• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Anyone have the new First Gear Kilimanjaro 37.5 jacket?

chuck2

I am looking for waterproof outer shell jacket with vents and a HOOD. First Gear offers what seems to be a new version of its Kilimanjaro jacket with a waterproofing they claim rivals Gore Tex called 37.5.

Does anyone have that jacket? and if so was it money well spent? I want a waterproof jacket with a hood and armor.

I am done with: carrying rain gear; pulling off on some exit and getting half soaked trying to get the gear on, that is if there is an exit nearby while either riding roads with no shoulder to pull off on or roads where you get ticketed for pulling off on the shoulder if it is not an emergency; or sweating my ass off wearing non-vented rain gear just in case those overhead clouds decide to open up.

Thanks.

https://amzn.to/2lD9lTj

Seems like some solid reviews (and great pricing too!) on Amazon. Might be a solid contender for cold weather and a better price point than some Beemer gear.

Agreed. I am sold on the waterproof outer shell (if 37.5 is actually waterproof), a collar rolled hood for rain & price point. I tried to search on forum but found no mention of this version of the Kilimanjaro. Seems like the older Kilimanjaros had inner linings (and not waterproof). Revzilla write up and First Gear says just shell and rider decides layers. I may have to call First Gear, their writeup didn't mention hood.

Olympia Troy jacket is another to consider. It has a rain liner that can be worn underneath or on top of the jacket and has mega vent panels that can be opened or closed. I have one and love it.

Olympia Troy jacket is another to consider. It has a rain liner that can be worn underneath or on top of the jacket and has mega vent panels that can be opened or closed. I have one and love it.

Thanks for the suggestion. It is a good looking jacket. I see it has a rain liner that can be worn as a rain jacket which would be preferable to a rain membrane under the jacket. I did have that style of "waterproof" jacket on my maybe list, but I am trying to get away from having to do anything when I hit rain except close my front vents on the run if they are open.

My only choices seemed to be Gore Tex at $$$$ then I saw the First Gear with the 37.5 technology for $$ + bonus hood. I was hoping someone had field tested one so I would know if they are OK or not. :).

Thanks again.

The Troy jacket is about the same length as the Kilimanjaro jacket. I tried them both. The Troy is a little lighter and more flexible/less bulky which is why I went with it.

I was looking for the same setup as you (shell with options for layering) and ordered the Kilimanjaro from Revzilla and got a Klim Latitude from MaxBMW in North Hampton NH (Max's pricing was amazingly good). I couldn't find anything but the Hi Viz version of the Kilimanjaro in my size anywhere which was a bummer for me. While I want some yellow, the Hi Viz version is too saturated for my taste. I wanted to compare them against each other for fit, features and quality. Both seemed to have tremendous reviews for performance in weather and wind. I have had them for a week just trying them on at home with various layering schemes underneath to try to figure out which one I would keep. I am no expert but they seemed close to identical to me. The one exception is that the Klim has no hood. Both are of excellent quality. Fit is nice for a sport touring bike (R100RS). For what it is worth, I am 5'7 170lbs and the medium in each fit me well..... enough room for a winter fleece base and light down shell (or an electric jacket / vest) but not much else.

Bottom line is that I kept the Klim because of the more modest hi viz and the wonderful price from Max. But the First Gear was a great great jacket. If your requirement is for a hood and you can find the color you want, I don't think you can go wrong with the Kilimanjaro.

Good luck

Jack

I was looking for the same setup as you (shell with options for layering) and ordered the Kilimanjaro from Revzilla and got a Klim Latitude from MaxBMW in North Hampton NH (Max's pricing was amazingly good). I couldn't find anything but the Hi Viz version of the Kilimanjaro in my size anywhere which was a bummer for me. While I want some yellow, the Hi Viz version is too saturated for my taste. I wanted to compare them against each other for fit, features and quality. Both seemed to have tremendous reviews for performance in weather and wind. I have had them for a week just trying them on at home with various layering schemes underneath to try to figure out which one I would keep. I am no expert but they seemed close to identical to me. The one exception is that the Klim has no hood. Both are of excellent quality. Fit is nice for a sport touring bike (R100RS). For what it is worth, I am 5'7 170lbs and the medium in each fit me well..... enough room for a winter fleece base and light down shell (or an electric jacket / vest) but not much else.

