• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Pacific Northwest Closures....... (BMW, Ducati, KTM, Indian)

crna59

NobleRush has ceased operations. The following dealers have been shuttered:

* NobleRush Seattle (Ducati, BMW, KTM)
* NobleRush Redmond (Ducati)
* NobleRush Auburn (formerly Hinshaw's Motorcycle Store, multiple lines)
* Indian Motorcycles of Auburn

Pretty sad..... employees knew nothing!

Very sad! Hate hearing these stories. Principals want their staff to be dedicated, but they show no allegiances to them in a situation as you describe. So much for their humanity.

Very sad! Hate hearing these stories. Principals want their staff to be dedicated, but they show no allegiances to them in a situation as you describe. So much for their humanity.

I understand a business going under. If it's not making a profit, then it won't survive. But not letting your employee's know, so they have a chance to find employment elsewhere and won't be left hanging, well that's just wrong to me. Seems to happen in the restaurant business a lot. Open one day, closed the next and the employee's are left with no income.

Loyalty is a two way street. If you're not loyal to your customers, subordinates or staff, then don't expect them to be loyal to you.

I understand a business going under. If it's not making a profit, then it won't survive. But not letting your employee's know, so they have a chance to find employment elsewhere and won't be left hanging, well that's just wrong to me.

Another way to look at it...if the employees know that a business is in trouble, they may depart of their own accord leaving the business in dire straits. Further, anyone who is paying attention can usually see the writing on the wall.

Not saying its right, just stating an alternate point of view. Either way, it sucks for whoever is out of a job.

Another way to look at it...if the employees know that a business is in trouble, they may depart of their own accord leaving the business in dire straits. Further, anyone who is paying attention can usually see the writing on the wall.

Not saying its right, just stating an alternate point of view. Either way, it sucks for whoever is out of a job.

If anything it sounds like business was already in dire straits. So why put your employees in the same status...pathetic. Even if business was hurting or not, not every parts, sales, tech person isn't looking over profit/loss statements or knows how leveraged the principal/investors are, or want to be? Perhaps a prime investor decides he's not going to cover his next portion to the kitty because his two other non related businesses are hurting...and creates a 90 day short fall dilemma?

Things were going along fairly well at the only Indiana shop until owner decided his other business interest needed more room to expand and now the franchises are going away. Granted in that case the owner was human and everyone was informed. One never knows what any business really has going on behind the "office" door. However, everyone (owner/principal) can step up and treat others as they'd like to (should) be treated.

Last edited:
I understand a business going under. If it's not making a profit, then it won't survive. But not letting your employee's know, so they have a chance to find employment elsewhere and won't be left hanging, well that's just wrong to me. .

Which is exactly what the BMW MOA did when they terminated the ladies in the St. Louis office and moved to South Carolina. Three hours notice and clean your stuff out. Bye!

They did get some severance but still ...

Ask any of them how it feels. Oh wait. They had to sign a nondisclosure agreement so never mind, don't ask.

Last edited:
Cutting your employees off at the knees like that with no notice is inhumane.
Seems like the Corporate world attitudes are trickling down to the local level more and more.
Sad.
I'm an employer and I try to put myself in my peoples shoes.
Not that I'm perfect, but I do try.
I came up through the trenches and know what its like to be treated poorly.

Not treating employees well from top down was the root cause of this failure to begin with... sticking it to them in the end was just more of the same. When Dave Swezey left shortly after Keith sold Ride West a few years back, the writing of this chapter had already begun, it's just been a matter of time.

The bad news... this temporarily sucks for those in our community who need dealership support in the short term.

The good news... Seattle has a lot to look forward to - there are several good operators in the US already noodling around stepping into this now open point for BMW, who all posses the ability and drive to bring back a far more complete partnership and experience for our community. Hang tight...

Thank you for your perspective. I mostly agree. In a business the size of a motorcycle shop no one is ignorant of the situation and has been long before the curtain falls. There are business failures due to stupid ideas, from jump street. There are business failures due to incompetent owners. There are business failures due to market changes, an inescapable liquidity spiral; controlled impact with terrain. Also, let's limit this discussion where it belongs, small business. We can leave the "Titans of Industry" for a separate category.

