Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: New member from Missoula, Montana

Quote Originally Posted by pearl54 View Post
    Hey Chuck,
    I passed through your beautiful state on my way to Cali last summer. Lucky you to live out that way!
    I now ride a 1600 GT - after putting 70K on my Harley Superglide. I think Rinty is right - I tended to stall a lot also when I started with the GT for a couple of reasons. Harley has five gears GT has 6, sometimes didn't downshift all the way. I could probably get it off in second gear but wasn't revving high enough. I still occasionally stall when the hill start control is operational. Same reason - RPMs not high enough. Anyway, definitely a different machine and I enjoy riding it!
    Happy trails.
    Hey pearl54-

MT is beautiful, but so is a lot of CA. I would trade some of the MT's beauty for the longer CA riding season.

Mostly agree on shifting issues. My Road Glide is a 6 speed. If your Superglide had a 5 speed it must have been a pre-2006 model - Dyna went with a 6 speed in '06. Nice bikes. I do think Rinty hit the nail. I have been watching the RT's rpms and have been having smoother take offs - I do still stall or choke when in "Hill Start" too. There is a big difference in the low end torque of the Road Glide and the RT. At idle on the Road Glide (1100 (?) rpms) if I slowly let the clutch out with no additional throttle, the bike will start rolling w/o hesitation. With the RT that would be a stall. lol.

They are different machines. I am not familiar with the GT, but my RT is a great ride sounds like the GT is too. I took the Road Glide out the other day and I have to admit I will miss the Harley sound after I sell it.

Welcome!

Living that close to the Lolo Pass would be wonderful. So many great rides! Hope to meet you in person at the MOA Rally in Great Falls next June.

Hey Chuck...welcome to the site and to BMW motorcycles. I've ridden through Montana many times and it is definitely one of my favorite places to ride.

I rode through Yellowstone and over the Beartooth about 3 weeks ago, overnighting in Red Lodge. The next day, my riding buddies took a different route back to Denver, but I decided to do Beartooth again on my way back to Bend. I left Red Lodge at 7 am and had the Beartooth to myself all the way to the NE Yellowstone entrance. I've ridden the Beartooth about half a dozen times, but that ride took the award for the best ever. What fun.

I also shared your experience in Yellowstone on the way back through the park. I've ridden through Yellowstone a number of times and always seemed to avoid being stopped in a bison herd...not this time. It was a large herd and having those huge beasts about 6 feet from me, snorting and making noise was pretty intimidating. I kept an eye them and had a couple of escape routes planned if any became aggressive, but it was fine and the car lineup finally started moving. I was in ATGATT, so I figured if that little girl from a couple of months ago could survive being butted 12' in the air with a complete flip wearing a sun dress, I had a pretty good chance of survival. LOL!
    Larry Gregerson; Bend, OR
    MOA #93031

Quote Originally Posted by Scout6 View Post
    Living that close to the Lolo Pass would be wonderful. So many great rides! Hope to meet you in person at the MOA Rally in Great Falls next June.

I do think I take some of our roads here for granted. I don't really think about it much until I get out of MT to the plains and mid west and realize how straight most of the roads are.

We are hoping to make the GF's rally. See you there if we can swing it.

Quote Originally Posted by powwow View Post
    Hey Chuck...welcome to the site and to BMW motorcycles. I've ridden through Montana many times and it is definitely one of my favorite places to ride.

I rode through Yellowstone and over the Beartooth about 3 weeks ago, overnighting in Red Lodge. The next day, my riding buddies took a different route back to Denver, but I decided to do Beartooth again on my way back to Bend. I left Red Lodge at 7 am and had the Beartooth to myself all the way to the NE Yellowstone entrance. I've ridden the Beartooth about half a dozen times, but that ride took the award for the best ever. What fun.

I also shared your experience in Yellowstone on the way back through the park. I've ridden through Yellowstone a number of times and always seemed to avoid being stopped in a bison herd...not this time. It was a large herd and having those huge beasts about 6 feet from me, snorting and making noise was pretty intimidating. I kept an eye them and had a couple of escape routes planned if any became aggressive, but it was fine and the car lineup finally started moving. I was in ATGATT, so I figured if that little girl from a couple of months ago could survive being butted 12' in the air with a complete flip wearing a sun dress, I had a pretty good chance of survival. LOL!

Thanks. I see you are from Bend. I bought a used Road King from the Harley shop there back in 2003(?). I love the country around there. Back in the '80s I use to roam around the high desert south east of you in Lake County whenever we were in the area.

Nice on having the Beartooth to yourself. Hahaha on Yellowstone. I hear you. We were boxed in pretty well by vehicles in front and in the other lane so I didn't have a clear route out.. I contemplated shutting the bike down 'cause I thought if one of those big boys has poor vision he might think the bike was growling and challenging him. lol.