• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Cam tensioner gasket - '14 R1200RT

strataj

BoxFlyer says I need to use a copper casket, I don't have that size but do have it in aluminum since it's the same as the oil drain. What is the reason for copper only? I wanted to check my cam timing this weekend before heading out on a trip.

Perhaps auto-correct gasket?
I’m thinking you are looking for a copper “crush washer” gasket? I don’t know the size is but most of the chain auto parts stores have pretty good selections.
OM

Do you have the bike year and model? Helpful for finding the parts. I assumed a 2017 R1200RT and found item #5 on this diagram:

https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/sh...-K52-BMW-R_1200_RT_0A03,_0A13_&diagId=11_5170

It lists "A20X24 CU"...the CU means copper. My guess is that the ID is 20mm while the OD is 24mm...looks like the thickness is 1.5mm:

https://www.grease-lubrication.com/skf-flat-washer.html

I googled "A20x24 CU" and find it used in a variety of devices...maybe some other sources are around?

BoxFlyer says I need to use a copper casket, I don't have that size but do have it in aluminum since it's the same as the oil drain. What is the reason for copper only? I wanted to check my cam timing this weekend before heading out on a trip.

Sorry I didn't post the year and model it's a 14 R1200RT. Yes it's the copper 20 X 24 crush washer. Boxflyer says to use copper not aluminum, I was wondering why?

I was wondering why?

Who knows what the engineers were doing? Maybe the copper is better heat transfer? Better crushability? For something somewhat critical to engine operation, I'd be inclined to use the proper washer/gasket.

I will change the thread title to include year/model.

The cam chain tensioner crush washer is A20x24x1.5 Copper, bmw part # 7119963342 and requires 30Nm of torque

The oil drain plug crush washer is A20x24 Aluminum, bmw part # 7119963340 and requires 42 Nm of torque

You can buy bags of both on eBay. Or order them by part number from places like BikeBandit. My guess is that the cam chain tensioner is copper because it achieves a good seal with less torque than aluminum.

Cap

Thanks everyone! I got a response from a guru on another forum. He said the gasket ring thickness effects spring tension.

That thickness makes no difference to that spring tension in the cam chain tensioner.

I don’t think the thickness effects the spring either.

Helge Pedersen, in the Globe Riders F800GS DVD, mentions that the crush washer can be “rejuvenated” in an oven.
I can’t find an exact quote from Helge, but did find info from the Ferrari forum-

One of the unique things about copper is that it "work hardens". You can see it do this if you've ever tried to bend a copper wire and then try to bend it back. Because of the work hardening effect, it actually gets stronger where you bent it so it will not bend back in the same place but somewhere nearby where its softer. This would mean that a hard washer wouldn't conform to surface irregularities as well and may not seal.

Torquing down a copper washer and leaving it there can have this effect also. Annealing (heating to red hot and allowing it to cool) will reverse the effect so that the washer is soft again and can seal better. It can be done over and over again.

https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/copper-washers.3922/

I think that if is so important, filter manufacturers should include it with the filter..........or at least train the “parts counter” to ask if you have a gasket while you are buying the filter.

As an aside, I recently ordered a filter for the F800GS through MAX’s amazon portal. There was no provision to order the drain plug gasket but guess what- no need. Taped to the filter was the washer :clap
That’s the way to do it

I guess for the years that changing the drain gasket was never mentioned (in the engine world), everyone was just lucky :dunno
OM

I don’t think the thickness effects the spring either. ...

Well, it does. You can prove it to yourself with a thought experiment. If the washer were a half-inch thick, would the tip of the cam chain tensioner be in the right place to touch the cam chain?

So, the real question is, "Does the aluminum washer have a different thickness than the copper, after torquing?" And I think the answer is, "probably, but the difference will be so small that it won't affect the operation of the cam chain tensioner."

See, that's the problem with making bold statements on the internet, in the presence of nit-picking engineers! :wave

Cap

Well, it does. You can prove it to yourself with a thought experiment. If the washer were a half-inch thick, would the tip of the cam chain tensioner be in the right place to touch the cam chain?

So, the real question is, "Does the aluminum washer have a different thickness than the copper, after torquing?" And I think the answer is, "probably, but the difference will be so small that it won't affect the operation of the cam chain tensioner."

See, that's the problem with making bold statements on the internet, in the presence of nit-picking engineers! :wave

Cap

Where did the concept of replacing a crush washer, be it copper or aluminum, with something a half inch thick come from :scratch
I guess a suitably extended came tensioner could fix the extra difference the half inch made. Sounds like a lot of extra work.
Must be out of the box of nit-picks :wave
OM

I did my cam timing this weekend thanks to Cap, Lee and Omega Man and for sure not to leave out BoxFlyer! The bike a 14R1200RT has over 36,000 sMiles.

Lee please note the cam timing was off a little on both sides. I heated the copper gaskets and with cleaning them up was able to reuse them, no leaks. I've order new gaskets if I do others or recheck mine. One tip is to be sure you have a 16mm torque adapter https://www.mactools.com/en-us/Wren...9c05/3-8-Drive-Metric-Box-End-Torque-Adapters - my 16mm crowfoot didn't work, not enough reach.

BoxFlyer's video was of great help (Thank you BoxFlyer!) but I need to mention one error. The torque on the cam nuts is 65Nm per the BMW Repair DVD.

... One tip is to be sure you have a 16mm torque adapter https://www.mactools.com/en-us/Wren...9c05/3-8-Drive-Metric-Box-End-Torque-Adapters - my 16mm crowfoot didn't work, not enough reach...

I also spent $30 for a Snapon 16mm torque adapter... and then Boxflyer told me that he uses a 5/8” torque adapter which is the same as 16mm .... much cheaper. D’oh

Glad to hear it went well. I find that the most confusing step is setting the cam position sensor. There’s a line and a notch that must be aligned. But not the center of the line to the center of the notch. Very strange. I suspect it doesn’t make a difference as long as you’re close, and consistent from left to right cylinders. How did you do it?

I also spent $30 for a Snapon 16mm torque adapter... and then Boxflyer told me that he uses a 5/8” torque adapter which is the same as 16mm .... much cheaper. D’oh

Glad to hear it went well. I find that the most confusing step is setting the cam position sensor. There’s a line and a notch that must be aligned. But not the center of the line to the center of the notch. Very strange. I suspect it doesn’t make a difference as long as you’re close, and consistent from left to right cylinders. How did you do it?

Yep 5/8" is the same as 16mm but didn't check a cost difference. I didn't know the details you describe concerning the cam position sensor so I lined it up to center. It seems to run fine. If it's off would it effect the stick coil at some point? How do you line it up if not to center?

...How do you line it up if not to center?

The way that Boxflyer explained it to me is that you point the line at the left side of the notch, so that the line intersects the point at which the notch begins. Why?:dunno

Given the precision of the other aspects of this procedure, I found the sensor alignment process to be somewhat arbitrary. My conclusion is that consistency from side to side is the important thing, and that the engine computer will adjust as necessary for precise ignition timing. Still, it seems to me that there should be a better way. For example, why not place two lines on the matching parts, rather than a line and a somewhat vague notch?

Here's a link to a less expensive torque adapter for those who are considering this task: https://www.zoro.com/proto-torque-adapter-38-in-dr-2-78-in-j5120/i/G7588341/

As stated at the start of this thread I recently checked and adjusted my Cam Timing. I just got back from a 2225 sMiles trip, I can say it's made a difference in starting the bike. It's starts on the first touch and sooner. Worth checking in my option.

Back