I had a precision contract fabrication business shot out from under me by NAFDA/Mexico and then China as the final blow. Eighty-five dedicated, skilled, hard working employees lost their jobs and I lost a sh^t ton of money in spite of every maneuver possible to survive. (Category 3). No whining here, it was a "get off", painful but survivable with extreme effort.

If anyone feels strongly that Seattle, Redmond and Auburn are now underserved and wants to open a new franchise, step up. Actually some ex-shop employees may step in and provide indie services, all good. "Either way it sucks for whoever is out of a job", including employees and small business owners who see a lot of money down the drain. Sh^t happens, life goes on....

Ask any of them how it feels. Oh wait. They had to sign a nondisclosure agreement so never mind, don't ask.

Yo Big Bend: You ever been fired? No NDA can hide how it feels. All of us who have been there know it sucks. Closest thing to a GF break-up, possibly worse since it involves a pay check? I'm not a MOA apologist, just hanging around, but....you say "Severance" which could include $ and Health Insurance continuance? I would have loved to have had a guaranteed job for life, but lack of same kept me on the road to new adventures.

Yo Big Bend: You ever been fired? No NDA can hide how it feels. All of us who have been there know it sucks.

Well, actually sort of. I was working for an engineering firm that had several offices. They decided for economic reasons to close the office where I worked when Federal water and wastewater grant programs were terminated. They gave us six months notice that the office would be closing. We wound down our current projects. Then we bought a whole bunch of their equipment and records and opened a new four-partner office doing the same types of work. That was in the '80s when businesses had ethics, employees were trusted, and people were not deemed disposable.

This shop open in 1961. Several different owners since then. The latest owner did not paid his bills, sad to say.:cry

Well, actually sort of. I was working for an engineering firm that had several offices. They decided for economic reasons to close the office where I worked when Federal water and wastewater grant programs were terminated. They gave us six months notice that the office would be closing. We wound down our current projects. Then we bought a whole bunch of their equipment and records and opened a new four-partner office doing the same types of work. That was in the '80s when businesses had ethics, employees were trusted, and people were not deemed disposable.

Ya know, it's easy to see the wage compression in several manufacturing jobs, but the cut in benefits and, let's call it decency, for the employee is really a bigger change. Possibly getting a severance package, if one signs an NDA is one of those little jabs. Of course, today, it's not uncommon to sign an NDA to get a job.

Yes, relative to a working career, I'm glad I'm not young.

The economy is one thing, a slowly changing or dieing motorcycle industry is another.

Nah......the MC industry is a subset of the general economy. In the US, I would argue it's an indicator of the relative wealth of the 50+ year old household. A decade or so ago, the question was ......... "Can I afford that MC, RV, etc with my pension and SS?" Today, the question is .......... "Can I afford that MC, RV, etc with the 3% annual withdrawal from my 401(k) and my SS?"

It's a big change.

I agree the economy has much to do with it, but times are changing, riders are getting old, and the younger generation does not seem as interested in motorcycles. If the economy was gang busters right now motorcycle sales would still be in a slump. I just wonder with the changes in vehicles, battery power and millennials if motorcycles will survive, at least in the current form.

I agree the economy has much to do with it, but times are changing, riders are getting old, and the younger generation does not seem as interested in motorcycles. If the economy was gang busters right now motorcycle sales would still be in a slump. I just wonder with the changes in vehicles, battery power and millennials if motorcycles will survive, at least in the current form.

Current sales (when adjusted for the population) are similar to what they were in the 1990's (when the economy really was growing and the deficits shrinking). Yep, the easy credit and 2nd mortgages of the 2000-2007 period resulted in a boom of middle age and older riders, but that's passing. We're just going back to the MC market before that time. It's going to be a big change, especially for Harley. The other brands have lived thru this before, I'm not sure Harley (especially the dealerships) will be able to re-adjust to a pre-2000 market.

Back