• Welcome Guest! If you are already a member of the BMW MOA, please log in to the forum in the upper right hand corner of this page. Check "Remember Me?" if you wish to stay logged in.

We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMWMOA forum provides. Why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the club magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMWMOA offers?

Want to read the MOA monthly magazine for free? Take a 3-month test ride of the magazine; check here for details.

• NOTE. Some content will be hidden from you. If you want to view all content, you must register for the forum if you are not a member, or if a member, you must be logged in.

Stop Sale Transmission 2016 2018 all K1600

flyjets

Not so good news.

It appears there is a issue with the shift fork on the K1600.

11/2016 to 9/ 2019 models effected.

Ian

Attachments

• Screenshot_2019-09-21-08-41-54.png
    Screenshot_2019-09-21-08-41-54.png
    1 MB · Views: 457
Welcome to the forum!
I guess the good news is that BMW will cover it.
There have been a few of these for the bikes and a few for BMW’s high end cars......the cover it.
Again, welcome.
Gary

Bmw not issuing a ride stop

According to CycleWorks of Barrington this is not a safety or significant mechanical issue - BMW will not be issuing a Ride Stop order. More to follow.....

Shift fork

I was looking at buying a K1600B, and then was contacted by a dealership stating the “stop sale” due to shift fork issues..... maybe I’ll keep my 2016 R1200RT and be happy with its having no issues....

Stop Sell

Yeah, it’s a bummer. I just purchased the 2019 K1600B with the Monolith special paint 😁, but now have to wait until the issue is resolved before I can take her home 😫.

Timeline for stop sale?

Yeah, it’s a bummer. I just purchased the 2019 K1600B with the Monolith special paint 😁, but now have to wait until the issue is resolved before I can take her home 😫.

Did they give you any timeline???

Stop sell

Nope... they admitted that they haven’t heard anything. They weren’t even sure what the problem was, although we now know it’s the shift fork. So I don’t have a clue how long this wait will be. Very frustrating 😡.

Nope... they admitted that they haven’t heard anything. They weren’t even sure what the problem was, although we now know it’s the shift fork. So I don’t have a clue how long this wait will be. Very frustrating 😡.

I can’t imagine your frustration...... I would be so itching to ride that bike! I guess I’ll pass the upcoming Winter months thinking about a K1600B...

I hope that you get your bike soon!

This has now become a recall in the US. The recall number is 19V692. Here is what's available on the NHTSA website.

"Summary

BMW of North America, LLC (BMW) is recalling certain 2017-2020 K 1600 GT and 2018-2020 K 1600 GTL and K 1600 B motorcycles. Certain transmission parts may not have been produced to the appropriate hardness level. This could affect the function of the transmission, possibly causing double engagement of two gears and/or the damage of transmission parts.

Remedy

BMW will notify owners, and dealers will replace the shift forks, the selector sleeve of 5th/6th gear and the gear wheel of 6th gear, free of charge. The recall is expected to begin October 17, 2019. Owners may contact BMW customer service at 1-800-525-7417."

That sounds like it's going to be an expensive repair. Won't be done overnight either...

It might not be terrible. The K1600 uses a "cassette" transmission design, so the gears and shafts can be slid out of the bike without splitting the crankcase or tearing the bike in two - unlike the R bikes.
K16trans.jpg

Still, lots of little bits to be removed in preparation:
Preparatory work
Removing gearbox cover
Removing left bottom side panel
Removing left radiator cowl
Removing left side panel
Removing left stowage compartment
Removing right bottom side panel
Removing right radiator cowl
Remove the right side panel
Removing carrier for right bottom side panel
Removing right drop-protection pad
Removing left catalytic-converter shield
Disengaging clamp on left silencer
Removing left silencer
Removing right crankcase cover
Removing clutch
Removing number-plate carrier
Remove the rear wheel
Removing rear brake caliper
Disengaging shift lever
Removing left footrest plate
Disengaging gearbox potentiometer
Removing clutch slave cylinder
Remove the pushrod
Disengaging mounted parts from gearbox
Disengaging actuator rod from rear ride height sensor
Releasing Paralever link at rear
Lowering bevel gears
Disengaging universal shaft

Core activity
Removing gearbox

I suppose the techs have (or will find) some shortcuts in that list. The RepROM shows 38 Flat Rate Units to prep, remove, strip and re-assemble the gearbox, which includes dis-assembly of every shaft, bearing and gear. Google tells me a FRU can be anywhere from 5 to 10 minutes - it has changed over the years and is different for service and warranty work. I'll guess it will be a 3-5 hour job after the tech has done one or two.

The time to simply remove and replace the gearbox on my '06 RT is 54 FRUs, without actually opening it up.

Last edited:
It might not be terrible. The K1600 uses a "cassette" transmission design, so the gears and shafts can be slid out of the bike without splitting the crankcase or tearing the bike in two - unlike the R bikes.
View attachment 75964

Still, lots of little bits to be removed in preparation:
Preparatory work
Removing gearbox cover
Removing left bottom side panel
Removing left radiator cowl
Removing left side panel
Removing left stowage compartment
Removing right bottom side panel
Removing right radiator cowl
Remove the right side panel
Removing carrier for right bottom side panel
Removing right drop-protection pad
Removing left catalytic-converter shield
Disengaging clamp on left silencer
Removing left silencer
Removing right crankcase cover
Removing clutch
Removing number-plate carrier
Remove the rear wheel
Removing rear brake caliper
Disengaging shift lever
Removing left footrest plate
Disengaging gearbox potentiometer
Removing clutch slave cylinder
Remove the pushrod
Disengaging mounted parts from gearbox
Disengaging actuator rod from rear ride height sensor
Releasing Paralever link at rear
Lowering bevel gears
Disengaging universal shaft

Core activity
Removing gearbox

I suppose the techs have (or will find) some shortcuts in that list. The RepROM shows 38 Flat Rate Units to prep, remove, strip and re-assemble the gearbox, which includes dis-assembly of every shaft, bearing and gear. Google tells me a FRU can be anywhere from 5 to 10 minutes - it has changed over the years and is different for service and warranty work. I'll guess it will be a 3-5 hour job after the tech has done one or two.

The time to simply remove and replace the gearbox on my '06 RT is 54 FRUs, without actually opening it up.

I've seen the Technical Service Bulletin and I think it's more involved than you describe. I tried to post it, but it wouldn't upload.

They have to disassemble the gearbox with special tools apparently designed for the recall and required video training.

I was looking to buy a new K1600 with the end of model year sales, but I'm having second thoughts about buying a new bike that requires the dealer to crack open the transmission.

Back