• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

New member from Missoula, Montana

chuck2

Been riding street bikes on and off since 1970, mostly on (think there is a joke in there somewhere). First BWM was bought in late June of this year after returning from a 5K mile destination ride to Tenn & AL from MT. Bike is a 2015 R1200RT. Looks like there is a lot of info on the site. I have a lot to learn about the bike and BMWs in general.

Better half and I took it on a 5 day shake down ride touring Yellowstone and the Beartooth. Bike performed great. I stalled it taking off from a stop maybe 4-5 times. Not sure if its the bike or me, but seemed strange to stall it so often. lol.

Other bikes I still own are Harleys: 2009 Sportster & 2015 Road Glide.

Welcome to the forum from the other side of the mountains. Have a good fall riding season.

Welcome. We live in the Helena area. You should look into the MT BMW Riders (https://mtbmwriders.org/site/a43ce6...mtbmwriders.org/-14_Ride_Schedule_2.html#2544). Our next gathering is on 20 October in Ovando. Good opportunity to meet fellow riders and get technical help with your new ride.

I sent you a private message.

akbeemer - Thanks for the link! I was hoping there was a local group. Think I am in Alabama on the 20th of Oct - If not I will try and make it to Ovando. I sent you a PM. Thanks.

I stalled it taking off from a stop maybe 4-5 times. Not sure if its the bike or me, but seemed strange to stall it so often....

Hi Chuck, and welcome. You live in some beautiful riding country.

The stalling may just be because you're still adjusting to an engine that has different torque characteristics from those of your Harleys. You might need a few more rpms starting in first, particularly when riding 2 up.

I had some stalls, getting off the line, when I first rode a GSXR 750, as it did not have the same low rpm torque as my boxers.

IIRC, I take my R1200ST and R1200RS off the line at about 2,000 rpm.

But I think BMW engineers have designed boxer engines that deliver a nice blend of horsepower and torque. That's been one of the main attractions to the brand for me, over the years.

Last edited:
"Think I am in Alabama on the 20th of Oct - If not I will try and make it to Ovando. "
Well Chuck, welcome to the MOA Forum and the extended BMW family! Enquiring minds want to know, 'Where & Why in AL?'

We're members of the statewide AlaBeemers, but we've also just made Tony's acquaintance of the Huntsville Airheads group. If you're not too busy doing work-sorta-stuff, give us a jingle [or PM]. We haven't lived here but one year, but we know of some rather interesting points to check out... :wave For example, ever heard of the Unclaimed Baggage Store in the NE corner of AL? Always a bargain or two to be had there!
https://www.unclaimedbaggage.com/about/

But our funnest stopover in our town is the Biergarten at the Space and Rocket Center. It Don't Suck Much At All... :thumb
https://rocketcenter.com/Biergarten

Lastly, if you'll be nearer to B'Ham, there's the Barber's Vintage MotorSports Complex! :dance
http://www.barbermuseum.org

That's my 2-cents; worth every penny. Tally Ho, Bro!
HSV-Phil & HSV-Karen

Hi Chuck, and welcome. You live in some beautiful riding country.

The stalling may just be that you're still getting used to an engine that has different torque characteristics from those of your Harleys. You might need a few more rpms starting in first, particularly when riding 2 up.

I had some stalls, getting off the line, when I first rode a GSXR 750, as it did not have the same low rpm torque as my boxers.

I think I take my R1200ST and R1200RS off the line at about 2,000 rpm.

But I think BMW engineers have designed boxer engines that deliver a nice blend of horsepower and torque. That's been one of the main attractions to the brand for me, over the years.

Hey Rinty - I think you hit the nail on the head with the stalls. I have been cautious in rev'ing too much at take off especially when 2 up. I will start to look at the actual rpms rather than listen until I get used to recognizing the RT at 2K rpm. And I agree on the BMW engineers. Thanks for the hint on rpms.

HSVPhil -

Heading to AL because our son and DIL are there with our 9 mo grandson! They are south of Birmingham. Thanks for the links. I will share them with the kids but they are not traveling too far these days. :)

Welcome from Wisconsin

I was born in the great state of Montana. Small town just outside of Helena called Townsend. Sounds like you are not limited to riding in the one of the most beautiful states in the whole country.
Enjoy and be safe.

I was born in the great state of Montana. Small town just outside of Helena called Townsend. Sounds like you are not limited to riding in the one of the most beautiful states in the whole country.
Enjoy and be safe.

That is true - but there is a lot of this great state that I have not seen yet.

Not a bad way to do a shakedown ride. Welcome!

p.s. Nice carousel you have. :)

No kidding! We had a blast and the RT handled the Beartooth with ease - it was great! Had some up close and personal viewing of several Bison :wave, what a rush.

I did the Tail of the Dragon some years ago on a Harley Road King - I was beat afterward. I am looking forward to doing it again on my RT.

Yeah the carousel is nice attraction - all horses were hand carved.

Ex Harley Girl here

Been riding street bikes on and off since 1970, mostly on (think there is a joke in there somewhere). First BWM was bought in late June of this year after returning from a 5K mile destination ride to Tenn & AL from MT. Bike is a 2015 R1200RT. Looks like there is a lot of info on the site. I have a lot to learn about the bike and BMWs in general.

