• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Big Bend National Park - Looking for Info

omni_138

Hello All,

I'm a new 750GS owner in the process of getting it kitted out the way I like. I was thinking for my first full trip on the bike I'd like to do some backcountry camping at Big Bend National Park (I'll be coming from Dallas). I've never been to that park and I'm looking for some information from any that have. How's the backcountry camping, how accessible is it on the GS, how challenging would getting the GS to the backcountry sites (I'm an experienced rider, but new to adventure touring with limited off-road experience). I'm planning for either November or pushing the trip to early April to get some experience/miles on the bike, and completely kitted the way I want.

Any advice is welcome!

Thank you,

Jason

Welcome to the forum.
Paul and Voni Glaves live north of the park and will probably reply with info on camping in the park.

Voni and I live 25 miles north of Study Butte - about 28 miles north of the west entrance to the park. There are three main campgrounds in the park. Rio Grand Village at the east end, Cottonwood Campground on the west side, and the third up at the Chisos Basin. All 3 have good tent camping.

There are numerous "back country" campsites. Several are within a few miles of paved roads on good gravel roads. Also - a few miles to the west of Study Butte and Lajitas on FM170 is Grassy Flats which is in the Big Bend Ranch State Park where the campground is right off the paved River Road. You can get a map at the entrance Kiosk and then sign up for a campsite at the Panther Junction visitor center.

When you have a schedule, message me or Voni and we can get together if your time permits.

Back