Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Pacific Northwest Closures....... (BMW, Ducati, KTM, Indian)

Quote Originally Posted by trevorf View Post
    Really? I thought the US economy was on fire??
    The economy is one thing, a slowly changing or dieing motorcycle industry is another.
    From the only real Fargo, ND!

Quote Originally Posted by PoorUB View Post
    The economy is one thing, a slowly changing or dieing motorcycle industry is another.
    Nah......the MC industry is a subset of the general economy. In the US, I would argue it's an indicator of the relative wealth of the 50+ year old household. A decade or so ago, the question was ......... "Can I afford that MC, RV, etc with my pension and SS?" Today, the question is .......... "Can I afford that MC, RV, etc with the 3% annual withdrawal from my 401(k) and my SS?"

It's a big change.
    Cave contents: 16 R12RS, 13 Toyota Tacoma, 03 Simplicity Legacy, 97 Stihl FS75, Dewalt DW625 & SawStop PCS175
    1) My expectations are never low enough & 2) Incompetence is infinite ........David Brooks

I agree the economy has much to do with it, but times are changing, riders are getting old, and the younger generation does not seem as interested in motorcycles. If the economy was gang busters right now motorcycle sales would still be in a slump. I just wonder with the changes in vehicles, battery power and millennials if motorcycles will survive, at least in the current form.
    From the only real Fargo, ND!

Quote Originally Posted by PoorUB View Post
    I agree the economy has much to do with it, but times are changing, riders are getting old, and the younger generation does not seem as interested in motorcycles. If the economy was gang busters right now motorcycle sales would still be in a slump. I just wonder with the changes in vehicles, battery power and millennials if motorcycles will survive, at least in the current form.
    Current sales (when adjusted for the population) are similar to what they were in the 1990's (when the economy really was growing and the deficits shrinking). Yep, the easy credit and 2nd mortgages of the 2000-2007 period resulted in a boom of middle age and older riders, but that's passing. We're just going back to the MC market before that time. It's going to be a big change, especially for Harley. The other brands have lived thru this before, I'm not sure Harley (especially the dealerships) will be able to re-adjust to a pre-2000 market.
    Cave contents: 16 R12RS, 13 Toyota Tacoma, 03 Simplicity Legacy, 97 Stihl FS75, Dewalt DW625 & SawStop PCS175
    1) My expectations are never low enough & 2) Incompetence is infinite ........David Brooks

'99 '03 '06 National Co-Rally Chair Friedle's Avatar
    Really? I thought the US economy was on fire??
    On fire or burning down ???? Depends on who you ask, Wall Street or small town Main Street.

Friedle
    Ride fast safely

Quote Originally Posted by Friedle View Post
    On fire or burning down ???? Depends on who you ask, Wall Street or small town Main Street.

Friedle
    2 weeks ago I was looking at a new car in a rural PA dealership. The salesman said he couldn't offer more than a 5% discount from MSRP because sedans were simply flying off the lot. They simply couldn't keep them in stock.

The following day, I called a dealership in the DC area, they offered 20% off MSRP with no trade. The sedan was in-stock.

So, I can only infer, Central PA must be the epicenter of the economic boom!

Kent Christensen
    '12 R1200RT, '02 R1100S, '84 R80G/S

MS Project??? He's responsible for that? Curse his soul!

The last sentence is all you need to know

In the Seattle-area motorcycle community, Crow is something of a mystery man. According to online reports, he was an enthusiastic racer; his LinkedIn profile shows that he has been at Microsoft since 1997, most recently as a manager of teams for Microsoft Planner, Project, Project Server and Project Online, but shows no motorcycle industry background.

The last sentence is all you need to know

In the Seattle-area motorcycle community, Crow is something of a mystery man. According to online reports, he was an enthusiastic racer; his LinkedIn profile shows that he has been at Microsoft since 1997, most recently as a manager of teams for Microsoft Planner, Project, Project Server and Project Online, but shows no motorcycle industry background.
    Ever use MS Project???

Quote Originally Posted by 36654 View Post
    Ever use MS Project???
    That was my first thought. It's a wonder these dealers didn't fold sooner. I sincerely hope a competent businessman buys it ups and restarts it.
    '13 R1200RT 90th Anniversary Edition

Quote Originally Posted by pappy35 View Post
    That was my first thought. It's a wonder these dealers didn't fold sooner. I sincerely hope a competent businessman buys it ups and restarts it.
    In my experience, the best clue for identifying an incompetent manager is the statement.......... "We're going to use MS Project to track manpower and cost!!"

It's useful for task scheduling and identifying the critical path tasks. But, manpower and cost tracking are best left to real software

Just drove by the BMW dealership and two very large flatbed trucks were being loaded with the motorcycles from inside the dealership. Can't be a good sign.

I was just up on Lopez Island for a memorial service last weekend and when leaving Sunday morning and driving down to Portland I saw a ton of bikes on the road in the rain for whatever reason. Mostly in Anacortes and driving from there to Hwy 5. Lots of BMW's.
    Signature

30 or 40 years of the Oyster run , Big event, was last weekend in Antcortes, WA. Lots of all makes.