• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

'03 K1200rs windshield problem

richw

I've used the windshield in the "up" and "down" positions, but yesterday, 700+ miles from home, while in the "up" position, the windshield mounting arms folded back, leaving the windshield tipped back at 45 degrees or more
When I put it back in the "up" position, it tips back again after running for a while at high speed.
Anyone else had this problem? What the solution?

Welcome to the forum.
Not sure what arms are folding.
Are you able to post a picture?

Are you talking about the plastic silver support arms or the little levers I have marked in my picture?

IMG_0077 - Copy_LI.jpg

There appears to be extra pieces for your aftermarket shield.
Maybe someone with the same shield can help.

Lee,
I think maybe the main extra part is the dark plexi deflector. The arms are the issue. Not sure though, since the whole unit came to me this way. What are the springs in your photo?

Lee,
I think maybe the main extra part is the dark plexi deflector. The arms are the issue. Not sure though, since the whole unit came to me this way. What are the springs in your photo?

The springs are hidden inside the silver support arm. They keep tension on the shield to hold it in place.

I don't remember this piece on our bikes. We no longer have them so I can't check to be sure.

attachment.jpg

Rich,

Welcome to the forum!

We ask that every time you start a thread on this forum, you include the YEAR and model of the bike in question in THE TITLE of the thread. This helps in getting more pertinent answers and helps members search for similar issues with their bikes.

Adding the year to the title of your thread, after it has already been posted, is not easy for anyone other than the moderators, so if you would mention the year in your next post, I will add it to the title.

:dance:dance:dance

Rich,

Your bike has an aftermarket windshield, and with it, mounting bits that are unique to that shield.
As to your problem, my guess would be that the size of your shield, at speed, puts more force on the mechanism that BMW supplies which is designed for the smaller stock shield. That force causes the shield to collapse.
In truth I'm not clear on your failure mode, so I can't suggest specific approaches for a fix, but in general terms your options are clear.

Slow down (LOL!)
Switch back to a stock shield.
Redesign the pivoting mechanism in some manner to allow it to withstand greater wind forces.

And just spit-balling here: the K12GT of the same generation has a power windshield system. It might be possible to integrate that mechanism which may be able to better withstand the deflection forces.

FWIW, stock shield down and up, attached and I have no idea why they are upside down. Sorry.

Good luck.

Attachments

• IMG_0228 (6).jpg
    IMG_0228 (6).jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 142
  • IMG_0229 (1).jpg
    IMG_0229 (1).jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 134
  • IMG_0229 (1).jpg
    IMG_0229 (1).jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 137
  • IMG_0228 (6).jpg
    IMG_0228 (6).jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 138
Last edited:
R
In truth I'm not clear on your failure mode,.

Same for me.
He says the shield tilts back 45 degrees.
I wonder if the shield is just dropping to the low position.
If it's dropping to the low position it's probably due to the oversized shield.

Thanks, gentlemen.

I took off the shield and lubed and tighter everything without taking off the silver covers. Went about 5 miles towards home (in Georgia) from my daughter's (in Illinois), and the silver cover came loose on one side. I stopped.

Tornado warning was issued, two kids (tracking me on Google maps) called to tell me that I was stopped in the wrong place and a tornado was coming. Headed back, and the windshield came entirely loose at the bottom
Arms broken on one side, and plexi broken on the other.

I've repaired the broken arm with JB weld, hopefully it will hold until I get home at least. It was most likely broken for some time, causing the original problem. For what it's worth, there has been quite a bit of vibration on the windscreen for some time, and I suspect if I had taken the time earlier to tighten everything, I wouldn't have had this problem.

It's somewhat hard to describe the actual failure mode, and I'm assuming that the windshield on this model has only two positions, down, and up. In the up position, both halves of the upper arms on each side are aligned perpendicular to the windshield. In my case, the wind, vibration, and probable broken lower mount allowed the windshield to raise sufficiently for the outer portion of the upper arms to fold back.

Don't know if parts are available for replacement, but will look after this post. Sorry, but I didn't take a "before" picture - but am attaching an "after" of the repaired part.

Also, my K1200RS is a 2003 model year, sorry for the omission.

Thanks for the update.
Yes, the shield only has 2 positions.
The lower arm part number is 46 63 7 658 866
Are you sitting down? The cost is $59.43 for one.
46637658866_1_B.jpg

Make sure I pictured the correct part.
I have a broken shield arm from Deb's 03 K1200RS and it looks different compared to your picture.

Lee,
Thanks for all your trouble.

Actually, it is not the arm that failed. It is the flex f shaft that the arm mounts to, or specifically, the fitting on the end of that shaft. I found part 46632307796 - but that is the older version. I found the rod itself, part 9 in the attached drawing, and the part you referenced, part 8 in the attached drawing. There is an additional fitting, 2 required, that fits into the rod and connects the rod (9) to the crank (8). It also has the crank for the spring as shown in your previous photo. One of those fittings is broken where it clamps to the crank (8). I don't see it in the drawing, and the rod appears to be permanently crimped to the fitting in any case. It seems that the item must be replaced as a unit, the rod (9), and the two ends missing from the drawing.

DisplayImage.jpeg

Lee,
Thanks for all your trouble.

Actually, it is not the arm that failed. It is the flex f shaft that the arm mounts to, or specifically, the fitting on the end of that shaft. I found part 46632307796 - but that is the older version. I found the rod itself, part 9 in the attached drawing, and the part you referenced, part 8 in the attached drawing. There is an additional fitting, 2 required, that fits into the rod and connects the rod (9) to the crank (8). It also has the crank for the spring as shown in your previous photo. One of those fittings is broken where it clamps to the crank (8). I don't see it in the drawing, and the rod appears to be permanently crimped to the fitting in any case. It seems that the item must be replaced as a unit, the rod (9), and the two ends missing from the drawing.

View attachment 75783

Part 9 from the exploded assembly drawing is 46637653390, and does include the ends to connect to part 8. Now all it will take is money, time, and effort.šŸ˜ƒ

Weighing whether I want to wait in Illinois, or ride to Georgia without a windshield.

Back