing to the eye and the overall look of the bike. I know function over form but again my personal opinion wishing it could look more integrated like using the rotopaX water gallon pax mounted on the panniers and using the nice hose set up from the motojug

I guess there is always room for improvement or development in a dIfferent direction. I drop my bike too much to attach anything to panniers so would rather lose the bag and jug in a drop than potentially damage the panniers more by crushing the rotopac into them further. I guess you stated it correctly, function over form as I don’t really care what someone else thinks of how I look going down the dirt roads. 😀

I have started using this item:

https://henty.cc/shop/enduro-backpack/?setreg=us

It really takes the load off of your shoulders and back. The nice thing is, I can wear it under both my Olympia and my Klim jackets. I wear it right over my LD shirt. I run the hose out the collar of my jacket. Love this item. I previously used the pouch in my Klim Badlands, as well as a Camelbak... I like the hip ride much better.

+1 on the motojug. I will stop and get some beer and put some in the motojug. The beer is nice and cold when I get to my final stop. I think there is too much narcissism in the moto world.

My question for those that use the Coleman jugs, how convenient is it run the hose up to where it is needed without it being in the way for mounting or dismounting the bike?

What appeals to me with this system very my camelback would be the ease of cleaning the unit.

I have been using the motojug for many 1000s of miles and no issue with the tube.

Could you post a pic of the tubing on your bike? Does one simply run the tubing under the body work from the Coleman and reappear by the handlebars?

Last edited:
I’ve used jug-based hydration system before, in both suction and powered-pump versions. A key issue on jug-based systems is how the drinking hose enters the jug, and how that connection is booted or sealed so that rain or road splash can’t follow the outside of the hose and enter the jug. Just something to keep an eye on as you evaluate or install such systems.

Best,
DeVern

Back