Bottom line is that I kept the Klim because of the more modest hi viz and the wonderful price from Max. But the First Gear was a great great jacket. If your requirement is for a hood and you can find the color you want, I don't think you can go wrong with the Kilimanjaro.

Good luck

Jack

Hey Jack -

Thanks for the info! We are the same size and I am on an RT so sounds like your experience with fit etc will be mine. I had a Gore Tex Klim on my list but was really liked the waterproof and hood in the F.G. Kilimanjaro. And as I sit here now I cannot remember or find my notes on which Klim I was leaning toward. :scratch. I think they had 3 jackets that varied in weigh only.

I did notice that the Kil was not available in all sizes from the vendors I looked at. Don't know if that means it is popular or being discontinued. LOL

I wanted to make a decision soon - although we are going to get hit with snow this weekend - so maybe I have a few months to make up my mind.

Thanks again! It helps.

I also wanted some yellow but not necessarily a lot of yellow.

I have this jacket and really love it

Hi,

I am on a 2010 R1200RT. Been using the Kilimanjaro 37.5 for a little over a year.

Took this as my primary jacket on a 3800 mile trip from NY up to the far reaches of Quebec and the Iles de la Madeleine.

Have been in several hours long downpours. Always kept me dry.

For an all around choice this has been a great jacket for me. The hood, stores in the collar and does a great job of keeping water from dripping off the back of my helmet . hood has a comfortable top and front with a waterproof back side.

The jacket functions as advertised. Revzilla has a decent video review. Generally, very comfortable, plenty of adjustments, reasonable armour, lots of pockets....

My only criticism, when the temperature rises above 80F,overheating begins immediately. Vents are ok but it really is not built for hot weather.

Hi,

I am on a 2010 R1200RT. Been using the Kilimanjaro 37.5 for a little over a year.

Took this as my primary jacket on a 3800 mile trip from NY up to the far reaches of Quebec and the Iles de la Madeleine.

Have been in several hours long downpours. Always kept me dry.

For an all around choice this has been a great jacket for me. The hood, stores in the collar and does a great job of keeping water from dripping off the back of my helmet . hood has a comfortable top and front with a waterproof back side.

The jacket functions as advertised. Revzilla has a decent video review. Generally, very comfortable, plenty of adjustments, reasonable armour, lots of pockets....

My only criticism, when the temperature rises above 80F,overheating begins immediately. Vents are ok but it really is not built for hot weather.

Hey -

Thanks for the review. I have not pulled the trigger on a jacket yet so your experience is helpful and timely. I never heard of the 37.5 tech that is used on the kilimanjaro so I was hesitant to buy and was starting to lean toward the "known" gore tex. However, I was surprised at the lack of hoods on the gore tex jackets. Maybe it is not an issue if you wear a full face helmet - but I have used 1/2 helms and 3/4 helms and I always get water running down my neck unless I use a hood.

"Have been in several hours long downpours. Always kept me dry." That is what I am looking for. I do not do well riding wet and cold - once cold I have a difficult time warming up. I hear you on the higher temps and overheating. It is always a balance on comfort and weather protection.

Thanks for chiming in with your experience. It is appreciated.

Chuck2

I am looking for waterproof outer shell jacket with vents and a HOOD. First Gear offers what seems to be a new version of its Kilimanjaro jacket with a waterproofing they claim rivals Gore Tex called 37.5.

Does anyone have that jacket? and if so was it money well spent? I want a waterproof jacket with a hood and armor.

I am done with: carrying rain gear; pulling off on some exit and getting half soaked trying to get the gear on, that is if there is an exit nearby while either riding roads with no shoulder to pull off on or roads where you get ticketed for pulling off on the shoulder if it is not an emergency; or sweating my ass off wearing non-vented rain gear just in case those overhead clouds decide to open up.

Thanks.

I have one and actually it's my 3rd Kiliminjaro series jacket. Definitely money well spent. If I recall, the armor is lighter and less than intrusive in the previous generation jacket.

