Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 17

Thread: Cleaning Stained Aerostich Yellow Jacket

  1. #1
    Registered User ExGMan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Chestnut Hill, MA
    Posts
    1,703

    Cleaning Stained Aerostich Yellow Jacket

    I have followed the directions for washing my Aerostich Darien Jacket, using NikWax Tech Wash. I still have some significant staining (despite pre-treating with the NikWax, and wonder if anyone has had any luck with any product? I looked at the Gore-Tex website which does not recommend stain-remover solutions.

    I'll use some Revivex spray to attempt to make the jacket as waterproof as possible, but was hoping to clean up some of the stains accumulated in the last few years before I did that.
    John Gamel - BMW MOA Consumer Liaison
    2015 Ebony Metallic R1200RT
    “So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains
    And we never even know we have the key”

  2. #2
    Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat Omega Man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Mansfield,MA
    Posts
    14,457
    You could try a spot-treat with Cascade dishwasher product. Gore-tex is kind of iffy new.....IMO, GT gets more iffy with cleaning.
    OM
    "You can do good or you can do well. Sooner or later they make you choose." MI5
    Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

  3. #3
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    socal
    Posts
    1,002
    DAWN dishwashing liquid gives good results to heavy stains on riding gear
    Wet the stained area with water and apply dawn directly to stained area. I usually let it soak for a couple hours then into the wash with the rest of my clothes

  4. #4
    '99 '03 '06 National Co-Rally Chair Friedle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Poughkeepsie, NY
    Posts
    1,775

    Cleaning Aerostich

    Quote Originally Posted by ExGMan View Post
    I have followed the directions for washing my Aerostich Darien Jacket, using NikWax Tech Wash. I still have some significant staining (despite pre-treating with the NikWax, and wonder if anyone has had any luck with any product? I looked at the Gore-Tex website which does not recommend stain-remover solutions.

    I'll use some Revivex spray to attempt to make the jacket as waterproof as possible, but was hoping to clean up some of the stains accumulated in the last few years before I did that.



    Have you called the customer service people at Aerostich to get their thoughts on the matter? I think I might trust THEIR feedback about THEIR garment before soliciting advice from the great unwashed. Sorry, I just couldn't help myself, had to come clean. OK, OK I'll stop now.



    Friedle
    Ride fast safely

  5. #5
    Registered User ExGMan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Chestnut Hill, MA
    Posts
    1,703
    Quote Originally Posted by Friedle View Post
    Have you called the customer service people at Aerostich to get their thoughts on the matter? I think I might trust THEIR feedback about THEIR garment before soliciting advice from the great unwashed. Sorry, I just couldn't help myself, had to come clean. OK, OK I'll stop now.



    Friedle
    Aerostich has an extensive description of how to wash their garments on their website, which I have explicitly followed twice. The stains keep increasing and spreading, and following their directions is resulting in no improvement.
    John Gamel - BMW MOA Consumer Liaison
    2015 Ebony Metallic R1200RT
    “So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains
    And we never even know we have the key”

  6. #6
    IBA# 5819 61996's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Apple Valley, MN
    Posts
    4,019
    Quote Originally Posted by ExGMan View Post
    Aerostich has an extensive description of how to wash their garments on their website, which I have explicitly followed twice. The stains keep increasing and spreading, and following their directions is resulting in no improvement.
    You could always send it back to them for cleaning.
    “Fate whispers to the warrior, 'You can not withstand the storm.'
    The warrior whispers back, 'I am the storm.'

  7. #7
    '99 '03 '06 National Co-Rally Chair Friedle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Poughkeepsie, NY
    Posts
    1,775

    stained stich

    Or CALL them and speak to a PERSON who might be able to present more informed options than just the set of instructions on a website if it really matters to you. Can't hurt to call, might clean up your mess. Stop it, stop it, you're killing me !!

