• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

1995 K75 rear caliper o ring

rall275

I am rebuilding the front and rear brake calipers on the 1995 and each of the fronts use a small o ring seal. The rear caliper is a little different and it appears to use two of them, though I can't recall seeing two and the schematics do not show two. Does it only use one, and if so, which side?

Photos of the two halves of the caliper. Arrows show the locations where o-rings appear to go. I should have paid better attention when I disassembled.

Thank you.

Attachments

• half2sml.jpg
    half2sml.jpg
    125.4 KB · Views: 58
  • rearhalfsml.jpg
    rearhalfsml.jpg
    132.2 KB · Views: 59
Rall,

The overhaul kit comes with two O-rings. Put one in each hole.

The front calipers are slightly different from the rear and take different size pads. Make sure you use fa-18 pads on the rear and fa-171 on the front.

:dance:dance:dance

Rall,

The overhaul kit comes with two O-rings. Put one in each hole.

The front calipers are slightly different from the rear and take different size pads. Make sure you use fa-18 pads on the rear and fa-171 on the front.

Thanks. I do have the correct carbonne lorraine pads for front and rear. Pictures of the rebuild kits only shoe one o ring per caliper so I hope they do come with 2. Will update when they come in. Btw, the clymers manual doesn't even depict the different rear caliper. Who proofread that? Thanks for the help.

Calipers mounted

I got the rebuild kits and each had an o ring inside the package and another stapled to the outside. You were right, two per kit!

I rebuilt and mounted without too much difficulty, though the limited space in the rear was more challenging. The pads in the rear depended within the caliper with the lower edges touching, which was not quite the way of the fronts which were vertical. Perhaps some activation will address this. I await arrival of my Spiegler lines, a little different from the 1988 set.

I few photos of the calipers:

Attachments

• rearcalbacksml.jpg
    rearcalbacksml.jpg
    133.6 KB · Views: 35
  • rearpadsml.jpg
    rearpadsml.jpg
    124.4 KB · Views: 36
  • rebuiltcalsml.jpg
    rebuiltcalsml.jpg
    144.4 KB · Views: 36
  • rtfrontsml.jpg
    rtfrontsml.jpg
    110.5 KB · Views: 35
The pads in the rear depended within the caliper with the lower edges touching:

??? Please explain.

Are you sure you used the correct pads for the rear? They are a different part number and are a millimeter or two different size than the fronts.

Explanation

As the pads hand from the pins once installed, the bottom edges touch, not with force but just gravity. The top edges lay flat as they should. I don't see anything out of sorts. I drew this little sketch just to illustrate what I mean:

Attachments

• IMG_20190922_155346430_2.jpg
    IMG_20190922_155346430_2.jpg
    466 KB · Views: 22
Back