This 37.5 version doesn't use a liner as the technology is supposed to keep you warmer in cold weather and cooler in hot weather. I commute 120 miles/day (southern MI) and have to say, I think it works.

Only on the hottest (85F and above days) do I switch over to my BMW mesh jacket.

And this time of year, I'll add my heated vest.

I've been caught in all day rainstorms and if you have the hood in your helmet, I haven't gotten wet. I use BMW Klimakomfort pants and BMW GS waterproof gloves.

Best jacket I've ever owned. And their customer service is pretty good too. two of the three jackets I've received for free due to very minor issues with the previous coats.

Hope that helps,
RPG

I have an old version of this jacket as well. Purchased around 2011, I believe. I have never had any issues with water saturation. I found it on a clearance rack at a Honda dealer. I paid $100 for it at the time. I used it as my only jacket on a 7000 total mile trip from South Carolina out to New Mexico, Utah, Colorado area. Definitely money well spent!

I've purchased quite a bit of "Waterproof" gear over the years, bith for hunting and for motorcycling.

I've often "bit" on "Better or as good as Goretex" only to be disappointed in the end.

I'm on my second set of Klim Latitude gear, I put over 80,00 miles on the first set, sold it for more than half of what I paid for it, bought a second set.

My Latitude gear has kept me dry on two trips to the Arctic ocean and across the country in Spring/Summer/Fall.

When coupled with a set of LDComfort wicking base layer It has worked in hi temps and humidity as well.

I am comfortable with the vents open up to about 90F, above 90F I close the vents, open the sleeve cuffs and the collar, wet my sleeves and it is like riding with air conditioning. I usually have to close the sleeves some to keep from getting chilled.

I don't know what Max BMW is seliing the Latitude for but I encourage you to give Alex Johnson at Black Hills Moto a call 605-569-2705, he has always treated me exceptionally well, he sells a lot of KLIM Gear.

I have one and actually it's my 3rd Kiliminjaro series jacket. Definitely money well spent. If I recall, the armor is lighter and less than intrusive in the previous generation jacket.

This 37.5 version doesn't use a liner as the technology is supposed to keep you warmer in cold weather and cooler in hot weather. I commute 120 miles/day (southern MI) and have to say, I think it works.

Only on the hottest (85F and above days) do I switch over to my BMW mesh jacket.

And this time of year, I'll add my heated vest.

I've been caught in all day rainstorms and if you have the hood in your helmet, I haven't gotten wet. I use BMW Klimakomfort pants and BMW GS waterproof gloves.

Best jacket I've ever owned. And their customer service is pretty good too. two of the three jackets I've received for free due to very minor issues with the previous coats.

Hope that helps,
RPG

RPGS90s - I guess I need to recheck my settings, I should be getting notices when someone responds but am not getting them.

Thanks. It helps. I has been down to the Kilimanjaro or the klim Apex. jpetropoulos mentioned the hi viz on the kil was more hi viz than he wanted and he went with a Klim. I started looking at that issue too. I never used much safety gear in the past - helmets only when in a helmet state, leather jacket and chaps maybe in cold weather but the weight discouraged me from wearing it much, summer in a t-shirt down the highway. I did always wear boots and long pants (no flip flops or shorts - had to draw the line somewhere lol). So in my new reincarnation where I am seriously ready to buy armored gear, I feel that I need to go one step further and make it hi viz too. But I don't want to look like a flag man on a bike. I did think the hi viz on the Klim was eye catching without being too yellow. The Kil had more yellow but I think I could live with it.

I know I could prob get one of each from Revzilla and check them both out and maybe I will. Anyway thanks for the help - I am leaning toward the Kil , the rain hood sells it for me. And your experience helps with that decision.

I have an old version of this jacket as well. Purchased around 2011, I believe. I have never had any issues with water saturation. I found it on a clearance rack at a Honda dealer. I paid $100 for it at the time. I used it as my only jacket on a 7000 total mile trip from South Carolina out to New Mexico, Utah, Colorado area. Definitely money well spent!

dudemang -

Thanks. As I stated on the post above I am sold on the Kil. I guess I will have to hit my local Honda dealer to find some deals. lol. Good score - I never seem to fall into those.

Back