Better half and I took it on a 5 day shake down ride touring Yellowstone and the Beartooth. Bike performed great. I stalled it taking off from a stop maybe 4-5 times. Not sure if its the bike or me, but seemed strange to stall it so often. lol.

Other bikes I still own are Harleys: 2009 Sportster & 2015 Road Glide.

Hey Chuck,
I passed through your beautiful state on my way to Cali last summer. Lucky you to live out that way!
I now ride a 1600 GT - after putting 70K on my Harley Superglide. I think Rinty is right - I tended to stall a lot also when I started with the GT for a couple of reasons. Harley has five gears GT has 6, sometimes didn't downshift all the way. I could probably get it off in second gear but wasn't revving high enough. I still occasionally stall when the hill start control is operational. Same reason - RPMs not high enough. Anyway, definitely a different machine and I enjoy riding it!
Happy trails.

Hey Chuck,
I passed through your beautiful state on my way to Cali last summer. Lucky you to live out that way!
I now ride a 1600 GT - after putting 70K on my Harley Superglide. I think Rinty is right - I tended to stall a lot also when I started with the GT for a couple of reasons. Harley has five gears GT has 6, sometimes didn't downshift all the way. I could probably get it off in second gear but wasn't revving high enough. I still occasionally stall when the hill start control is operational. Same reason - RPMs not high enough. Anyway, definitely a different machine and I enjoy riding it!
Happy trails.

Hey pearl54-

MT is beautiful, but so is a lot of CA. I would trade some of the MT's beauty for the longer CA riding season.

Mostly agree on shifting issues. My Road Glide is a 6 speed. If your Superglide had a 5 speed it must have been a pre-2006 model - Dyna went with a 6 speed in '06. Nice bikes. I do think Rinty hit the nail. I have been watching the RT's rpms and have been having smoother take offs - I do still stall or choke when in "Hill Start" too. There is a big difference in the low end torque of the Road Glide and the RT. At idle on the Road Glide (1100 (?) rpms) if I slowly let the clutch out with no additional throttle, the bike will start rolling w/o hesitation. With the RT that would be a stall. lol.

They are different machines. I am not familiar with the GT, but my RT is a great ride sounds like the GT is too. I took the Road Glide out the other day and I have to admit I will miss the Harley sound after I sell it. :)

Welcome!

Living that close to the Lolo Pass would be wonderful. So many great rides! Hope to meet you in person at the MOA Rally in Great Falls next June.

Hey Chuck...welcome to the site and to BMW motorcycles. I've ridden through Montana many times and it is definitely one of my favorite places to ride.

I rode through Yellowstone and over the Beartooth about 3 weeks ago, overnighting in Red Lodge. The next day, my riding buddies took a different route back to Denver, but I decided to do Beartooth again on my way back to Bend. I left Red Lodge at 7 am and had the Beartooth to myself all the way to the NE Yellowstone entrance. I've ridden the Beartooth about half a dozen times, but that ride took the award for the best ever. What fun.

I also shared your experience in Yellowstone on the way back through the park. I've ridden through Yellowstone a number of times and always seemed to avoid being stopped in a bison herd...not this time. It was a large herd and having those huge beasts about 6 feet from me, snorting and making noise was pretty intimidating. I kept an eye them and had a couple of escape routes planned if any became aggressive, but it was fine and the car lineup finally started moving. I was in ATGATT, so I figured if that little girl from a couple of months ago could survive being butted 12' in the air with a complete flip wearing a sun dress, I had a pretty good chance of survival. LOL!

Living that close to the Lolo Pass would be wonderful. So many great rides! Hope to meet you in person at the MOA Rally in Great Falls next June.

I do think I take some of our roads here for granted. I don't really think about it much until I get out of MT to the plains and mid west and realize how straight most of the roads are. :)

We are hoping to make the GF's rally. See you there if we can swing it.

Hey Chuck...welcome to the site and to BMW motorcycles. I've ridden through Montana many times and it is definitely one of my favorite places to ride.

I rode through Yellowstone and over the Beartooth about 3 weeks ago, overnighting in Red Lodge. The next day, my riding buddies took a different route back to Denver, but I decided to do Beartooth again on my way back to Bend. I left Red Lodge at 7 am and had the Beartooth to myself all the way to the NE Yellowstone entrance. I've ridden the Beartooth about half a dozen times, but that ride took the award for the best ever. What fun.

I also shared your experience in Yellowstone on the way back through the park. I've ridden through Yellowstone a number of times and always seemed to avoid being stopped in a bison herd...not this time. It was a large herd and having those huge beasts about 6 feet from me, snorting and making noise was pretty intimidating. I kept an eye them and had a couple of escape routes planned if any became aggressive, but it was fine and the car lineup finally started moving. I was in ATGATT, so I figured if that little girl from a couple of months ago could survive being butted 12' in the air with a complete flip wearing a sun dress, I had a pretty good chance of survival. LOL!

Thanks. I see you are from Bend. I bought a used Road King from the Harley shop there back in 2003(?). I love the country around there. Back in the '80s I use to roam around the high desert south east of you in Lake County whenever we were in the area.

Nice on having the Beartooth to yourself. Hahaha on Yellowstone. I hear you. We were boxed in pretty well by vehicles in front and in the other lane so I didn't have a clear route out.:blush. I contemplated shutting the bike down 'cause I thought if one of those big boys has poor vision he might think the bike was growling and challenging him. lol.

Back