• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

R90S front turn signals loose after steering head bearing replacement

sirmanley

Just replaced my steering head bearings. Now my front turn signals are loose. Even with the S fairing installed the turn signal stems flop up and down about 1/8 inch. I remember them being much tighter than that. The rubber for the headlight bucket mount look OK. Anything I should look for when I strip it back down?

Could you show the current setup for your signals? For some reason, I thought they mounted to the sides of the fairing. Do they go thru and attach somewhere else?

As long as all the parts are in place then the fork tubes are too high in the lower clamps. There is a measurement, I think quoted in the factory. for the height.

I wouldn't ride it until you resolved the floppy turn signal stalks!

It sounds like you either missed something or the top clamp (handlebar mounting plate) is not correctly installed. Even without the extra support from the stalks passing through fairing those turn signal stalks should barely move even with some pressure. I would strongly recommend going back in and checking the work before you test ride it.

R90s

Just replaced my steering head bearings. Now my front turn signals are loose. Even with the S fairing installed the turn signal stems flop up and down about 1/8 inch. I remember them being much tighter than that. The rubber for the headlight bucket mount look OK. Anything I should look for when I strip it back down?

What year? 1974's had aluminum housings. My '74 requires almost full compression of the T.S. housing to clamp tight to the mount. The '75 and '76 models were clamped to the mount via an internal u-clamp in the housing.

I can't see how installing new steering head bearings would have anything to do with the mounts.

loose turn signals

Hi, there are 2 roll pins one on each side to locate the turn signal brackets with a notch in the bottom rubber head lamp bracket there is also a rubber ring on the top also since you changed the steer head bearings make sure the bearing cups are well seated, while tightning the top fork nuts, hammer a steel screw driver into the clamp slot with the screws removed, while tightning the top nuts each side, all should tighten up the headlight brackets and therfore the turn signal brackets on the rubber rings, but I would,nt go too far the way it is, what I do if I have been working around the streering head I run up and down a rough road hitting as many bumps as I can ,she will knock or rattle if too loose also loosen your grip at around 30 to 40 mph and if she shakes her head another sign of loose steering, note a worn rear tire can give the same symton best of luck hope this assists ,Jimmy :thumb

Back