Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Anyone have the new First Gear Kilimanjaro 37.5 jacket?

2015 R1200GSA

I've purchased quite a bit of "Waterproof" gear over the years, bith for hunting and for motorcycling.

I've often "bit" on "Better or as good as Goretex" only to be disappointed in the end.

I'm on my second set of Klim Latitude gear, I put over 80,00 miles on the first set, sold it for more than half of what I paid for it, bought a second set.

My Latitude gear has kept me dry on two trips to the Arctic ocean and across the country in Spring/Summer/Fall.

When coupled with a set of LDComfort wicking base layer It has worked in hi temps and humidity as well.

I am comfortable with the vents open up to about 90F, above 90F I close the vents, open the sleeve cuffs and the collar, wet my sleeves and it is like riding with air conditioning. I usually have to close the sleeves some to keep from getting chilled.

I don't know what Max BMW is seliing the Latitude for but I encourage you to give Alex Johnson at Black Hills Moto a call 605-569-2705, he has always treated me exceptionally well, he sells a lot of KLIM Gear.
    The only dumb question is the unasked question - Anonymous

Eat every Ham Sandwich like it is your last Ham Sandwich! - Anonymous

Quote Originally Posted by RPGR90s View Post
    I have one and actually it's my 3rd Kiliminjaro series jacket. Definitely money well spent. If I recall, the armor is lighter and less than intrusive in the previous generation jacket.

This 37.5 version doesn't use a liner as the technology is supposed to keep you warmer in cold weather and cooler in hot weather. I commute 120 miles/day (southern MI) and have to say, I think it works.

Only on the hottest (85F and above days) do I switch over to my BMW mesh jacket.

And this time of year, I'll add my heated vest.

I've been caught in all day rainstorms and if you have the hood in your helmet, I haven't gotten wet. I use BMW Klimakomfort pants and BMW GS waterproof gloves.

Best jacket I've ever owned. And their customer service is pretty good too. two of the three jackets I've received for free due to very minor issues with the previous coats.

Hope that helps,
    RPG

RPGS90s - I guess I need to recheck my settings, I should be getting notices when someone responds but am not getting them.

Thanks. It helps. I has been down to the Kilimanjaro or the klim Apex. jpetropoulos mentioned the hi viz on the kil was more hi viz than he wanted and he went with a Klim. I started looking at that issue too. I never used much safety gear in the past - helmets only when in a helmet state, leather jacket and chaps maybe in cold weather but the weight discouraged me from wearing it much, summer in a t-shirt down the highway. I did always wear boots and long pants (no flip flops or shorts - had to draw the line somewhere lol). So in my new reincarnation where I am seriously ready to buy armored gear, I feel that I need to go one step further and make it hi viz too. But I don't want to look like a flag man on a bike. I did think the hi viz on the Klim was eye catching without being too yellow. The Kil had more yellow but I think I could live with it.

I know I could prob get one of each from Revzilla and check them both out and maybe I will. Anyway thanks for the help - I am leaning toward the Kil , the rain hood sells it for me. And your experience helps with that decision.

Quote Originally Posted by dudemang View Post
    I have an old version of this jacket as well. Purchased around 2011, I believe. I have never had any issues with water saturation. I found it on a clearance rack at a Honda dealer. I paid $100 for it at the time. I used it as my only jacket on a 7000 total mile trip from South Carolina out to New Mexico, Utah, Colorado area. Definitely money well spent!
    dudemang -

Thanks. As I stated on the post above I am sold on the Kil. I guess I will have to hit my local Honda dealer to find some deals. lol. Good score - I never seem to fall into those.

Quote Originally Posted by craigjv4 View Post
    Thanks craigjv4 for the link. That BMW brand looks like it has liners, I am looking for just a shell. It does have a hood so that is a plus.

Quote Originally Posted by bigjohnsd View Post
    I've purchased quite a bit of "Waterproof" gear over the years, bith for hunting and for motorcycling.

I've often "bit" on "Better or as good as Goretex" only to be disappointed in the end.

I'm on my second set of Klim Latitude gear, I put over 80,00 miles on the first set, sold it for more than half of what I paid for it, bought a second set.

My Latitude gear has kept me dry on two trips to the Arctic ocean and across the country in Spring/Summer/Fall.

When coupled with a set of LDComfort wicking base layer It has worked in hi temps and humidity as well.

I am comfortable with the vents open up to about 90F, above 90F I close the vents, open the sleeve cuffs and the collar, wet my sleeves and it is like riding with air conditioning. I usually have to close the sleeves some to keep from getting chilled.

I don't know what Max BMW is seliing the Latitude for but I encourage you to give Alex Johnson at Black Hills Moto a call 605-569-2705, he has always treated me exceptionally well, he sells a lot of KLIM Gear.

bigjohnsd -

I hear you and I have been bitten a few times too. I know the Klim with gore tex is tried and proven but I liked the look of the Kil plus it has the hood. The Klim I tried on at my local shop didn't fit me well even though it was my size. I hope I don't end up getting bit again. haha

Quote Originally Posted by chuck2 View Post
    dudemang -

Thanks. As I stated on the post above I am sold on the Kil. I guess I will have to hit my local Honda dealer to find some deals. lol. Good score - I never seem to fall into those.
    I think my score was luck of being at the right place at the right time. I live in an area where it's pretty damn hot in the summer. There was no way this dealer was going to sell a jacket like this in that season so it was priced to move.

Quote Originally Posted by dudemang View Post
    I think my score was luck of being at the right place at the right time. I live in an area where it's pretty damn hot in the summer. There was no way this dealer was going to sell a jacket like this in that season so it was priced to move.

Hahaha. Well it might have been luck, or maybe smarts on your part for looking at the jackets in summer.