• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

'03 K1200rs windshield problem

Darn it.

There's one problem with that idea. . .

It never occurred to me. That's what I'll do.

The little lever on Debbie's RS broke when both bikes went over in a storm.
JB weld did not hold to fix the lever so I used a little duct tape to kept the shield from shaking.
It worked on the 1,000 ride from Texas to Iowa.

The little lever on Debbie's RS broke when both bikes went over in a storm.
JB weld did not hold to fix the lever so I used a little duct tape to kept the shield from shaking.
It worked on the 1,000 ride from Texas to Iowa.

Something like this?:
IMG_20191001_160946846.jpg

I'll let you know how it went when I get home. Thanks.

I'll need a new windshield. The options that I'm considering are:

AeroFlow (tall) -
I'm willing to assume that the breakage of the linkage was induced by lack of maintainance or some other oddity. They can make me a windshield, even though they will no longer make the mounting hardware. The windshield looks good on the bike, and is fairly rigid due to compound curves. However, I always wished it was taller, maybe 2". I'm 6'1" plus, and mostly from the waist up.

BMW "Comfort" windshield. Probably the best choice, except I think it's even shorter than the AeroFlow. I have the long bar-backs, and suspect it would be more windy than the AeroFlow.

Parabellum -
From the pictures, they look to have single axis curves only, and are about the same price. They also look taller, so might be better for wind noise.

I would also consider a top extension.

Anyone have any thoughts/advice/experience to share?

Something like this?:

I'll let you know how it went when I get home. Thanks.

I used less tape but that should work :)
Remove the tape as soon as you get home so it does not react with paint.

Anyone have any thoughts/advice/experience to share?

I'm a bad one to ask, both me and my wife used the stock RS shield in the low position.
I'm 6' with 34" inseam and my wife is 5' 10" with 34" inseam.
A tall shield will keep more air off of you but a short shield or no shield is quieter a lot of times.

Got back Thursday. Tape held fine from Central Illinois to home 100 miles south of Atlanta.

The whole trip involved trailering from Atlanta to Reno for the National Air Races. Circled and visited Virginia City, Lake Tahoe, North to Crater Lake, back to Reno, then to Salt Lake, snow storms and camping in Yellowstone, Grand Tetons, across Wyoming and Nebraska, daughter and grandkids in Illinois, and back to 98 degree temperatures, stop and go traffic, and smog warnings through Atlanta.

Gone a month, camped a little less than half. Nice to be home. I'm ready to do it again.

A tall shield will keep more air off of you but a short shield or no shield is quieter a lot of times.
I removed what was left of my tall Aero-Flow windshield and rode about 20 miles at up to 75 mph or so. Windy, of course, but not much noisier, if any, as you suggested. Maybe quieter, or at least a higher pitch hiss rather than a low turbulent rumble, if that makes sense. Anyway, I get your point. Thanks.

Last edited:
I bought the 'last ever' tall AeroFlow (according to them).

Somewhat to my surprise, it is taller than what I had. The previous owner must have inadvertently mislead me.

The top of the windshield is just below eye level when in the up position, and is much quieter than my old windshield.

I'm happy with it.

Rich,

Your bike has an aftermarket windshield, and with it, mounting bits that are unique to that shield.
As to your problem, my guess would be that the size of your shield, at speed, puts more force on the mechanism that BMW supplies which is designed for the smaller stock shield. That force causes the shield to collapse.
In truth I'm not clear on your failure mode, so I can't suggest specific approaches for a fix, but in general terms your options are clear.

Slow down (LOL!)
Switch back to a stock shield.
Redesign the pivoting mechanism in some manner to allow it to withstand greater wind forces.

And just spit-balling here: the K12GT of the same generation has a power windshield system. It might be possible to integrate that mechanism which may be able to better withstand the deflection forces.

FWIW, stock shield down and up, attached and I have no idea why they are upside down. Sorry.

Good luck.

IMHO Jeff is correct in his assessment of the problem- your larger after market windshield has overloaded the spring assembly installed to secure the stock RS windshield in its up or down position. I have a 2003 K1200RS also and have never experienced any problem with the windshield positioning assembly.

Adding the GT’s electric windshield operator will not fix the issue—there are plenty of GT riders who are unable to adjust their aftermarket screens on the go and who experience issues with the WS mechanism. Perhaps you can increase the spring tension on your existing setup?

Best,
DeVern

Hard to describe what I think actually happened, but I think it started with loose bolts and enlarged holes in the windshield, leading to a cracked lower mounting holes in the windshield, leading to the mounting bracket being over stressed, breaking, and allowing the upper bracket to go over center and the windshield to fold back.

I ordered the new Areo-Flow, and as I indicated, it is even taller than the one I had - so I understand the concerns about stress on the mounting assembly. However, it is more pleasant than the old one. The old one seemed to deflect the rough air right to my helmet. I suspect as Lee pointed out the lower stock windshield would have been quieter. I can attest that the higher current one is.

As far as mechanical strength, I'll be sure to keep the mounting screws tight. I've had this windshield up to triple digits briefly, and it seems OK. I'll post back here if the BMW mounts aren't up to the added stress.

Double wind screen with air capture...

The windscreen that came with your bike is a double windscreen with air capture.

When set up correctly, these essentially eliminate wind noise and buffeting.

Air is captured by the large leading screen as it protrudes out over the headlight.

Air capture path.PNG

It is then channeled up along the trailing/backside of the leading screen by a smaller trailing screen.

Air flow from channel.PNG

This design reduces or eliminates negative trailing pressure behind the windscreens.

And keeps direct airflow off of the rider.

It thus reduces or eliminates wind noise and buffeting on the rider.

MadStad has a line of screens with similar aerodynamics but these also have attitude adjustment mechanisms to achieve optimal windscreen angle (https://madstad.com/).

Unfortunately, they don't have a kit for the K12RSs.

Back