    Friedle
    riding around in a semi Hi Vis Stich
    Ride fast safely

  8. #8
    OldBMWMaster JDOCKERY132445's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Pleasure Island. NC
    Posts
    1,233

    From the Goretex site:

    Before laundering, saturate stained areas with an aerosol pre-wash treatment (Spray & Wash® , Shout® , etc.)
    Wash immediately, in warm water with liquid detergent. You may have to repeat this procedure for heavily stained garments.
    Tumble dry, medium heat.
    Touch up with a warm iron.
    For stubborn stains (chair lift grease, tree sap), consult a dry cleaner or call Gore Customer Service at 1-800-431-GORE.
    Jerry Dockery
    309 N. 3rd. Ave.
    Kure Beach, NC 28449
    2009 R 1200 RT,1996 R1100RT, 1985 K100RS...too fast to believe.

  9. #9
    i have seen dozens of riders in the Aerostich HiViz gear. Except for one or two whose gear was new, I have never seen a HyViz suit or jacket look clean. Expecting otherwise seems to me to be a fools errand. Smile upon it proudly, as it imparts street cred.
    Paul Glaves - "Big Bend", Texas U.S.A
    "The greatest challenge to any thinker is stating the problem in a way that will allow a solution." - Bertrand Russell
    http://web.bigbend.net/~glaves/

  10. #10
    SURVIVOR akbeemer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Big Sky Country
    Posts
    7,581
    While not Aerostich, Annie has two Olympia HiViz jackets. Both have always been stained since the first months of riding. At the rally she bought a replacement.... a white Klim. Guess how that looks after several thousand miles. Meanwhile, my gray Darien and gray Olympia still look, well, gray.
    Kevin Huddy
    The Outpost, Silver City, Montana

  11. #11
    My Klim Bandlander Pro hiviz stained very quickly. Klim knows it is a problem.
    Buck in Greensboro, NC
    2013 R 1200 RT Midnight Blue - traded, 2014 R 1200 RT Ebony Metallic, 2016 S 1000 XR

  12. #12

    Cleaning Aerostich YellowJacket

    Quote Originally Posted by ExGMan View Post
    I have followed the directions for washing my Aerostich Darien Jacket, using NikWax Tech Wash. I still have some significant staining (despite pre-treating with the NikWax, and wonder if anyone has had any luck with any product? I looked at the Gore-Tex website which does not recommend stain-remover solutions.

    I'll use some Revivex spray to attempt to make the jacket as waterproof as possible, but was hoping to clean up some of the stains accumulated in the last few years before I did that.
    Use Oxi Clean and problem is resolved. I have used this on 3 soiled jackets and it works. 3 scoops and medium hot water, sometimes go through 3 completes cycle and it will look like new.

  13. #13
    Registered User ExGMan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Chestnut Hill, MA
    Posts
    1,703
    Thanks Chet...good to know.

    JG
    John Gamel - BMW MOA Consumer Liaison
    2015 Ebony Metallic R1200RT
    “So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains
    And we never even know we have the key”

  14. #14
    Fortis Fortuna Adiuvat Omega Man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Mansfield,MA
    Posts
    14,457
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Chet View Post
    Use Oxi Clean and problem is resolved. I have used this on 3 soiled jackets and it works. 3 scoops and medium hot water, sometimes go through 3 completes cycle and it will look like new.
    Welcome to the forum Chet!
    Gary
    "You can do good or you can do well. Sooner or later they make you choose." MI5
    Mod Squad
    2009 F800GS 1994 TW200

  15. #15
    Alps Adventurer GlobalRider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Canada and the Alps
    Posts
    4,184
    Quote Originally Posted by ExGMan View Post
    ...wonder if anyone has had any luck with any product?
    I have used Shout for almost as long as I have had an Aerostich...since 1992. It is cheap and effective. Other than the usual fading due to the sun, even after 10 years, my red Roadcrafter looks like new.


    Quote Originally Posted by ExGMan View Post
    I looked at the Gore-Tex website which does not recommend stain-remover solutions.
    When I checked years ago, Gore-Tex recommended against wash-in treatments.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •