Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Painting bike

Painting bike

Thinking of having my 2015 r1200rt repainted to a new color (from ebony to white). Would be the bike and cases (including the large top case). Any comments about the do's and don'ts with painting. Not planning on doing it myself. Would have it done at a local shop. Thanks

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

It's an expensive job and it takes a specialty painter to do good work with the small curvy parts. Bikes that aren't stock colors get less money when trading. I'd trade bikes for the color I wanted IMHO.

#1 on the "do" list: Bring lots of money. My local body shop wanted 500.00 to spray the lid of my 49L topcase arctic white. Have you considered a wrap? Lots of colors and prints to chose from, and it may preserve the value of the bike. It can always be removed to show the original color.

Trade body panels with someone else looking to change things up?
    3Putt
    2019 RT

I had my white 2017 R120RT painted Granada red to match the color of my 1967 R60/2. I had it done by a professional painting shop selected by my BMW dealer, who disassembled and reassembled the bike.

Last edited by bmwdean; 09-25-2019 at 06:57 PM.
    Jeff Dean
    Tucson, Arizona, and Madison, Wisconsin
    Co-founder, 1972, of BMW MOA -- http://bmwdean.com/r1200rtw.htm
    2017 R1200RT, 2019 R1250RT, 1967 R60/2

If you want a colour change, then go for it, but get it done by a professional spray painter at a body shop. I had my Top Box lid resprayed in Arctic White to match the bike, and it cost me about $200 Aussie dollars ($135 USD). Take the bike to get a quote and tell them that you will take the body panels off the bike.

How about a vinyl wrap?
    2000 R1200C, 2019 R1250RT

You should make the bike the way you want it, other wise why have it. If you are worry about selling it or trading it it them leave it along

First thing i did upon recieving my new to me 2017 RT. My BMW dealer recommended a great painter. He took care of some minor scratches, plugged up the antennae hole and painted the clear windshield parts that are off to the sides. Hoped in going to a safety yellow the bike would be noticed by cars. No help.....

IMG_20191111_091522_549.jpg

Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat Omega Man's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ronmessick View Post
    First thing i did upon recieving my new to me 2017 RT. My BMW dealer recommended a great painter. He took care of some minor scratches, plugged up the antennae hole and painted the clear windshield parts that are off to the sides. Hoped in going to a safety yellow the bike would be noticed by cars. No help.....

IMG_20191111_091522_549.jpg
    Nice!
    Welcome to the forum!
    Gary
    "You can do good or you can do well. Sooner or later they make you choose." MI5
    Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

Booger Man
    Not bad.......I think it may grow on me.

I'm liking that safety yellow!

Quote Originally Posted by BostonG View Post
    Thinking of having my 2015 r1200rt repainted to a new color (from ebony to white). Would be the bike and cases (including the large top case). Any comments about the do's and don'ts with painting. Not planning on doing it myself. Would have it done at a local shop. Thanks

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
    What others has stated ... painting a bike usually reduces the resale value. Now that may or may not be a concern for you if you are planning to keep the bike for many many years. But any color change is a personal thing and like any customization limits your future buyers. The wrap suggesstion is a great option and something I would consider if I wanted a color change. That way you can always go back to stock if you ever wanted to sell or if you got tired of the new color.
    Ed Apelian
    Motorcycling is my passion because golf is far too dangerous!
    2018 R1200GS - Light White !
    2016 R1200RT- Platinum Bronze

Paint it, by happy, have fun!

Let's face it, 95% of us probably don't ride our motos to work as our daily rider. This is a hobby, a lifestyle, a calling, a non-drug prozac, a fulfilling and passionate endeavor, difficult to explain to the uninitiated. One may consider future value with a home, or perhaps the resale of a car, but when it's time to throw your leg over (or stab it through like me) and take off on your motorcycle, you want to be happy. For me, like Jeff Dean (he inspired me to alter the colour on my bike), making the bike my own has made me very happy. The painting was the 1st non-functional Farkle I spent money on. Every time I look at the bike, I'm thrilled with how it looks. Make it your own, and if you take care of it, there will always be a buyer.

"Red" is below:

rightsideOPT.jpg
    rightfront_OPT.jpg
    front_OPT.jpg
    Scotty
    BMWMOA 201086
    2012 r1200rt SOLD
    2018 "Extra Red" RT // 2019 Blue F850GSA

Man, that red really pops, sweet.
    So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains
    And we never even know we have the key